Is Football REALLY "king" in SE Texas? Numbers say NO!!!

Guest DickVitale

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

Bribe them how? By opening the gym and letting them choose, because thats all that basketball coaches do....and what do paranoid football coaches do? TRY to run them out, but it NEVER works, because they will be right back every day....Football is king? PLEASE... ::)

Also-ran? You sound like a football coach.....WOW....also-ran? gimme a break ::) ::) Why are football coaches CONSTANTLY running guys OUT of the gyms? PARANOID....Kids like basketball better...They are sickening, those football coaches....sickening! >:(

Ok, I again think that maybe someone has a "chip" on their shoulder.  It was a good question for debate, but lets look at the BIGGER picture here.  Whether it's basketball, football, baseball, tennis, volleyball, soccer, etc.  its a win-win situation all the way around.  Our young men and women are able to show thier athletic talents; parents, grandparents, and other relatives can enjoy and root them own.  The BIGGER picture is, does it really matter what sport is "King?"  Its more important, that these young men and women, through team and individual sports are able to develop, not only athletic skills, but "life skills" they will need in order to be successful in their futures.  Just my opinion.

You say everyone leaves after the half time show...what is your argument for all the small schools in SETX who don't have drill teams or anything like that their stands are packed shoulder to shoulder form kick-off til the end

And i like the saying "if football was easy then basketball players would play" but they cant so they stick to basketball....when i see a basketball player make it threw 2-a-days in 100 degree heat then i listen!!!

Guest DickVitale

Basketball is a SKILLED sport..YOU cannot just specialize in one thing and play basketball....EVERYBODY cant play basketball, ANYBODY can suit up and play FOOLSBALL...Basketball is an elitist sport... ;)

Personally I love basketball. Have played it my whole life. Went to a couple of home high school basketball games this year but saw all the home football games and most of the away games. I also watched some playoff football games that were not affiliated with my home town team. I did not see any playoff basketball games. Had the home town team made the playoffs in basketball I probably would have went and watched them if the travel wasn't too far. I've actually seen more softball games this year than basketball games. If you ask me which I prefer to play it would be basketball by a long shot. But for overall popularity of fan excitement my opinion is football is king.

band, drill teams, pep squads, and cheerleaders, along with squads of more than 35-40.....THATS why? NEXT! ;)

That's not why 1000's are there.   NEXT!

More than HALF of football fans LEAVE after the halftime show....FACT.....SAW IT NUMEROUS TIMES.....NEXT!!

But revenue wise, even if they leave at half time the money is spent so football remains king financially, plus even though there are some that leave like that, by the fourth quarter, there are normally more fans in the stands at football games than there are at basketball during the entire game. Now if you were to figure the cost per fan.......b-ball may take it.

Look Dick, you can have your opinion, but that won't change anything. Why? You're a basketball fanatic! That's your world! It's not possible for you to imagine life any other way! The problem is that football is a much larger sport in SETX. <you see that period? As far as settling this arguement with satatistics, it is possible. Since you can't deny that athletics are about the kids, here is how:

Compile the numbers of players from each sport in SETX that have gone on to play ball at the next level. Don't leave out baseball either because I think you will find that basketball isn't even a close second.

Have fun cuz I'm not gonna do it.

Oh, and don't forget about locally supported semi-pro teams Dick.

band, drill teams, pep squads, and cheerleaders, along with squads of more than 35-40.....THATS why? NEXT! ;)

Uh, no. When you take away all those kids you mention, and count just the adults in the stands that are not in school any longer, football wins hands-down everytime.

I'd venture to say that most high school basketball games, especially girls' basketball, don't draw in as many fans altogether as just the amount of kids band, drill teams, pep squads, and cheerleading at the football games until MAYBE the playoffs. And that is on both the home and visitors' sides!

In other words, take away the kids you mentioned, and a football crowd squashes a basketball crowd everytime in SETX at most, if not all, schools.

I think ol' Dickie just wanted to get yall all worked up.... And it looked like it worked...

We all love football with a passion and it is statistically NUMBER 1 in TEXAS...  SETX feels the same way, but we have been much more competitive in basketball of late... 

BUT the football players have been far more elite on the next level.... And quite a few have cracked the Pros....  We have only two pro basketball players, and a couple of good D1 players but no big time D1 recruits in basketball.  BUT we put out a few in football year in and year out!

The reason is this.  Football is king in Texas.  Therefore every team in the state of Texas works hard to win it all.  That makes it very difficult to win as many championships in Texas.  On the other hand, I dont think as much emphasis throughout the state is put into BB.  Therefore making it easier for a select few to have more success.

Heres a question.  How many SETX BB schools played for State Championship?  In Football I believe that Kirbyville and Dayton both played for a championship.

Not trying to say that BB is not important. At our school its ALL important!

I just don't see how basketball is an elite sport. Football is much harder on the body, and if it isn't then you are playing it wrong. The reason you might not see guys jumping to toss the pigskin around is, well, most people can't throw a football, but even then I don't know of anyone that has turned down a Thanksgiving or Christmas pickup game. Basketball really isn't that difficult. Sorry.

An elite sport ...yes thats why there are so few playing basketball, its hard to be any good at it..Sure alot of people play, but not many that are any good...Football is more popular, more people play it.Big guys can play and little guys can play...Same as basketball, but there is a higher skill level that goes along with it..Two different high intensity sports, both are fun to play and watch...Leave the wheelchairs out of it, poor example and hope I dont have to explain..

In most schools you get 50-100 people in the stands for run,holler,shoot and foller (Basketball). You have to pay the referees, clock workers, etc..

If it wasn't for the money made in Football from the gate, Basketball in most places would be played in the school yard after school.

Go watch the NBA channel dude and leave the Football site.

An elite sport ...yes thats why there are so few playing basketball, its hard to be any good at it..Sure alot of people play, but not many that are any good...Football is more popular, more people play it.Big guys can play and little guys can play...Same as basketball, but there is a higher skill level that goes along with it..Two different high intensity sports, both are fun to play and watch...Leave the wheelchairs out of it, poor example and hope I dont have to explain..

Don't get righteous with me.

Yes it was probably not the best assessment, but I don't think he meant it that way.  Don't they play Donkey BB?...maybe that was a pour example...don't want PETA climbing down my throat for involving animals in a sport where they are ridden!  You don't have to take it out of context.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mmj0
    Newest Member
    mmj0