Is Football REALLY "king" in SE Texas? Numbers say NO!!!

Guest DickVitale

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football, in Texas, has always been and always be the pinnacle sport in this great state, period.  This ain't Connecticut or Indiana, this is Texas and Football is what opens the doors in our high schools and it always will.  Anyone who thinks that basketball is number one in this state, needs counseling.

In all my years of high school, (there were only four), and all the years that have expired since, I have NEVER attended a basketball game.  Basketball sucks!

I have, however, attended many football games.

maybe that is because lumberton has never been that good at basketball which prooves the point that if you ask the question which sport is king lumberton people would tell you that football is king but i bet if you go to kountze or HJ or even Ozen they would tell you that basketball is king the schools that it is tough to tell which sport is king or the schools like EC, Silsbee and other schools that seem to do well in both sports

I just don't see how basketball is an elite sport. Football is much harder on the body, and if it isn't then you are playing it wrong. The reason you might not see guys jumping to toss the pigskin around is, well, most people can't throw a football, but even then I don't know of anyone that has turned down a Thanksgiving or Christmas pickup game. Basketball really isn't that difficult. Sorry. One question. Don't guys in wheelchairs play basketball??

Excellent!

would'nt call it righteous, would call it CLASS.....and sure anybody can play donkey basketball, but not just anybody can play the real thing...Seen some mighty good ATHLETES run down the court shaking their heads in disbelief....

Forgive me! I see it now! I was ignorantly being sexist...I should have said "people" not "guys"

Not really poking fun, so call off the dogs. You're the one that wishes to explore the comment deeper, bringing out all but positive connotations. The observation was merely that such a "skill" sport can be played without the use of legs. By me not realizing the correlation I would thereby shun them from associated conversation, and that's just disrespectful.

nope we have had a couple of them down here already, The Golden Gators were the last ones, back in the 80's I think.  None of the teams lasted very long.  Look at whats happened to hockey also.

Actually, I thought that the Beaumont Bullfrogs had a short stint here around the early- or mid-1990s. The Golden Gators were in the 1980s.

It is considered a football area by the amount of Divion I recruits that come from this area. Have not done the math, but I would bet there are more Divion I players from the golden triangle playing in college, than most of the areas in TEX.  Its not how many people attend games, its the athletes. Just like a basketball game, many people attend the games for various reasons and many leave before the game ends, (even at HJ, KOUNTZE, etc.) But over all, more football players are chosen to play college football  in this area than basketball. 

In fact I think is a state thing rather than a area thing.  Most college recruits come from Texas, Florida and CAL.

Everything is cyclical.  I think it is great that the area has had a good run in basketball titles of late.  I personally think that Lamar bringing football back is going to have a positive impact on the success of local HS football.  In fact, Lamars success in the late 70's and early 80's could have had a positive impact on local basketball.  Regardless, and I was a basketball guy myself in HS, football is still the most popular sport in Texas and the USA from junior high all the way to the pros.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder