Vidor 3-2 LCM, final...

It was a good game.  Vidor jumped out to a 3-0 lead with some nice passing.  LC-M battled back strong to make the score 3-2.  But it was too little, too late.

Fun game for the fans to watch.  The officiating was some of the best that I have seen all season.  The attendance was good and they made some noise.  Games like this one  will make soccer  a more popular sport.

Way to go Pirates and Bears. 

Great game....Sorry that it had to be the Bears that lost :( :(.  My husband and I were just talking about the officials.  They were very much in control.  Congrats to the LCM on a good season and Good Luck to the Pirates for making it the 2nd round of playoffs!!! 

Not gunna lie, I was completely and utterly surprised that Vidor jumped out to the lead they did... Took me by surprise... The second half though they were flat the whole last 40 minutes... They're lucky that one of LCM's shots went of the left post, but nonetheless it was an excellent game to watch and be apart of... The fan support was amazing, I'm gunna say atleast 300 people there, possibly more and that was just for Vidor... Both fans had drumlines that were battling back and forth the entire game, and I know for me atleast I had my air horn going all game long... And I can't go any further without saying how much of a classy and gentleman Coach Wedel is... Even after the game, when his team had just fought back and barely lost, the most humble guy you can meet... My hat is off to him and his team, won't find a more sportsman like team than LCM in this area...

On a side note, I couldn't be more proud of my brother... What a leader he's been this year, carrying the team through thick and thin... I've never seen him play better soccer than he has this season... He is one of the hardest working players I've ever been around, and I'm so happy and glad that he is getting his chance to continue this in college... Congrats on a great season buddy, keep it going next year and the years that come and no doubt in my mind I'll be seeing you on TV someday... Love you bro...  ;)

Soccer playoffs began on Thursday night in Vidor for the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears and the Vidor Pirates.  Unfortunately for the Bears, their season ended with a disappointing 3-2 defeat to the Pirates.

Senior T.C. Scalfano and sophomore Garhett Bonneaux scored goals for the Bears.  The Pirates were led by Alec Johnson with two goals, while Travis Greenway scored one goal and added two assists.

The playoff atmosphere added to the game’s intensity.  A large number of enthusiastic fans and dueling drum lines were successful in creating supportive noise for their team.  Combined with near perfect weather, the exciting play made it an enjoyable night to watch a soccer game. 

The Bears offense sent several shots toward the Pirate goal in the game’s early minutes.  Vidor’s defense was up to the task as they prevented the Bears from scoring.  Then, the Pirates reversed the trend and took control of the game.

At the 13-minute mark, the Pirates scored the game’s opening goal when Greenway stole the ball in the upper right corner and then sent a beautiful crossing shot in front of the Bears’ goal.  Johnson headed the pass into the goal from 10 yards deep for a 1-0 Pirate lead.

Johnson scored again four minutes later when he kicked a 10-yard kick shot from the right side.  Greenway scored the Pirates’ third goal when he booted a shot that deflected off a Bear defender and into the net.  Greenway’s goal occurred with twelve minutes remaining in the first half.

The first half ended with the Pirates comfortably enjoying a 3-0 margin.

The Bears began their comeback in the second half.  In the half’s opening minute, Scalfano scored for the Bears when his powerful 15-yard shot made contact with the Pirate goalie’s hands and continued into the net. 

After a near-miss shot that bounced off the goal post in the middle of the second half, Bonneaux scored his goal with eight minutes remaining in the game.  Bonneaux’s close-range shot was against a packed Vidor defense. 

With Vidor clinging to a 3-2 lead, the end of the game was suspenseful.  Each team made a strong effort to win the game.  The Bears made several runs against a stout Pirate defense.  The Bears were unable to score again as time ran out.

Bears Coach Matt Wedel reflected on the battle.  “It was a hard fought contest.  The Pirates won the first half, we won the second halfâ€, said Wedel.  “Unfortunately, it was too little, too late.†  

Vidor advances to the next round of the playoffs.  For the Bears, they will have to wait until next year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder