REFEREES-----HJ / Silsbee Game????

Lazeek

I noticed that HJ's athletic director (Coach Martel) and a local guy had to referee the 9th and JV games last night.  I also noticed that the officials that called the varsity game were not from the Beaumont Chapter.  What is going on?

I asked my brother in law why Coach Martel had to referee the game last night and he told me that Coach Sutherland got an email at 3:30 PM from a Beaumont Official notifying them that there would be no 9th or JV officials at Hawk Gym last night.  3:30 PM-----SERIOUSLY!!!  WTH????

Anyone know what is going on here??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that HJ's athletic director (Coach Martel) and a local guy had to referee the 9th and JV games last night.  I also noticed that the officials that called the varsity game were not from the Beaumont Chapter.  What is going on?

I asked my brother in law why Coach Martel had to referee the game last night and he told me that Coach Sutherland got an email at 3:30 PM from a Beaumont Official notifying them that there would be no 9th or JV officials at Hawk Gym last night.  3:30 PM-----SERIOUSLY!!!  WTH????

Something was strange...My son plays Freshman Football and there was a couple of games this year, where they had only 1 or 2 officials to call a game ??? ???

I will provide a post later this weekend explaining the ref fiasco from last night. I am waiting to hear from some people on the details.

I agree Lazeek, it was ashame it went down like that. Something has to change.

Guest OFballer

As far the Varsity game, I'm sure it goes a little something like this:

- T. Williams does not like one of the officials (bmt chapter) and called for a replacement

- T. Sutherland does not like the replacement and calls for a replacement

- Some research is done revealing that HJ gets SERIOUS home cooking bythe Bmt. Chapter(HJ shoots 35 FT on avg to the opponents 12 FT)

- A call is made to the UIL who decides to provide a neutral chapter.

Overall good decision by the UIL!

As far the Varsity game, I'm sure it goes a little something like this:

- T. Williams does not like one of the officials (bmt chapter) and called for a replacement

- T. Sutherland does not like the replacement and calls for a replacement

- Some research is done revealing that HJ gets SERIOUS home cooking bythe Bmt. Chapter(HJ shoots 35 FT on avg to the opponents 12 FT)

- A call is made to the UIL who decides to provide a neutral chapter.

Overall good decision by the UIL!

This was not the case at all, trust me. I spoke to both coaches last night. They explained what happened. After getting some more info on the subject, I will post explaining what went down.

i will tell u exactly what is going on.

one of the schools last night choose not to use the bmt chapter for the big game, i really cant blame them.

So since the schools did not use the bmt chapter, the bmt chapter decided to punish the fresh and jv kids in the games before. (this has happened several times) 

It does not surprise me one bit that the bmt chapter did not call and tell hj this until 330. Whoever is running the bmt chapter is a joke.

this happened several times last year in 4a with dayton not wanting to use the bmt chapter. The bmt chapter punished all the local 4a teams by not providing underlevel officials for the underlevel games. And the schools where not informed at all. Someone really need to check into that, it is only hurting the kids.

one of the schools last night choose not to use the bmt chapter for the big game, i really cant blame them.

So since the schools did not use the bmt chapter, the bmt chapter decided to punish the fresh and jv kids in the games before. (this has happened several times) 

It does not surprise me one bit that the bmt chapter did not call and tell hj this until 330. Whoever is running the bmt chapter is a joke.

this happened several times last year in 4a with dayton not wanting to use the bmt chapter. The bmt chapter punished all the local 4a teams by not providing underlevel officials for the underlevel games. And the schools where not informed at all. Someone really need to check into that, it is only hurting the kids.

Actually, both teams were fine with using the Bmt. Chapter. They each provided who they did not want from the Chapter. It wasn't the case of one school not wanting to use the local chapter.

I can certainly understand a coach scratching an official in a game of this magnitude.I also can see where the coaches would agree to let the UIL provide the officials,I've seen it several times over the years.The problem is simple numbers with the officials.They just don't have enough of them to send a crew to work a sub varsity game.While there are some problems in the Beaumont Chapter there are also some very good officials.Mike Simpson does a great job of training young officials but the chapter needs to do a better job of recruiting the younger folks who should be calling these type games.I know these folks well enough to know there was no vendetta to punish HJ and Silsbee.At 3 pm on game day the scheduler has more on their mind than that.

i disagree, since i had to deal with it first hand last year. Recheck my post about 4a and the bmt chapter not sending officials for underlevel games due to the fact that the bmt chapter was dropped for certain reasons for the varsity games. That is not rt for the lower level kids. No ifs ands or buts about it.

whsalum,

My brother in law told me that last week on a Thursday night there were TWENTY THREE officials not working.  Legacy had THREE officials at their junior high game and HJ had ZERO officials at their junior high game.

Apparently, the "assigners" for underlevel games are not assigning games but, rather, asking officials to go online and sign up for games if they want to call them and if no one signs up for a game then you MIGHT get notified that you don't have any officials.

whsalum,

My brother in law told me that last week on a Thursday night there were TWENTY THREE officials not working.  Legacy had THREE officials at their junior high game and HJ had ZERO officials at their junior high game.

Apparently, the "assigners" for underlevel games are not assigning games but, rather, asking officials to go online and sign up for games if they want to call them and if no one signs up for a game then you MIGHT get notified that you don't have any officials.

This past Thursday we had 3 at the boys site for HJ HF (one was supposed to be at hardin but got the wrong school). The girls at HF had none.

The assigner for the Thursday night games is completely different than the one for the sub varsity or JV games on Tuesday and Friday.Some officials simply don't sign up to do Jr High games so on any given Thursday night you could have 25 not working.The Jr High games are normally easy ones to call but the drawback is the early start times make it tough for an official to get there.The problem with UIL officials calling the headline game is takes a local crew to call a JV game that could otherwise be working a VB/VG game somewhere else in the chapter.I couldn't blame an officating crew for not coming to HJ to call a JV game when they could go right on down the road to WH and call a JV/VG/VB tilt and pick up a decent game check.These days 1 sub varsity game won't buy your gas.

Actually, both teams were fine with using the Bmt. Chapter. They each provided who they did not want from the Chapter. It wasn't the case of one school not wanting to use the local chapter.

It was requested to go outside and use the UIL.

I can tell you it does happen. If a chapter is not used for a varsity game and numbers of officials are down due to hurricane ike, the chapter will fill the sub varsity games of the teams using them for varsity with full crews and the ones that decide not to use the chapter for their varsity games get what is left if any at all. Like you all said, it is hurting the kids. But it hurts the kids from the teams that do use that chapter for varsity games if you pull officials to call at schools that are not using them. Officiating is open to anyone who wants to learn the rules. So if you want to learn the rules and stop being a Saturday Morning arm chair official the come on down to the beaumont chapter and sign up. Otherwise leave these guys alone and let them handle their business.

The Ref

ps Not a basketball ref. HJ would have made more shots they could have won, the refs did not make them miss those shots.

TheRef,

From what I have seen in this thread no one is blaming the refs for the outcome.  I thought the officiating was okay.  I think people are wondering why these two teams, who have always used the bmt. chapter for all their games suddenly go outside the chapter.  Also, why would bmt. feel it was okay to pull their underlevel officials at the last second.  That is not "handling their business".

Guest tigersvoice

When HJ & Silsbee playes they should get the referess from HOUSTON where the good one are  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Finally, a good  reasonable answer.  :D

And keep in mind, this study was done at A & M. ;D

Maybe the reason is the fact that when you go to HJ there is a feeling that you always have to beat 7.  It is amazing that when you have an impartial crew there that Silsbee rolls over HJ.  Coach Williams knew exactly what he was doing by requesting UIL officials.  Referees do not cost teams a game but they can sure impact it. 

Maybe the reason is the fact that when you go to HJ there is a feeling that you always have to beat 7.  It is amazing that when you have an impartial crew there that Silsbee rolls over HJ.  Coach Williams knew exactly what he was doing by requesting UIL officials.  Referees do not cost teams a game but they can sure impact it. 

First of all, you are wrong by saying that Travis requested the UIL. Both schools agreed to use the UIL when they were told that the BMT. Chapter refs that both schools agreed upon would not be available.

Also, if you will look at HJ's losses this year, all 5 of them have come at home.

I will be posting a thread today explaining what went down with the Silsbee/HJ ref problem.

First of all, you are wrong by saying that Travis requested the UIL. Both schools agreed to use the UIL when they were told that the BMT. Chapter refs that both schools agreed upon would not be available.

Also, if you will look at HJ's losses this year, all 5 of them have come at home.

I will be posting a thread today explaining what went down with the Silsbee/HJ ref problem.

Actually only 4 of the 5.........HJ lost against Central at Ozen.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder