WO-S ISD TAKS Issue Dead!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I AM UNDERSTANDING THIS IS ALL ABOUT MR HOOKS. MR (BARCLEY MR BOTTLEY MR MITCHELL) and one other on this very very poor school board will not rest in peace till thay  can get the football and other programs at wo-s out is this true are not. LOOKS TO ME THIS MIGHT WIND UP IN COURT  and then heads will roll dont you think.i am sure there is someone VERY SMART that reads this  and can look into the laws and find where it says (IF A CHILD CANT PASS THE TAKS TEST) the school can kick them out,someone ck this out

I do not know what Barclay does for a living but he had better make alot of money.  Lawyers in very expensive.  Maybe the school district has a lawyer for the lawsuits that this school is about to see if this passes. 

I thought the state has no pass no play? WOS is going to pass no pass TAKS, no play for a year.  These people are jokes.  Sorry, I gave them too much credit.  These animals are jokes. 

18 ) The bashing of any particular coach, player, referee, etc will not be tolerated. This includes issues involving their personal lives, coaching/playing style or performance, past experiences, etc

It is my understanding that the "ect" in this rule covers school administrators and school board members.

Calling out the school board as a whole is okay. Bashing them individually and naming them, will not be tolerated.

As an educator, I don't agree with this decision. I feel the "no pass, no play" rule should strictly be based on daily subject grades.  There are some great kids out there, that do well in academics, but are not "test-takers" and the vice-versa is true. I've had very smart students that just could not do well on a standardized test.  If this decision is passed, it will hurt ALL extra curricular activities, but the main emphasis will be on sports.

As an educator, I don't agree with this decision. I feel the "no pass, no play" rule should strictly be based on daily subject grades.  There are some great kids out there, that do well in academics, but are not "test-takers" and the vice-versa is true. I've had very smart students that just could not do well on a standardized test.  If this decision is passed, it will hurt ALL extra curricular activities, but the main emphasis will be on sports.

As another teacher, I have got to agree with you. It is one of the nuttiest things I have heard of...You know good and well, you and I can sit down with some kids and work with them for months, and sad to say, some kids just can't see the concept, be it math, or physics or supply and demand, or conjugating the verbs.

I have been working with a kid on their TAKS everyday for weeks at lunch. We both bring sandwiches and work during our break. I have gotten so upset in the past week, I literally came home and cried. I do not know what else I can do for the kid. Heck, his parents have spent a fortune on outside tutors, and the tutors I think have hurt more than helped.

Now, if schools are starting to literally punish a kid about TAKS, well, somebody needs to explain to these politicians, some of these kids are not going to Harvard or Yale, or MIT, or even Lamar. Some of these kids are going to be roofing your house, picking up your garbage, pouring concrete. All good, hard-working, honest jobs. All jobs the economy needs. I just don't know sometimes.....I just do not know.... ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Just to make sure everyone is fully aware, there will be NO action taken at this board meeting. This is from their agenda.

VII. Instruction - Discussion/Information Items:  

A. Requirement of passing the TAKS exams as a prerequisite

for participation in extracurricular activities

1. Teacher/Student TAKS Suggestions

It is a discussion item only and no action can or will be taken at this meeting. It is even against the law for the board to take action on it since it is a discussion item only and not an action item on their agenda. Just wanted to set the record straight.

I agree completely.  Like you, KDO, I've sat with kids time and time again.  I teach Algebra II/ Calculus, and have done my time with students preparing for the TAKS.  It appauls me that a school district would even consider this action. WOS is academically acceptible, right?  "Extra-Curricular" activities are those activities outside the realm of  a students everday classwork.  TAKS is a measurement of what the student should have learned if the TEKS had been taught correctly.  This part I agree with....however, I stand my assessment that not ALL students are "test-takers" and should not be punished for being as such.  If I were a parent, I would definitely be calling my school board on this.

Just to make sure everyone is fully aware, there will be NO action taken at this board meeting. This is from their agenda.

VII. Instruction - Discussion/Information Items:

A. Requirement of passing the TAKS exams as a prerequisite

for participation in extracurricular activities

1. Teacher/Student TAKS Suggestions

It is a discussion item only and no action can or will be taken at this meeting. It is even against the law for the board to take action on it since it is a discussion item only and not an action item on their agenda. Just wanted to set the record straight.

But to even bring it up for discussion, well, is madness. Don't some people sit down and thing stuff through?

It is like, it makes good sense to them, or I want it this way, this is the way it should be....I don't know...I got to hurry up and retire... :P

The busing issue is also back only as a dicussion item. Probably to be brought up to be put back as an action item at a future meeting. No action on either item will be taken on Monday. The board's agendas are on the district's website for anyone to view.

So wouldn't the school be violating state rules by singling out "failures"?  The TEA already sent out a warning about having a TAKS reward "party" due to the school in effect showing who passed and failed.  Schools can't share that information.  There is no way their administraion did not received that notice.  It came out in October.  WOS surely would face lawsuits based on "sharing" confidential student informtion.

So wouldn't the school be violating state rules by singling out "failures"?  The TEA already sent out a warning about having a TAKS reward "party" due to the school in effect showing who passed and failed.  Schools can't share that information.  There is no way their administraion did not received that notice.  It came out in October.  WOS surely would face lawsuits based on "sharing" confidential student informtion.

Good point.

The overall education of a person is not just math and science.  It's ALL THE STUFF that EDUCATES a child to PREPARE FOR LIFE.  The life-lessons gained through various activities (sports, debate, band, choir, drill team, cheerleading, national honor society, student-government), cannot all be learned in algebraic expressions and chemical calculations.....

I'm ashamed and embarrassed for the ONE'S in the school district leadership who have dreamed up such an ignoramous idea.  It is fairly obvious that there is a "calculated agenda" by Barclay and Buddies to sabotage Football at WO-S.  Personal agendas for retribution is despicable.  I share the same opinion that some educators have shared in their responses. 

The SUPERINTENDANT needs take some LEADERSHIP in this and cease worrying about his job / tenure.  Easier said than done.  Perhaps Rosa Parks could teach him something!!!!!  Doesn't he read the "Black Heritage Posters" when he visits the schools and listens to the stories about these things? Honest Abe would be so sad to know this......

I hope and pray for a merger with North Orange and for ONE high school in Orange.  It appears it's the only thing that will make that high school like it used to be because our leadership is destroying a "once proud tradion". 

A Degree is something you hang on the wall. An EDUCATION, well, that is something all together different!!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder