****Here's your PN-G applicant list...**IS THE COACH PN-G WANTS ON THE LIST?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiousity, what did Chuck Langston do to get himself fired from Univ. of Central Oklahoma, and in trouble with the NCAA?

I was told by a friend that when he went from Trinity to Central Oklahoma he had some players transfer. He housed the players and they were given school paid for medical treatment before they were enrolled / signed. Supposedly he did not know it was a violation. A few years later an assistant he fired turned him in. He was suspended for two games and had to take a NCAA rules course (or something like that). Basically (from what I was told, which I know is only one side) he was only trying to help some kids in need and did not know he was violating the rules.

Again, this did not come from Chuck directly to me, so no need to bash either of us if someone knows different.

I can't see Vance's slot T which he runs in 3A being successful at PNG.  Wrong guy.  Danaher... I've said great credentials, but PNG needs something different in my view.  PNG needs a spark, I don't think they get from either.  They are safe though.

The slot T would be awesome in 4A.  I'm sure he plays teams as good as the ones PNG does.  There isn't really any difference between 3A and 4A. 

P.S.  The Pittsburgh Steelers don't run the spread! ;)

Oh, I'm not bashing anybody. It's just that I went to HS with him and he was always a great guy to be around, and I cant imagine him getting involved into something like this. It just doesn't sound like him. I bet there's more to the story.

A good friend of mine's brother and Chuck are close friends. I was told it was more him helping some kids that were not from the best situations. If he knew it would get him in trouble he would not have done it.

Published January 22, 2009 09:29 pm -

Danaher, Vance top PN-G applicants

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES -- Dr. Lani Randall reaffirmed Thursday afternoon that she intended to recommend a head football coach/athletic direcotr to the Port Neches-Groves Independent School District board of trustees at their next scheduled meeting on Feb. 10.

Complying with the Texas Attorney General's orders to comply with five Freedom of Information requests from area media outlets, the PNGISD schools superintendent submitted a list of 35 applicants for the head coaching position, vacated last month when the school's winningest coach ever -- Matt Burnett -- was reassigned by the district.

The 51-year-old Burnett accepted a newly-created position of outdoor athletic complex coordinator and attendance officer at a Nov. 25 board meeting.

Dr. Randall denied any truth to several highly circulated rumors that have swirled through various segments of Jefferson and Orange County regarding the coaching timeline.

One rumor indicated that the PNGISD superintendent planned to submit the name of the new head football coach at a special called board meeting next Monday.

"There's no truth to that whatsoever," Dr. Randall said. "I plan to be in Austin on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week to attend a Superintendent's conference."

Another rumor suggested the PN-G coaching process had been narrowed down to five semifinalists and that the coach would be selected from that group during this weekend after interviews were conducted at undisclosed locations on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Once again, the PN-G Schools leader shot down that such a plan was the case.

"If you look at the search timeline that we gave to you, we are just where we said that we were on our list," Dr. Randall said.

"We have not begun to narrow down a list of finalists or semifinalists at this point."

The early list of 35 applicants who were mostly unrecognizable, even to a couple of area head football coaches, contains a pair of names who have enjoyed heavyweight success at the state-wide level.

Phil Danaher built a South Texas empire at Corpus Christi Calallen for the past 24 seasons. The 60-year-old native of St. Joseph, Mo., ranks third on the state's all-time career coaching victories list with 344 wins, 88 losses and 4 ties and currently stands as the state's winningest active coach.

Jerry Vance has gone 28-1 in the past two seasons at Liberty Hill, guiding the school to 3A state championships in 2006 and 2007 and state semifinals in 2008. His eight-year head coaching record is a superb 89-18. Vance was selected the state's coach of the year in 2007 with a team that scored at least 33 points in every game.

Did a great job doing what?  They accepted applications then they tried to hide the names.  Then the AG forced them to release the list.  So explain what great job they have done.

I personally called the school board and told them they have done a great job.

making a fool of themselves and a mockery of the due process. 

Vance and Danaher are probably just looking for three highest paying years to use as retirement base, then they are done.  Is that really what PN-G fans want?  A short-term winner?  I doubt it.  I think they want somebody that plans on staying there for a long time and doesn't mind getting a little input from Burnett.  Something Vance or Danaher would never do. 

So says someone with 2 posts and no name attached. They are my school board, I voted for them and I stand by what they have done.

Its the outsiders have the problems.

Not necessarily - they are my school board also and I did not vote for any of them that returned for this session.  Their arrogance has trickled over the top this time.

Call me crazy, but i would like to see Brandon Faircloth, David Satcher, and Chris Garrett in the mix of finalists. All three are fairly young and seem to be energetic. They are from proven teams and I think could kick start PNG again.

Faircloth is at Permian as OC enough said on that, and before was at Highland Park power house programs.

Satcher has proven to be a defensive guru at a respectable school

Garrett seems to be a good guy , younger, and is also at a good program school. He has also showed serious intrest and I spoke with him.

Did a great job doing what?  They accepted applications then they tried to hide the names.  Then the AG forced them to release the list.  So explain what great job they have done.

I couldn't agree with Old Gabe anymore if I had said it myself.  Posts like yours is the reason I logged into this board.  PNG's admin USED their due process appealing to the state A.G.  Why go through the process?  I don't know.  If I wanted to know I could pick up the phone right now and find out, but I am trusting the notion that it is in an attempt to get the best coach possible.  The only folks making fools and a mockery of themselves are people making statements like yours on this board and the usual malcontents on pngindians.com.  They all have one thing in common.  When someone asks them to prove how, they have no reply.  Love to see yours.

PNG's ace in the hole IMHO is a certain Middle School principal/ former DC and a current HS principal/ former varsity coach who are on the committee and are both very sharp cookies.  I think we are in good hands.  I also plan on telling every board member that I see "good job".  If it caused Bob West to have a chapped arse, I'll tell them "great job"!

Call me crazy, but i would like to see Brandon Faircloth, David Satcher, and Chris Garrett in the mix of finalists. All three are fairly young and seem to be energetic. They are from proven teams and I think could kick start PNG again.

Faircloth is at Permian as OC enough said on that, and before was at Highland Park power house programs.

Satcher has proven to be a defensive guru at a respectable school

Garrett seems to be a good guy , younger, and is also at a good program school. He has also showed serious intrest and I spoke with him.

I agree.......I think Chris Garrett should definitely be in the mix of the finalist.

I couldn't agree with Old Gabe anymore if I had said it myself.  Posts like yours is the reason I logged into this board.  PNG's admin USED their due process appealing to the state A.G.  Why go through the process?  I don't know.  If I wanted to know I could pick up the phone right now and find out, but I am trusting the notion that it is in an attempt to get the best coach possible.  The only folks making fools and a mockery of themselves are people making statements like yours on this board and the usual malcontents on pngindians.com.  They all have one thing in common.  When someone asks them to prove how, they have no reply.  Love to see yours.

PNG's ace in the hole IMHO is a certain Middle School principal/ former DC and a current HS principal/ former varsity coach who are on the committee and are both very sharp cookies.  I think we are in good hands.  I also plan on telling every board member that I see "good job".  If it caused Bob West to have a chapped arse, I'll tell them "great job"!

I agree, they obviously had good legal advice. They contested the FOI to the AG, then when the AG ruled against them they immediately released the lists. No law was broken. I am pleased with the job our school board and hiring committee is doing.Now just continue on and close the deal.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    daxebeg833
    Newest Member
    daxebeg833