AD question

Why does the AD's job seem to be attached to the head football coaches job? Why can't the head volleyball coach, or softball coach be allowed to apply for the job? There are plenty of smart women's coaches out there that could do the job. It seems to be a form of discrimination? What is one of these school districts going to do when they wind up with a discrimination suit over this football/AD combo? And don't tell me it is not coming.... :-\

Barbara Comeaux has been CO AD at PNG since Burnett has been there. She will be retiring soon, thats why the masters is being required for this hiring. They are hiring an AD.

But is is hooked with the Head Football coach? ( And with most other schools, it is.).. I am not just talking about PNG here.

Barbara Comeaux has been CO AD at PNG since Burnett has been there. She will be retiring soon, thats why the masters is being required for this hiring. They are hiring an AD.

But is is hooked with the Head Football coach? ( And with most other schools, it is.).. I am not just talking about PNG here.

I would guess it is for the pure purpose to be able to pay the head football coach more money.

I would guess it is for the pure purpose to be able to pay the head football coach more money.

That is what I am thinking....One of these days a school district is going to get sued, and it is going to change everything...

My wife is going to wring my neck, I'm late for church...

AD\/Head Football = You are in Texas. In most places whether you like it or not , if Football program in unsuccessful there will be changes.

All it would take is one Federal Lawsuit......It may be ok in a Texas Fed Court, but in a court of appeals, well, all bets are off....This is one that someone like Ruth Ginsberg would push to come before the SC.

the answer is simple money

a volleyball coach doesnt get paid the big bucks that head football coaches do

its the same with most every other sport their head coaches arent paid as much as head football coaches

So the districts decide well lets pay the football coach an extra 30 grand a year and let him be AD instead of lets spend more than 50 grand on a AD

Correct, If not they could have just had Barbara Comeaux as athletic director and Matt B. as HC.But, how could they have justified paying Matt more than the AD?

In larger school districts where there are more than one high school there is a separate athletic director for all the high schools in the school district. Doesn't Beaumont have one Athletic director for all three high schools in its district? Where the district is small like WOS, BC, PNG, NED...etc the head coach is usually the AD to justify paying more money. I know Lamar just got a head coach for football but Billy Tubs is the athletic director. Tubs was the AD also when he was the head coach for the basketball team simply to pay him more money. I believe Pat Foster also was HC and AD at Lamar for the same reason.

Of course the reason the head football coach is also the athletic director is so they school district can attract and keep a good head football coach by paying him more money.  I don't care how much the head football coach is paid (within reason) but he should not be the athletic director.  This isn't fair to the other athletic teams nor to the football coach.  Does anyone really think the football coach has the time during football season to "direct" the volleyball team, the basketball teams, cross-country team, tennis team, etc.  Also, the football coach has an inherent conflict of interest with other boys sports.  We've all heard the stories of the head football coach/athletic director who discourages his football players from playing basketball or soccer or baseball because he wants them to concentrate on football.  He knows his job depends on how well the football teams does period, not on what's best for the other athletic teams or even the athletes themselves.  If the football team goes 2-8, no one cares how the volleyball or baseball team does - the head football coach is gone (see LC-M and PN-G).  In my opinion these should be two separate positions.  Pay the head football coach whatever it takes to get and keep a good one and then let him coach the football team.  And then hire someone else to be the athletic director and evaluate him or her on how well the entire athletic program does.

I disagree wholeheartedly. 

The AD doesn't "direct" the other sports.  The other sports will have head coaches that handle the day to day duties of their sport.  Most AD's that I know want their entire program to be competitive and most want their football players to be competitive all year long by playing other sports.

I agree that in a perfect world the HC/AD would like to see their entire program be competitive but in reality, in SE Texas, the HC/AD is judged by how well the football team does.  Coach Burnett did not get reassigned because PNG's basketball and baseball teams were underperforming.  He got reassigned because the football team wasn't winning enough games.  And you can bet that if Coach Neumann at Nederland starts missing the playoffs every year he'll be "reassigned" regardless of how well Nederland is doing in their other sports.  So when push comes to shove, the HC/AD is going to focus his attention and energy on the football team to the detriment of the other sports and athletes.  And I don't blame him if he wants to keep his job. But this why I believe the two positions should be separated so that all of the athletic teams get the attention they deserve from the AD; and the football coach can concentrate solely on the football team. 

I agree that in a perfect world the HC/AD would like to see their entire program be competitive but in reality, in SE Texas, the HC/AD is judged by how well the football team does.  Coach Burnett did not get reassigned because PNG's basketball and baseball teams were underperforming.  He got reassigned because the football team wasn't winning enough games.  And you can bet that if Coach Neumann at Nederland starts missing the playoffs every year he'll be "reassigned" regardless of how well Nederland is doing in their other sports.  So when push comes to shove, the HC/AD is going to focus his attention and energy on the football team to the detriment of the other sports and athletes.  And I don't blame him if he wants to keep his job. But this why I believe the two positions should be separated so that all of the athletic teams get the attention they deserve from the AD; and the football coach can concentrate solely on the football team. 

How is focusing on one a detriment to the others?  The other sports have head coaches as well that will focus on that sport.  The football coach should be the AD.  If not, football is going to suffer big time because if the AD doesn't realize that football needs a lot of coaches coaching it then its in trouble. Just one reason. 

I disagree wholeheartedly. 

The AD doesn't "direct" the other sports.  The other sports will have head coaches that handle the day to day duties of their sport.  Most AD's that I know want their entire program to be competitive and most want their football players to be competitive all year long by playing other sports.

Exactly, I think it is an insult to the AD/HC to assume they only care about football. They hire good Head Coaches for each sport and that's where the directing stops, unless they are needed to handle an unusual situation. As a coach Football is their primary concern, as an AD every sport is their concern.

I can see I'm in the minority here so I'll let it go after one more point. 

Bronco1,

I assume you're a Dayton Bronco fan.  No doubt that you guys have a great football program filled with tremendous athletes.  My question to you is this, why isn't the rest of Dayton's athletic program anywhere near as successful as the football program? 

I can see I'm in the minority here so I'll let it go after one more point. 

Bronco1,

I assume you're a Dayton Bronco fan.  No doubt that you guys have a great football program filled with tremendous athletes.  My question to you is this, why isn't the rest of Dayton's athletic program anywhere near as successful as the football program?   

I guess it all depends on how you measure success. Other than football, Basketball makes the playoffs regularly, Baseball is not real strong yet(New Coach this year), our Track team does well with several State qualifiers last year and many more before that.

Dayton football has had 2 historic seasons back to back but, before that, they would have only been viewed as slightly more successful than the other sports at Dayton. If the measuring stick is the playoffs.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder