WO-S defense to meet Gilmer’s high-powered O

KFDM COOP

WO-S defense to meet Gilmer’s high-powered O

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — Something will have to give when 2:30 p.m. rolls around at Abe Martin Stadium in Lufkin Saturday when the West Orange-Stark Mustangs (10-0) clash with the Gilmer Buckeyes (11-1) in the Class 3A Region III Division II regional semifinals.

The Mustangs’ “Chain Gang†defense has answered every obstacle this season. However, their biggest challenge thus far awaits them Saturday in the form of the Buckeyes.

The Mustangs have allowed just 56 points a game all season and just 121.3 yards a game.

The wide-open Gilmer offense will check in pumping out 410 yards a game, averaging 225 yards on the ground and 185 through the airwaves.

The Buckeyes have outscored their opponents by a whopping 557-192 margin for the year.

Gilmer, who defeated the Jasper Bulldogs in 2004 in a Class 3A state title game, have dominated thus far in the playoffs by wiping out Diboll 54-0 and downing Mexia 50-36 last Friday night.

The Buckeyes were led by tailback Jeremy Jackson in the Mexia win as Jackson roamed around for 191 yards while explosive quarterback Darian Godfrey zipped for 147 yards.

The Buckeyes are balanced across the board offensively as they like to spread the wealth around. Godfrey has passed for more than 2,000 yards and has thrown touchdown passes to 15 different receivers. Meanwhile, Jackson is approaching the 1,000-yard mark for the year to lead a stable of running backs.

The Mustangs are coming off two blowout playoff victories of their own, downing Coldspring 36-8 in bidistrict and then burying Caldwell 37-7 last Friday.

Senior tailback Quintavious Garrett went over the 1,000-yard mark against Caldwell after he zipped for 217 yards and two TDs. He now has 1,117 yards on the season and has 369 yards on the ground in the two playoff wins. Senior quarterback Ortavious Hypolite zipped for 123 yards on the ground against Caldwell and has over 700 yards rushing this year. He's also passed for more than 1,300 yards and has 15 TD passes and just two interceptions. As the Mustang offense is pumping out a little more than 380 yards a game.

The Buckeyes only loss this season came at the hands of Kilgore 28-14 in non-district. Gilmer went 4-1 in non-district, defeating Jasper 56-28, Rains 77-21, Liberty-Eylau 28-14 and Daingerfield 49-18.

Gilmer defeated their district opponents by a 229-47 margin, downing Bullard 48-12, Tyler Chapel Hill 35-6, Spring Hill, 55-7; Gladewater, 43-8, and Tatum, 48-14.

Defensively, the Buckeyes are giving up 292.2 yards a contest, 189.1 on the ground and 103.1 in the air. In their win over Mexia, the Buckeyes allowed 513 yards, 361 of it coming on the ground.

The WO-S-Gilmer winner will face the Carthage-Rockdale winner in the regional semifinals next week.

Stay up to date in the next few days as the Orange Leader will have more stories, stats and features on Saturday’s big matchup.

WOS hasn't seen Gilmer speed and size. The mighty chain gang defense crumbles under the Buckeye offense.

Gilmer 38

WOS 28

Hmmmm....not enough action and chest pounding for you on your website.  I agree that WO-S has not seen Gilmer's speed and size, but Gilmer has not seen WO-S' speed and size either...well, except on film.  Do Buckeyes crumbled or peck or what?  I just can not wait until Saturday... ;D

Glad WO/S is playing Saturday, this Newton Eagle will be in the stands yelling for the Mustangs. This one scares me though. Think it will be a close one . Turnovers will be the difference.

Wish I could make it back from Crosby in time to support K-ville.  Go Eagles, Go Cats, Go Mustangs.

my bad i did mean giddings and yes thats what im referring to gasilla

2-1 isn't bad against Giddings.......

I love when people make predictions that haven't even seen us or Gilmer play. ::)  This is not directed at ozensfinest, just something I have noticed here on the board.

my bad i did mean giddings and yes thats what im referring to gasilla

2-1 isn't bad against Giddings.......

I love when people make predictions that haven't even seen us or Gilmer play. ::)  This is not directed at ozensfinest, just something I have noticed here on the board.

I agree, heck I have seen both of them play and still not sure how it will go.  If we hold on to the ball, If we keep it away from them, if the defense stops them, etc....  Oh heck, even if we don't do all that they may do it too.  Well what if we go for 2, what if we don't, what if they do, what if we run 2 kickoffs back ??? ??? who knows what will happen and how this thing will go, that is what makes it so fun!!!  I just hope when that clock turns to 00:00 we have 1 more of what counts than they do!!!!

I haven't seen Gilmer play but I have seen WOS.  They have a fast/quick defense that swarms to the ball carrier.  I hear that Gilmer has a very explosive offense.  You know what they say, offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships.  Should be a great game.  Good luck to both teams!!!

I agree, heck I have seen both of them play and still not sure how it will go.  If we hold on to the ball, If we keep it away from them, if the defense stops them, etc....  Oh heck, even if we don't do all that they may do it too.  Well what if we go for 2, what if we don't, what if they do, what if we run 2 kickoffs back ??? ??? who knows what will happen and how this thing will go, that is what makes it so fun!!!  I just hope when that clock turns to 00:00 we have 1 more of what counts than they do!!!!

If we knew all that before hand it would take away all the speculation and hype...  but you are right,that's about it in a nut Shell. ;D

I haven't seen Gilmer play but I have seen WOS.  They have a fast/quick defense that swarms to the ball carrier.  I hear that Gilmer has a very explosive offense.  You know what they say, offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships.  Should be a great game.  Good luck to both teams!!!

Gilmer is very good.  IMO, what will win the game for us is discipline.  They dropped quite a few passes against Mexia and their secondary is suspect.  Diboll had receivers open all night a couple of weeks ago, they just couldn't complete them.  We will complete those passes.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder