Your Teams Most Heartbreaking Loss?

Guest Kelly Football

[quote name="tvc184" post="40191" timestamp="1156292113"]
I think it was in '93 when Nederland played WO-S in a district game. Nederland came back and went ahead with very little time remaining in the game, maybe a minute or so. I don't know if I have ever heard Bulldog Stadium any louder.

WO-S was down to about their last play and about 70 yards away. They threw a long pass for a touchdown with a few seconds on the clock. If I remember correctly, it may have been the only pass they complete the entire game. Nederland lost 33-28 (I think).

It was Nederland's only loss in district that year. The loss itself was not so hard to take as much as the way it happened. With a minute left in the game it looked like we pulled off a huge upset (and would have won the district undefeated), only to be crushed at the end. If it was in '93, it was Larry Neumann's first
year as head coach and Nederland did go to the playoffs as the second place team. Maybe some WO-S fans can refresh my memory.
[/quote]

New to this forum, found this topic. Just to clarify, this game was played in 1989. It was Steve DeRouen's last year as HC in Nederland. I know, b/c I played in it. We (Ned) were down 28-14 in the 3rd. Closed the gap to 28-21. WO-S scored on an 80yd TD run the very next play to make it 35-21. We drove down and scored on a 2yd QB sneak. We faked the XP and made the 2pt conversion-flipping into the end zone. Made the score 35-29. Then we recovered an on-side kick. Went down and scored on a pass play to take a 36-35 lead. WO-S then completed a 79-yard bomb to go up 42-36 with :44 secs remaining. That game still haunts my friends and me to this day.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Cardinal Fan" post="40282" timestamp="1156313423"]
Okay, let me start by staying I'm a Bulldog fan now. I just haven't always been. I can still replay most of this game in my mind. At least the last two minutes of the game. Anyway, here it goes. 1989/90 LC-M versus Nederland at Bulldog Stadium. As always Nederland had a great crowd on hand. Several plays stand out. One LC-M is down on the 2 or 3 yard line of Nederland. Rusty Brown LC-M's QB appears to fumble the ball and a LB for Ned starts running the other way with the ball. Finally he is ran down from behind by a RB for LC-M(no name mentioned)at about the 30 of the Bears. For some reason, the refs blew the play dead so LC-M got the ball back at the 2 or 3 yard line of Nederland. Next play LC-M scores on pass out in the flat to the RB.

Fast forward to the last two minutes of the game. LC-M is tailing (can't remember the exact score) by less than a TD. LC-M is driving the ball into Nederland territory reaching the thirty of the Bulldogs with about 25 seconds left in the game. The Bears throw a screen pass to the RB who makes a tremendous run breaking about 4 tackles and scores or at least it appears. The refs threw a flag for a linemen down field. Well see, on a screen pass the linemen can go down field to block as long as the receiver catches the ball behind the line of scrimmage. I've watch video of that play at least fifty time and the receiver or (RB) in this case was two yards behind the line of scrimmage. Reason I watched so many times in because my brother is the RB that caught that pass. Anyway, the penalty was called and the coaching staff decides to run the same play to the other side of the field. Well, this time Nederland was ready and someone laid the leather to my brother knocking him out of the game. The last few seconds tick off and LC-M loses a heart-breaker to Nederland.

Next week LC-M played the Mustangs of WO-S. LC-M again runs a screen pass but the ball is over thrown by the QB and the RB crosses the line of scrimmage but catches the ball and scores a TD on what should have been a penalty. Well, WO-S puts a hurting on LC-M by the tune of 42-7. I would have much preferred if the officials got those two calls right. The play vs Nederland and LC-M wins and take the score off the board versus WO-S and LC-M loses 42-0.

Of course my wishes don't matter and history is what it is. LC-M loses both games.
[/quote]

Played in this game too. LC-M did get screwed on that call. However, I don't think it was that late in the game. That was our Homecoming game. Nederland won 21-16. We definitely overlooked LC-M that year and played a sloppy game. We had our fair share of game changing calls that year which caused us to tie Liberty and lose to TJ, so maybe we were due for a call in our favor.

There are several that stick out in my mind. The first one was when West Sabine fell to Celeste in the '02 state semis. We had the far better team that year and that was our first bad game all year that year. The next one that comes to mind was the '03 game against Shiner when we were #1 in 1A and got blasted 49-7 at Katy. Was a cold, lonely night on both occasions. We got bumped up to 2A in '04 and went 4-6 with the 6 losses by a combined 36 points! That was a season full of heartbreakers!

vs. Caney Creek 2002- Jags held a 2 score lead for most of the game when CC came storming back to score 2 td's in the 4th to win 22-21 first round of the playoffs.  On that same day a few hours prior, Ozen lost by a score to the other Conroe team, Oak Ridge, by a score as well.

vs. Bay City 2003 - This game was a defensive struggle.  We were down most of the game, but by only a score.  Bay City's defense kept us out of the end zone even though we  had a couple of productive drives.  score ended up being 13-3, I believe.

vs. Dayton 2005- The blocked FG by Dayton to prevent the go ahead lead late in the 4th.

vs. Friendswood 2008 - Those Blue Collared Jags went toe to toe with a really good FW team featuring a blue chipper QB and almost pulled off the win.  There was even drama.  'the fumble' was called back.  They say the FW player was down.

vs. PN-G 2009 - The blocked FG returned for a TD by PN-G speedster to help eventually win the game in double OT I believe.

vs. Humble 2010- This was a game of momentum.  Jags started off with a quick 14-0 lead.  Humble then went on to score 24 unanswered points.  Eventually, late in the 4th, we thought we had the go ahead score for the win late in the 4th, but the play was called back for holding.  Jags lost by a score.

(honorable mention) vs. West Brook 2006 - Jags started off hot with a 14-0 lead.  Throughout the rest of the game, Brook managed to score 17 unansered points and held the jags to that same 14 points to eventually win 17-14.

I remember back in 1999 when WO-S played Lincoln fighting for the third and final playoff spot! We were scoreless until late in the fourth quarter when Lincoln scored a field goal. Then the Mustangs fought back scoring on a very big run! We held Lincoln thanks to our Chain Gain defense forcing them to punt very late in the game. Then Jamal "Tootie" Warnell committed that costly turnover on punt return in deep in our own territory forcing Lincoln to score their game-winning touchdown, making the playoffs for the first time since 1985 while the Mustangs are being forced to miss out for the first time in seven years and the second time in fifteen and trust me, seven years is a long time! People who were at the game are never going to forget that. If Tootie would have never committed that costly turnover, the 'Stangs could have won a State Championship but who cares what happened in '99. Then next year we went to the State Finals, losing to Ennis 38-24! We were heartbroken but we never went down without a fight!

1983 LC-M v. Jasper @ LC-M.....Homer Rhoades takes a screen to the house to put LC-M up 14-13.  Jasper's ball with under 2:00 on the clock, works it to the -40 then throws a prayer up, knocked down at the 8 by Homer Rhoades, the hankie comes out....PI on Homer.  Jasper lines up and toe punches the kick through for the win as time expires.  Sickening.  Hebert ran through the district that year and Jasper and LC-M were playing for 2nd place and the playoffs.  LC-M beat French that year.  WO-S and Silsbee also lost to the Bears.  Great Season.

[quote name="skipmeister" post="1012787" timestamp="1305896780"]
I remember back in 1999 when WO-S played Lincoln fighting for the third and final playoff spot! We were scoreless until late in the fourth quarter when Lincoln scored a field goal. Then the Mustangs fought back scoring on a very big run! We held Lincoln thanks to our Chain Gain defense forcing them to punt very late in the game. Then Jamal "Tootie" Warnell committed that costly turnover on punt return in deep in our own territory forcing Lincoln to score their game-winning touchdown, making the playoffs for the first time since 1985 while the Mustangs are being forced to miss out for the first time in seven years and the second time in fifteen and trust me, seven years is a long time! People who were at the game are never going to forget that. If Tootie would have never committed that costly turnover, the 'Stangs could have won a State Championship but who cares what happened in '99. Then next year we went to the State Finals, losing to Ennis 38-24! We were heartbroken but we never went down without a fight!
[/quote]I was at this game. total mayhem after Lincoln scored that go-ahead TD.

[quote name="1motime" post="77584" timestamp="1162951129"]
[quote="Nederland Bandit"]Bay City in 2000.  :twisted:[/quote]

I'm with ya on that one  :cry:
[/quote]

Bay City, Texas City, Smithson Valley. But the one play that stands out, is the last of the Bay City game when NEdDis on the 1 yard line and we run a sweep to our side and it looked like we got in from the RB's dive but the line judge said he was down. NED sideline and fans were going crazy because everyone saw the RB go over. We needed instant replay that year.

[quote name="lubbockdawg" post="1012820" timestamp="1305903406"]
[quote author=1motime link=topic=6160.msg77584#msg77584 date=1162951129]

[/quote]

Bay City, Texas City, Smithson Valley. But the one play that stands out, is the last of the Bay City game when NEdDis on the 1 yard line and we run a sweep to our side and it looked like we got in from the RB's dive but the line judge said he was down. NED sideline and fans were going crazy because everyone saw the RB go over. We needed instant replay that year.
[/quote]saw this game also. he was clearly in

2000 vidor vs ozen for the district championship double ot, earlier in the 4th quarter we kicked an extra point to go up by 9 but a guy jumped off sides then missed the next extra point to only be up by 8 ozen scored and went for two to tie, then in the 2nd ot ozen scored first and kicked then vidor scored on one play went for two and missed by only inches that was a tough game but i will say this ozen was one of the most respectful teams i ever played had heard that they were thugs but after the game they were very respectful great game just a shame one of us had to lose

Guest Penny
[quote name="lubbockdawg" post="1012820" timestamp="1305903406"]
[quote author=1motime link=topic=6160.msg77584#msg77584 date=1162951129]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It was a little swing pass from Barbay to Ramoine, how do you not call him in?  The game was so close as it was, shoulda just wanted it to go OT. 

[quote name="Elben1968" post="1012817" timestamp="1305902240"]
1983 LC-M v. Jasper @ LC-M.....Homer Rhoades takes a screen to the house to put LC-M up 14-13.  Jasper's ball with under 2:00 on the clock, works it to the -40 then throws a prayer up, knocked down at the 8 by Homer Rhoades, the hankie comes out....PI on Homer.  Jasper lines up and toe punches the kick through for the win as time expires.  Sickening.  Hebert ran through the district that year and Jasper and LC-M were playing for 2nd place and the playoffs.  LC-M beat French that year.  WO-S and Silsbee also lost to the Bears.  Great Season.
[/quote]

Hebert was not in the district that year.  LCM did have a good team.  If I remember, there was a 3-way tie for 2nd and LCM went in by points. I may be wrong in some aspects but I think the 3-way tie was Silsbee, Lincoln and LCM.

[quote name="Elben1968" post="1012817" timestamp="1305902240"]
[/quote] 

My uncle played in this game.  I heard it was a really good game.  To bad LCM didnt win it.  I heard Jasper had some good running backs also.  I cant remember there names.

1986-Centrals 1st year in exstince ranked #1 When we lost to Brook by 1, and missed out on the playoffs (Baq when only 2 teams could go)

1990-Even though it was 30-15 we lost to what some believe was one of the best highschool football teams ever (1990 Aldine).Plus that 90 team was the best to come through central. 6-shut outs, 5-30pt+ games. If we're on the other side of the bracket, where in State..

2003- Bay City lost in the 3rd round..That was a great Defense, if only we had a little O, IMO we would have been there at the end.

2008- IMO one of Centrals best all-around teams (O and D)..I think if we beat FW, our Defense stacks up better aginst Garret Gilbert n LT, ecspecialy with our momentum rideing high.

2009- P.N.G,,What can I say, the stars where aline that night for P.N.G lol..

2010- Humble..Men what a heart breaker..1st half , you would swore we would have blown them out, then bam, muffed punt, and momentum turns for the worse..We had a pretty good team to that I think could have challenge FW..

I know that it probably looks a little different from the Central side, but that game was a miracle. Dre Dunbar's play solidified his reputation as a miracle worker and that 10-0 record could not have come at a better time for PN-G. We felt like PN-G was declining after the previous year. The 2009 season left the whole school feeling like we could do anyting - like there was still hope for what we had always been taught was PN-G - and the outstanding, incredibly productive school year that followed reflected the rejuvinating football season. That game is the reason the fight song's first three words are "always be faithful."

The most heartbreaking losses I've seen would probably be the 2010 MCM game and our two most recent playoff losses. We started to mount a comeback in all three games and fell just short. The Brenham game really hurt, especially after what we had been through that week. I remember someone saying on here that whichever team won that game would go to state, and he was right. I just wish it had been us.

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="40205" timestamp="1156295217"]
EC led undefeated and #1 Newton 7-6 in the second half (year before last). Newton scored to pull ahead 13-7. EC drove down the field late in the 4th, and got inside their 15, but couldn't quite push it in. INCREDIBLE effort by our Bucs!  :D  We were close to huge upset.
[/quote]

That was A great job ECBUCFAN by 2004-2005 BUCS football Team !!!! It was a honor to coach that game against the Great Curtis Barbay!!!!!Great Coach and man!!!

The '96 football season we (EC) had the number 1 defense in the state and we lose by 1 in Area to Rosebud-Lott.  They jumped out to a 28-7 lead before halftime, and we come back to lose 34-33.  Our all-state kicker missed 3 xp's and a game winning attempt of 50 yards.  Can't blame the kicker though, our defense did not show up at all in the 1st quarter.  We win that game and we probably go a few more rounds because we would have played Arp next and they were a pass happy team, and we gave up 20 yards passing per game.  This was the same year that we played Deweyville in Winnie in a horrible rain storm and won 21-19.  We were #8 in state and they were #10.

[quote name="H.I._Cardinals soon to be Natalia Mustang" post="1015392" timestamp="1306848464"]
The '96 football season we (EC) had the number 1 defense in the state and we lose by 1 in Area to Rosebud-Lott.  They jumped out to a 28-7 lead before halftime, and we come back to lose 34-33.  Our all-state kicker missed 3 xp's and a game winning attempt of 50 yards.  Can't blame the kicker though, our defense did not show up at all in the 1st quarter.  We win that game and we probably go a few more rounds because we would have played Arp next and they were a pass happy team, and we gave up 20 yards passing per game.  This was the same year that we played Deweyville in Winnie in a horrible rain storm and won 21-19.  We were #8 in state and they were #10.
[/quote]

Was this the same year that EC kicked the long field goal at the end to beat Garrison in the first round?

I don't think there was a tie.  Hebert beat everyone BAD!!!!  LC-M and Jasper both beat Silsbee.  It was the last game of the year and the winner was in.  Jasper played FB Willowridge in the first round.  The backs for Jasper were Reggie Davis and Tony Allen....woof

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder