Area Schools?

Barbers Hill will be out all week - probably longer. Heard there was damage to almost every school. High school flooded (sky-lights blew off building), Auxillary gym - roof damage and gym flooded, middle school and intermediate building - roof damage (probably some sort of flooding, water damage), renovated field house (2006) - roof blew off and flooded complex, football stadium - press box damage. I'm sure there is more but don't know - will keep you all updated when I hear more. My prayers go out to everyone that has been affected by IKE. We will recover! God Bless :)

Barbers Hill will be out all week - probably longer. Heard there was damage to almost every school. High school flooded (sky-lights blew off building), Auxillary gym - roof damage and gym flooded, middle school and intermediate building - roof damage (probably some sort of flooding, water damage), renovated field house (2006) - roof blew off and flooded complex, football stadium - press box damage. I'm sure there is more but don't know - will keep you all updated when I hear more. My prayers go out to everyone that has been affected by IKE. We will recover! God Bless :)

You'd think being one of the ritchest schools in the state would have come out a little better than that lol

That was pretty low at a time when all the schools to the east are in bad shape.Ā  Yes, BH was hit hard, heard it may be Oct. 9th before they resume.Ā  Anahuac was hit very hard and parts of it's community destroyed.Ā  I have a friend over there that saw a man today, just sitting where his house used to be.Ā  Prayers to everyone in south east Texas.Ā  Yes, we will all recover!

You'd think being one of the ritchest schools in the state would have come out a little better than that lol

That was pretty low at a time when all the schools to the east are in bad shape.Ā  Yes, BH was hit hard, heard it may be Oct. 9th before they resume.Ā  Anahuac was hit very hard and parts of it's community destroyed.Ā  I have a friend over there that saw a man today, just sitting where his house used to be.Ā  Prayers to everyone in south east Texas.Ā  Yes, we will all recover!

That wasn't at all a shot at BH sorry if comes out that way...just found it ironic

Guest TravelingBandsman

From what I saw, Dayton schools seem to be in good structural shape. I drove down there from SFA to see some family and friends and I was able to drive by 4 of the schools. Debris from trees everywhere, but the buildings were fine from what I could tell.

I was in Groesbeck during the storm and figured that BH really got hammered.

Prayers and best wishes goes out to all the people in BH.

Hopefully they will get everything up and running quickly.

Yes this area was hit hard. I haven't heard of the damage east of Anahuac, does any one know?? I know for Anahuac the roof is off the gym and the band hall, we suffered the wind and rain damage like most of the places around here. What I've heard from the school is we will be out a month. I think that is worse case but not sure. As for people standing or sitting in the place where their house was, is what it is like in Oak Island. For those who know that area let me try to put into words. If you go past the boat ramp, like you are heading to the channel marker or Hammerheads, you can see the bay from that point! All them house in that area are just gone. The only thing standing in that area is the Oak Island Lodge and his house, the top floor of the channel marker and parts of Hammerhead's. There are houses that have floated across roads, boats and cars have floated to ditches. It is bad down there, it is hard to describe the damage with words. Do not try to go down there right now because state troopers will run you out of there and/or take you to jail. It is hard for the people that own property down there to get in.

That wasn't at all a shot at BH sorry if comes out that way...just found it ironic

You know what they say about opening your mouth and removeing all doubt. Very ignorant statement wether it was a shot or not. What in the crap does money have to do with a storm???? Dynegy has all of the money in the world but there down town office got destroyed 8)Ā  There is a lot of damage at BH and I have heard that the school will not be open next week either! Hope all at BH and surround communitys are doing well.

My wife works for Dayton ISD and I know that the 6th grade campus had roof damage and the middle school roof was being fixed due to the fact that it leaks water all over the floor when it just rains so I can safely assume that the middle school building had some water damage.

But just got word that the power came back on today around 7:00pm and most of the stores are up and running but with long lines.

From what they told me the gas situation is not as bad as other places, the lines are long as heck but you can get gasoline.

I drove around local communities yesterday and saw some substantial damage in the districts of HF and EC. Both communities were VERY hard hit. Many houses and businesses leveled, but worse is the water damage to areas between Hwy 73 and Hwy 124. As far as the stadiums, EC's stadium looked on scathed, but the gym and buildings around it were in bad shape. HF's football stadium looked to take the worst of the storm. Both press boxes demolished and a pile of rubble on the ground. Ticket boths and ALL storage buildings gone. But all light poles were still standing. The remainder of the HS campus seemed in fairly good shape.

You know what they say about opening your mouth and removeing all doubt. Very ignorant statement wether it was a shot or not. What in the crap does money have to do with a storm???? Dynegy has all of the money in the world but there down town office got destroyed 8)Ā  There is a lot of damage at BH and I have heard that the school will not be open next week either! Hope all at BH and surround communitys are doing well.

No doubt. The explanation you gave wasn't much better either.Ā  ???

Guest Pirate V Ball

www.kogt.com

School Updates 9-17-08

WOCCISD - Supt. Taylor Collins said he's wanting to begin school on Monday but doesn't know if he'll have enough faculty and bus drivers.Ā  He reported that North Early Learning Ctr. received the most water damage, but that the high school and Oates already have power.Ā  Those students will be transferred to other campuses.

LCMCISD- Supt. Pauline Hargrove said the LCM schools received little damage and that they are ready to open but the city hasn't given the all-clear on the sewage system.Ā  She expects school to resume sometime next week with an answer coming soon.

BCISD- Supt. Jamey Harrison said the high school didn't have water in it.Ā  The middle school and intermediate had about 2-3", Hatton had about 2' and Sims had 4' of water.Ā  Harrison is hopeful that students will be able to return in three weeks.Ā  Stay tuned for a faculty hotline phone number.

OFISD- Supt. Phillip Welch said the Bobcat schools fared well with no structural damage.Ā  He said the return date for school will depend more on faculty members returning because many live in BC and other places that received heavier damage but he's hoping for sometime next week.

DeweyvilleISD- Supt. Rick Summers said the Pirates were fortunate not to receive any serious damage.Ā  Faculty will have a workday Monday.Ā  He said a start date will be determined when power is restored to all campuses.

St. Mary- Principal Frances Droddy reports the school received little damage and like LCM, they are waiting on utilities to be in order before determining a start date but she's also looking at resuming next week.

VidorISD- We have been unable to contact Supt. Willie Hays.

Does anyone know if the season is over?Ā  I wondered since BH may not be able to start school until Oct.Ā  Places like BC are in real bad shape, heard they were 100% under water...WOW...that's horrible!

BH is meeting at 1 PM Friday to see if school resumes Monday. Word is though that school will begin!!!

Heard that High Island stadium has lost lights for the second year in a row on the home side. Also heard their bus barn was messed up. But word is they want to try to play. That pennisula though suffered a huge loss. Homes destroyed and those people will probably not be able to recognize home when they return. Heard though that the school looks at reopening in about 2-4 weeks.

Almost all of Nederland ISD (and Nederland) has power as of this morning.Ā  The exception is Highland Park Elem and the houses around that school.Ā  Mine included of courseĀ  >:(.Ā  The school district wants the teachers to come back to work on the 24th and the kids will come back on the 25th.Ā  Damage was minor at the schools.Ā  The stadium is fine with the exception of the back of the scoreboard (again). Check out the NISD website for updates.Ā  www.nederland.k12.tx.us

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder