Fema information

FEMA: We will not make you whole

By DEE DIXON

This is the hidden content, please

A Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) spokesperson Monday said the national agency "will not make residents whole."

Unlike after Hurricane Rita, FEMA officials said they are not currently offering the $2,000 expedited assistance to individuals.

The spokesperson said residents should still register with FEMA to see if they qualify for other assistance progams.

The agency could assist residents with damage to their homes, depending on the homeowner's insurance coverage.

FEMA is encouraging all homeowners impacted by Hurricane Ike to go over their insurance policy to check to see what coverage will be provided to them.

For those residents who evacuated, FEMA is encouraging them to keep their receipts for possible reimbursement.

FEMA will not cover the purchase of a generator, according to the spokesperson.

For FEMA assistance, log onto FEMA.gov or call 1-800-621-3362

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FEMA is going to get crucified either way with this storm.  Ike's impact on sheer number of people is bigger than that of Katrina and Rita combined.  I knew N.O. is a large city but in terms of residents impacted the numbers from Katrina and Rita put together will not equal Ike.  So there is no feasible way FEMA could spring the $2000 deal again, Houston alone is what 5 million residents?  Even if tried to say they were all married with 2 kids that would leave 1.25 million multiplied by $2000 that would be 2.5 billion dollars and we all know that rough math is way low and only factors in the city of Houston, not SETX, not Galveston, not Conroe etc etc etc.  So it appears to me that FEMA is damned if they do and damned if they dont.  Even with the new insurance guidelines after Rita I'd be shocked if insurance companies are able to pony up everything they should, and then after that even if they did, why would they even offer insurance to people living so close to the shore after 2 major storms in 3 years, think the rates were bad before, think what they will skyrocket to.  Electric, make sure you ask Entergy to kiss you afterwards for the treatment you are bound to get.  They were still raising rates from Rita this year to pay for their losses from 2005, that would be another increase in your bill. Oh wait, you need gas for your car?  All the refining plants down for a while, rigs as well waiting on power, that will be another increase for your wallet.  Then add to that the number of people jobless due to the storm, thus making the workplace more competitive, why pay someone $10 an hour to work, when this other person who is out of job will do the same job for $8 or 9 per hour.  Doesn't paint a pretty picture.  And in case anyone thinks I'm deliberately trying to flame, believe me that is far from the truth, even though I personally dont live in SETX any longer I still have a child who does so she has to continue to grow up, so I hope my above mentioned fears arent true.

FEMA is going to get crucified either way with this storm.  Ike's impact on sheer number of people is bigger than that of Katrina and Rita combined.  I knew N.O. is a large city but in terms of residents impacted the numbers from Katrina and Rita put together will not equal Ike.  So there is no feasible way FEMA could spring the $2000 deal again, Houston alone is what 5 million residents?  Even if tried to say they were all married with 2 kids that would leave 1.25 million multiplied by $2000 that would be 2.5 billion dollars and we all know that rough math is way low and only factors in the city of Houston, not SETX, not Galveston, not Conroe etc etc etc.  So it appears to me that FEMA is damned if they do and damned if they dont.  Even with the new insurance guidelines after Rita I'd be shocked if insurance companies are able to pony up everything they should, and then after that even if they did, why would they even offer insurance to people living so close to the shore after 2 major storms in 3 years, think the rates were bad before, think what they will skyrocket to.  Electric, make sure you ask Entergy to kiss you afterwards for the treatment you are bound to get.  They were still raising rates from Rita this year to pay for their losses from 2005, that would be another increase in your bill. Oh wait, you need gas for your car?  All the refining plants down for a while, rigs as well waiting on power, that will be another increase for your wallet.  Then add to that the number of people jobless due to the storm, thus making the workplace more competitive, why pay someone $10 an hour to work, when this other person who is out of job will do the same job for $8 or 9 per hour.  Doesn't paint a pretty picture.  And in case anyone thinks I'm deliberately trying to flame, believe me that is far from the truth, even though I personally dont live in SETX any longer I still have a child who does so she has to continue to grow up, so I hope my above mentioned fears arent true.

I understand what you are saying and the cost of this is going to be astronomical. I wonder if I will be able to refuse paying taxes because they are "to much"? We all know the answer to that. I think that the powers that be should take that same approach now. I'm not trying to turn this into a political debate, but we would jump through our a$$ in this country to spend that money for another country that had this kind of catastrophy. I don't think it's wrong for us to expect the same.

fema is now covering your hotel rooms!!!

How do you know, and if we already registered how do we get this?

If you have registered, go to the fema website and check and see if your application has been updated.  Mine was and it said I was eligible for temp housing.  After that, take your fema # to the hotel and if they are fema contracted they will cover your room. 

If you have registered, go to the fema website and check and see if your application has been updated.  Mine was and it said I was eligible for temp housing.  After that, take your fema # to the hotel and if they are fema contracted they will cover your room. 

Thanks, mine is updated now. Now to find out if my place is hotel contracted.

Guest rykerx144

how long did it take for them to update your registration. i filled it out on saturday night and when i try to log in it accepts my password and asks for my pin and when i enter my pin it says not updated.

Thanks, mine is updated now. Now to find out if my place is hotel contracted.

Is there a website or place you can find what Hotels participate with FEMA?

Guys, a FEMA rep made the mistake of wearing his badge to the Waffle House in Orange this morning so I hijacked him on his way out LOL and I ask him to give me some straight answers. I ask him a plethora of questions and he finally told me that, they were, more than likely, have a lump sum relief money available even though it is not right now and that everyone will end up being eligible whether you are in a FEMA hotel or not or still living at your house on generators. He did not know a time table, but he made mention of the fact that it's an election year and they are going to want voters happy so he was sure it was coming. This, by all means, was not official, but it's good to hear.

we were told we were only eligible for hotel reimbursement, and as we did not stay in a hotel, but rather with friends in dallas, we will receive no relief from the costs of evacuation.

Bullets,

Make sure you register w/ FEMA, and save ALL of your receipts.  You should get reimbursed for those expenses.

I was told last night that you could go to the food stamp office nearest you and receive emergency food stamps.  Make sure you bring SS# for everyone in your household.  Income is not a qualification to get them because this is an emergency situation.  I wasnt sure I believed it so I went to portarthur.net and linked over to Texas Online and it is true. 

we were told we were only eligible for hotel reimbursement, and as we did not stay in a hotel, but rather with friends in dallas, we will receive no relief from the costs of evacuation.

Bullets,

Make sure you register w/ FEMA, and save ALL of your receipts.  You should get reimbursed for those expenses.

thanks!

For those of you tired of recordings.... here are some numbers for the regional FEMA offices for texas/louisianna...

The guy I talked to several minutes ago knows what is going on... they will try and direct you to the website/hotline, but be persistant and your questions will be answered...

Telephone Numbers:

Main Number: 1 (940) 898-5399

Congressional Inquiries: 1 (940) 898-5104

Media Inquiries: 1 (940) 898-5104

I was told last night that you could go to the food stamp office nearest you and receive emergency food stamps.  Make sure you bring SS# for everyone in your household.  Income is not a qualification to get them because this is an emergency situation.  I wasnt sure I believed it so I went to portarthur.net and linked over to Texas Online and it is true. 

Not accurate at all... They are very much checking your income and people are getting turned down right and left!!!! It appears the "emergency" part is for those who already milk the state to get more put on their card!!!

That is correct!! I know several people who have recieved them.

That is correct!! I know several people who have recieved them.

Then please share the magic potion!!!! Weve spoken with three different offices who are giving three different stories!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder