*HURRICANE IKE AFTERMATH AND COMMENTS*

KFDM COOP

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Galveston and Cameron Parish in La are being evacuated...whats the hold up with Us?

If you want to leave, then do so. No one needs permission to get out of the area. They aren't going to call for an evacuation unless there is a good chance of major damage to the area. That may be the decision shortly but as of yet, that is not the predictions.

... also, they aren't going to evacuate just because we may get some effects from the storm.

Its always better to be safe than sorry... This storm is right on our butts and could do anything! If it stays the course we could be greatly effected! If they continue to wait how would the elderly and special needs have time to do anything???? C'mon tvc,youre a cop,you know their job as elected officials is to protect the citizens of their counties and I think as of now theyre failing miserably!

There will be major traffic problems no matter when it is called. There is not much of a way to avoid it. They do try to stagger the people leaving but that is a joke. Sabine Pass and Port Arthur at 6:00AM, Mid-County at 8:00AM, Beaumont at 10:00AM, etc.

That is yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded movie house and asking the first row to sit down for 2 minutes and wait their turn. It all makes sense but no one goes by it and everyone rushes for the exit. That always will happen with evacuations whether they call it for this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

... also, they aren't going to evacuate just because we may get some effects from the storm.

Its always better to be safe than sorry... This storm is right on our butts and could do anything! If it stays the course we could be greatly effected! If they continue to wait how would the elderly and special needs have time to do anything???? C'mon tvc,youre a cop,you know their job as elected officials is to protect the citizens of their counties and I think as of now theyre failing miserably!

Yes and they did exactly that a few days ago for Gustav and everyone was up in arms because we didn't get hit. Gustav was very close. We got some heavy rains and some fairly strong winds out of it in parts of this area. That didn't matter. Many people seemed to be angry that their homes were still standing and they left "for no reason".

AGAIN, if anyone wants to leave, then do so. There is no permission needed to evacuate. This isn't China where you need papers to authorize someone to leave the county.

If they call an evacuation this afternoon for tomorrow morning and it hits near Corpus Christi, the exact same people that are complaining now, will complain again that we didn't get hit again.

Galveston and Cameron Parish in La are being evacuated...whats the hold up with Us?

If you want to leave, then do so. No one needs permission to get out of the area. They aren't going to call for an evacuation unless there is a good chance of major damage to the area. That may be the decision shortly but as of yet, that is not the predictions.

Most of us in fact do need permission to make sure we don't have to go to work, kids don't have school, etc.  Unless evacuations are called, most of this will not be cancelled/closed.  So, everyone is waiting around to see if they have obligations tomorrow and Friday or not.

if those effects are 70 mph winds and several inches of rain, and that without the very possible eastward shift, i think it's time to go. 

Then leave. I'm not being flip about it. If you think it is not worth staying and getting into the crowd, go now.

We need to know about the schools so we can decide.   We DO need permission or the kids suffer unexcused absences.

if those effects are 70 mph winds and several inches of rain, and that without the very possible eastward shift, i think it's time to go. 

Then leave. I'm not being flip about it. If you think it is not worth staying and getting into the crowd, go now.

i teach for BISD.  i can use a couple of personal days, but i'll take a ton of crap about it from my principal (and if a lot of teachers leave, then probably the superintendent).  they're not going to cancel classes until there is an evacuation called.  the problem with what is happening is that people are being forced to choose between safety and their jobs.  it's not an enviable situation to be in.  if the evacuation is called, people don't have to try to either explain themselves to their bosses or try to lie about why they are leaving.  

Yes and they did exactly that a few days ago for Gustav and everyone was up in arms because we didn't get hit. Gustav was very close. We got some heavy rains and some fairly strong winds out of it in parts of this area. That didn't matter. Many people seemed to be angry that their homes were still standing and they left "for no reason".

AGAIN, if anyone wants to leave, then do so. There is no permission needed to evacuate. This isn't China where you need papers to authorize someone to leave the county.

If they call an evacuation this afternoon for tomorrow morning and it hits near Corpus Christi, the exact same people that are complaining now, will complain again that we didn't get hit again.

I beg to differ,permission is infact needed, China or not...

This is my post from last Sunday. I said then what I knew and I will say it again. If they call for an evacuation, it will be at 6:00AM on Thursday morning. They will make the decision this afternoon. I was not making it up then and I am not making it up now.

Even my Sunday post was based on us getting hit, much less it going south of here. There is no way they would call for one before then. Hopefully they will finish their meeting soon (if not already) and we will find out.

does this mean we have to evacuate again?

Likely Thursday morning at 6:00AM ....  

....IF it stays on its current track and IF it maintains speed.  

BPD is on tv right now talking about how they have contigency plans in place in case Ike does shift.  They know how "unpredictable" these storms can be.  I hope those plans involve crash courses on surviving hurricanes while in your car!

Yes, the plans have been in place just for this evacuation since last weekend. They are just waiting for them to be implemented, if they think it is needed.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder