*WO-S vs. Nederland/WOS WINS 33-13/COMMENTS

I guess another encouraging point for Nederland fans.  Looking at the roster, seems we are starting 5 sophomores, that's got to be a record for Nederland.  Also, we'll get Brady back, that's a huge game changer there, and having Krautz toting the rock so Grogan can share carries and play some defense is also a big deal.  Saw Lovelady was on the sidelines in street clothes, that's another key defender we need.  I also imagine that as the games really count, we'll see a lot more of Cardenas and maybe Huber on the defensive side of the ball.  No need to wear em out now, but I see a lot of potential in this team, just still a lot of work to do.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cardenas ran past him on that first TD, then he jumped over him, then he ran around him.  Very much a bright spot for Nederland to see Cardenas have his way against a well coached and athletic WOS secondary, that bodes well for the rest of the season.

A few observations.  That's about the best WOS offense I've seen in awhile, great combination of rb/qb, they can beat you either way.  Nederland protected the QB well tonight, which is very encouraging against a WOS defense that will be as good as most they see.  There wasn't a black jersey that could tackle #20 from WOS.  There wasn't a white jersey that could cover #21 from Nederland.  In the end, Nederland didn't make enough plays to stay with the high powered Stangs.  Dropped a TD pass with noone around, and got a 70 yard run called back for holding, either or both plays needed to be made for Nederland to have a chance.  WOS is legit, they are solid and should be a force this year... guess most folks already knew that.

To me, this WOS team isn't close to some of their prior teams even though they ran it up and down the field at will against us . I believe they have the potential to get there later, and when that happens look out. 

secondary needs work for sure!!! its nice to see we have a kicker capable of making a PAT!!!! at first the team on the field didnt resemble the wos team were use to seeing, it seemed there was no fire in their eyes and a few heads seemed to have been hanging after that horrible coverage on the td. the running game was more than solid and we HAVE to get these receivers the ball and make good throws! i heard alot of chatter in the stands about needing only 8 yards for the first but going for 60 yards down the field and overthrowing everyone. we have to open up the playbook...i guess we'll see.

Admin, I agree defensively, not quite one of the best yet, but I thought on offense for the first game of the season they looked pretty sharp.  We didn't tackle very well, but alot of that had to do with the athletes toting the ball.  Guess time will tell, I just thought they were pretty balanced?

Cardenas ran past him on that first TD, then he jumped over him, then he ran around him.  Very much a bright spot for Nederland to see Cardenas have his way against a well coached and athletic WOS secondary, that bodes well for the rest of the season.

Cardenas had a nice game (as to be expected 1st team All-State) however the DB from WO-S played well against him most of the evening.  A miscue by two of the DB's for WO-S allowed Cardenas to score early, but that was pretty much it...  Both teams will improve, and YES; as WO-S improves, watch out!

Here's my thoughts on the game.

I thought the final score was pretty indicative of the game. WO-S was 20 points better than Nederland tonight.

WO-S has an excellent combo with Hypolite and Garrett and I thought they made great adjustments at halftime to exploit the Nederland D.

Nederland was fortunate to only be down 5 at the break.

I thought coming in that Nederland's 2ndary was a major weakness, but they did play well tonight.

Nederland cannot tackle once again this season.

Asa Cardenas is an absolute stud.

Nick Cardenas, Jordan Landry, and Jimmy Swain had solid games for Nederland D.

WO-S has lots of speed as usual.

The Nederland O-Line did a very good job of protecting Bellow and giving him time to throw.

The dropped pass by #5 for Nederland totally took the wind out of the sails and squashed any comeback hopes. He was wide open. He did redeem himself with a nice TD catch later in the game though.

The holding penalty on the long run by Grogan was another back breaker. It was a good call by the ref though.

It will be interesting to see how the makeup of the offense changes with Krautz and Brady in the lineup, but WO-S was clearly better than us as was Jasper in the scrimmage.

I am not a big fan of the spread and wish Nederland would run a pro-style offense.

Nederland better learn to tackle or the streak might be 2 years in a row.

Good luck to WO-S the rest of the way.

Jake, great analysis.  I agree on all points.  I do think the folks we are missing create a HUGE difference in the way we will play defense as the year progresses.  I have to think that Grogan will spend more time on defense.  We get Brady back and when it matters I'm sure we'll have Brady/Cardenas in the 2ndary at crucial points in the game.  I was impressed with the improvement in the o-line, if they continue to protect like that, we are going to throw some points up. 

And again, if we protect the QB, Bellows to Cardenas is going to be PROLIFIC this year.  You just gotta put it in his area and he will catch it.  He is as you put it a stud and even when he was covered tonight, he was not covered, KIDS GOOD.

My thoughts:

I agree with most of the analaysis.  The offense needs to grind it out more to keep the D off the field so much.  Our D played them well in the first half with a few exceptions.  They were worn out in the second half and that made for more poor tackling.  That #20 doesn't need much of a seam to be gone, he's small and fast.  Some of those things should change once we get a couple of people back.

The O line protected better for the most part.  Still needs some work.  Also, why were we trying to run around the ends??  They are too fast for that and we had some sucess running between the tackles. 

Should have thrown to Asa all night until they stopped us. He burned that corner most of the night.

I was impressed by the way both teams played, I think Nederland had 1 penalty and WO-S 2.  WO-S didn't self destruct in the red zone.  #9 was on Cardenas like a cheap suit all nite, the kid made his catches but he's going to because he is a stud, #9 may be the only man all year to cover him man to man.  I didn't see him run past, then around the guy on the TD like someone said, it was blown coverage all the way, no one within 10 yards of the man.  #21 and #3 for the Dogs are both bad to the bone and they will be ok, they had some starters out who will be back, Stangs also missing a starter or two, which is not good, I think I saw 25 silver helmets on the sideline before kickoff, but they can all play.

...........Nederland............WOS

1st dns     8                    21           terrible

rush yds  16/13              47/384       terrible

per carry   .81                8.17          terrible

yds         204                 458           terrible

comp%     37.9                50            terrible

nederland had 204 total yds and 268 punting yds .... terrible

we need to put Grogan in front of Krautz, get a tight end and run the football, we can still throw to Asa . losing to Dayton, Lumberton, jasper(scrmge) and WOS consecutively has got to be driving  Neumann crazy, he doesn't take losing easy. We use to be one of the elites in the golden triangle. We better regroup in a hurry

...........Nederland............WOS

1st dns     8                    21           terrible

rush yds  16/13              47/384       terrible

per carry   .81                8.17          terrible

yds         204                 458           terrible

comp%     37.9                50            terrible

nederland had 204 total yds and 268 punting yds .... terrible

we need to put Grogan in front of Krautz, get a tight end and run the football, we can still throw to Asa . losing to Dayton, Lumberton, jasper(scrmge) and WOS consecutively has got to be driving  Neumann crazy, he doesn't take losing easy. We use to be one of the elites in the golden triangle. We better regroup in a hurry

GOOD IDEA.

My analysis:

Garrett is a STUD!

I think our defense is going to be tough. You are not going to make a living running on this team. Ned had 13 yards rushing and that ain't bad against Nederland.

We gave up a little in the air, but Bellows is a good QB and that Cardenas kid made some circus catches out there. We only gave up a total of 204 yds. against a team like Nederland, that's awesome!

I could not believe how well our O line blocked tonight, they looked so-so in the scrimmages, but really came to play tonight. I really had no idea what to expect coming into tonight, but they far exceeded what I thought they would/could do. 458 total yards... WOW!

I think Nederland will be OK. They have a great passing game. Their defense will have to tighten up though.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder