NCAA accuses A&M-Corpus Christi of 9 violations

Guest Jags

NCAA accuses A&M-Corpus Christi of 9 violations

Ashly Elam

Story Created: Jul 26, 2008 at 10:40 PM CDT

Story Updated: Jul 26, 2008 at 10:40 PM CDT

DALLAS (AP) - The NCAA has accused Texas A&M-Corpus Christi of nine rules violations, including use of ineligible players,

recruiting violations in men's basketball and lack of institutional

control.

The alleged violations, eight of them major, occurred mainly

between 2004 and 2008 in men's basketball, women's volleyball and

men's tennis.

The NCAA's notice of allegations was obtained today by The

Associated Press.

It also accuses athletic director Brian Teter of not reporting

to the NCAA his knowledge of two ineligible players and later

submitting a false self-report regarding one of those players.

The NCAA charged the athletic department with a lack of

institutional control, saying the school failed to monitor the

eligibility of student-athletes, properly train staff in NCAA

rules, police itself for rules violations and accurately report any

violations.

The school has to respond to the allegations by October 29th and

is scheduled to appear before the NCAA infractions committee on

December 5th in Indianapolis.

In a statement, school President Flavius Killebrew said he does

not want the school or its athletic department, which started in

1998, to be tarnished by the allegations.

Guest coachacola

I have my doubts that TAMUCC will start football anytime soon.  I'm sure they were invited to the SLC because of their strong basketball program, but now they'll probably be on probation for a few years.  Corpus Christi is a good market for the SLC and in the long term having TAMUCC in the conference should turn out to be a good thing.

BTW, I've driven around their campus and wasn't impressed at all.  You'd think a campus right on the bay would be really pretty but the campus is really plain and dull.  And because it's built on a small island (more like a peninsula), they don't have any room to expand.  One problem for them concerning football is they really don't have any place to build a football stadium.

I was picking on Terror, but after reading the 9 violations I see these are some serious violations.

taken from katfans....

The letter from the NCAA identified the following violations:

(1) In the 2005-2006 academic year the University permitted a student-athlete to play volleyball for a sixth year in excess of the permissible five-year period of eligibility.

(2) A student-athlete in spring 2004 was provided athletically related financial aid at the time he was a nonqualified and was fulfilling a year of residency at the University. In addition, in spring and fall 2004 the same student-athlete was permitted to serve as a manager for the men’s tennis program although he was not eligible to serve in this capacity. Furthermore, when the University became aware in spring 2005 of this improper financial aid and managerial duties it failed to declare him ineligible and permitted him to play tennis.

(3) From August 2007 through February 2008 the assistant men’s basketball coach place impermissible telephone calls to four two-year prospective student-athletics.

(4) In spring 2008 the University provided a four-year transfer student-athlete with various impermissible recruiting inducements such as housing and transportation while the student-athlete was residing near the institution and attempting to enroll.

(5) The current athletic director was involved in and had knowledge of the decisions to not report alleged violations by two student-athletes, as well as the submission in November 2007 of an inaccurate self report.

(6) A former director of compliance was involved in and had knowledge of alleged violations by two student athletes, as well as the giving in April 2008 of false and misleading information to the NCAA enforcement staff.

(7) A former director of compliance failed to withhold a student-athlete from athletic competition, and he authorized transportation for a prospective student-athlete in violation of NCAA rules.

(8 ) The scope and nature of the alleged violations demonstrate that the University failed to exercise institutional control and monitoring in the conduct and administration of its athletics program in the critical areas of NCAA compliance.

(9) The director of athletics in February 2008 authorized the head men’s basketball coach to expend personal funds for recruiting purposes, inconsistent with institutional polices and in violation of NCAA regulations.

This is bad for CC, really bad.

Way to go Tom Burnett.... He bring in a no football school and now this...

If you want to give me a hard time -- SLC took a risk in bringing in non-football Lamar, especially with what was at the time, a slumping basketball program. No telling if LU was going to bring in football when the SLC let Lamar back into the conference...

As far as A&M-CC goes, that's not good at all. They got to get their ducks in a row...

If you want to give me a hard time -- SLC took a risk in bringing in non-football Lamar, especially with what was at the time, a slumping basketball program. No telling if LU was going to bring in football when the SLC let Lamar back into the conference...

As far as A&M-CC goes, that's not good at all. They got to get their ducks in a row...

Lamar has brought more to the SLC then the SLC did for Lamar. Had Lamar stayed in the Sunbelt, Lamar would be playing FBS in 2012 instead

of JV ball in the slc.

Anyway, back on subject. The punishment by the NCAA for 1 or 2 of these violations are tough on non BCS schools. However we are talking 9 violations, 6 I consider very serious. Lamar is just now recovering from its 1991 womens basketball screw-up. If the NCAA  does not give CC the free pass it gives to BCS schools, this could be a disaster for CC and the SLC. CC athletics could end up lower than Nicholls st for years if not a decade. Fan support will dry up. Maybe CC canceling its athletics if not a few sports. Maybe CC gets the boot from the SLC.

A storm is building.

Guest abovetherim

This post just reaffirms what most think of you Texas Terror. Lamar was a original member of the SLC so there was no was SLC was going to say no to Lamar.

If Lamar had now have left, I would have had a difficult time adding a DII school in Huntsville.  ;D

This post just reaffirms what most think of you Texas Terror. Lamar was a original member of the SLC so there was no was SLC was going to say no to Lamar.

If Lamar had now have left, I would have had a difficult time adding a DII school in Huntsville.  ;D

Thanks for letting be sarcastic in a retort to UNLV...

ABR3, most of the time when dealing with an individual who has a fundamental misunderstanding of collegiate athletics and refuses to look at the truth, numbers and more -- I got to have some fun.

Thanks for letting be sarcastic in a retort to UNLV...

ABR3, most of the time when dealing with an individual who has a fundamental misunderstanding of collegiate athletics and refuses to look at the truth, numbers and more -- I got to have some fun.

In other words, agree with Terror or you don't know jack about sports.

In other words, agree with Terror or you don't know jack about sports.

That's not true -- I'm a young pup and learn quite a bit from the next generation up -- but sometimes, things said just are too out of this world and need someone to bring that back to Earth.

A lot of us look at your opinion and feel the need to bring you back down to Earth.

Guest coachacola

Half the fun of this site is the banter between UNLV and TexasTerror.  :D

But back on topic, this will set TAMU-CC back for years and I doubt you'll see football there for anytime soon.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami