The best head coach

If Nederland makes the playoffs it is Cody Robbins. The Bulldogs have battled all season long and if they get in - they for sure will have earned it a very hard way.

In 3A, in my opinion it is Billy Bryant. The Cardinals are the only team in our immediate area in the 3A and 4A level to have secured anything and it happens to be a district championship.

Buddy Thames at Kingwood Park for leading a bunch of Fish and Sophes to a 9-1 district record with maybe 6 total errors.

Coach Thames is a great coach and Deberry (Huffman) gets the most out of his talent.

This is a tough one, there are some very good coaches around SETX...Coach Mixson of Jasper did a great job last year leading the Dogs to a championship. Coach Bryant of BC is also a great coach ,just unlucky, although I predict this year that his luck will change. Kevin Terrier of Buna has done an incredible job with the Buna Cougars.

This is a tough one, there are some very good coaches around SETX...Coach Mixson of Jasper did a great job last year leading the Dogs to a championship. Coach Bryant of BC is also a great coach ,just unlucky, although I predict this year that his luck will change. Kevin Terrier of Buna has done an incredible job with the Buna Cougars.

I am having trouble understanding why Bryant is unlucky, he is at one of the top 3A schools in the state and he seems to have guys every year that play at the next level.  How in the world do you consider that unlucky?  Justify that statement please.

You obviously was not at the BC/Jasper playoff games last year. BC had a few plays go against them or they would be the state champions right now. Some plays were even decided by a few inches..thats what I mean by unlucky. I give Jasper all of the credit in the world for winning but BC was just as good or some could argue better. Bryant has been unlucky his whole career in my opinion. He is an outstanding coach who takes alot of flack in BC.

Guest Bulldog

You obviously was not at the BC/Jasper playoff games last year. BC had a few plays go against them or they would be the state champions right now. Some plays were even decided by a few inches..thats what I mean by unlucky. I give Jasper all of the credit in the world for winning but BC was just as good or some could argue better. Bryant has been unlucky his whole career in my opinion. He is an outstanding coach who takes alot of flack in BC.

His luck may change this year......

Ok, plays have not gone his way a few times, but how can you coach if a particular play goes your way or not? You can't.  That's baseball, the game may not always go as you think it should.  What exactly does luck have to do with coaching?  This says best coach, not luckiest coach.

So by these statements you have made, does Bryant have to win a state title to be considered a good coach?

I do not by any means think this myself, just look at what Coach Landry does with all the teams he gets at HF.  They may not have the most superb athletes, but he makes them (and us when I was there) competitive in just about every game.  Now, when you can take what you have, bring them together, and make them a competitive team, that's what defines a good coach.

Buddy Thames at Kingwood Park for leading a bunch of Fish and Sophes to a 9-1 district record with maybe 6 total errors.

Coach Thames is a great coach and Deberry (Huffman) gets the most out of his talent.

I agree.

The results that Thames is getting over at Kingwood Park are pretty impressive.

And DeBerry at Huffman sure seems to get the most out of his players, year in and year out.

Coaching is not about luck, or about getting good/bad breaks.  Coaching is about preparation.  Most coaches will tell you that the easiest part of coaching is during the games on Tuesday and Friday nights.  If you haven't prepared your kids for the situations that they may face, then you are not sure how they will respond.  However, if you've prepared them the way that you should, it unfolds almost the way that you imagined it.  That's why the better teams always try and play "up" during the pre-district season.  That way, you can deal with getting outmanned by better talent early on, and learning to win anyway as the season rolls on.

Errors, bad calls, postponed games, etc.....those things don't work against a coach and make him good or bad at his job.  The truest measure of how good a coach is happens when his ex-players who don't go on to play at the next level still show up at his games and support him.  That's when you know you're a good coach.  Will all of that in mind, now we know why this forum doesn't allow people to jump in and bash coaches.  Everyone likes to blame the coach when they lose, then they give him all of the credit when they win.  It's kinda like playing quarterback - too much blame, AND too much credit.  A great coach doesn't want credit, he wants improvement and accountability from his kids.

I think the best coaches are those at the smaller schools or the schools with out that talent and still get good results year after year. I know these coaches mentioned here are great coaches but when was the last time they had to coach kids on when to tag up or when to run or not to run. My vote is for all those coaches that have to spend tons of time on the basic stuff everyone at these big schools already know.

How about Kyle Green at Vidor. He understands that in order to make your team better, you have to make them feel good about where they play. Have you seen the facilities at Vidor. Does a great job with what he has.

yes how about kyle green . he took over a program that could not win in baseball. in just 3 or 4 years they have made the playoffs last year and may be in them this year. the kids respect him very much and would do anything he ask. and about the field before kyle the field was a cow pasture,now i would say it is one of the best in our district. everything he does is for the kids........ my vote is for kyle green!!!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83