Aaron Grillo – Lum Carlos Ortiz - PNG

Bay Calloway – Ned Luis Galvan - Ozen

Hunter Turk – Ned Luis Ibarra - Ozen

Logan Soares – Ned Josh Bernard- Silsbee

Ben O’Fiel – LCM Daren Stout- Silsbee

Seth Arteaga – LCM Blake Guerra - WOS

Darrell Lawrence – LCM Jake Moses- HJ

Victor Lara – Cen Andres Herrera - Cen

He did, and I also was really suprised he didn't make a team. I think he was by far Silsbee's best player.

He was one of Silsbee's best players last year too, he plays club in Houston, did he just have an off year or something? Because I remember playing against him last year, and he was pretty dang good...

He did, and I also was really suprised he didn't make a team. I think he was by far Silsbee's best player.

He was one of Silsbee's best players last year too, he plays club in Houston, did he just have an off year or something? Because I remember playing against him last year, and he was pretty dang good...

When a team's whole starting lineup makes it, there's not much room for the teams at the lower end of the district.  I'm not trying to take anything away from lumberton, as they were certainly the best team in the district.  That's just a bit extreme to me.  51 players honored, which represents half the starters in the district (absurd), and 29 of those from 3 teams (more absurd).  If you're going to give out that many awards, you need to find a way to represent the bottom half of district as well.  I'd much prefer to see the MVPs, 11 on 1st team, 11 on second team.  Then the absence of players from the lower teams wouldn't look so offensive.

When a team's whole starting lineup makes it, there's not much room for the teams at the lower end of the district.  I'm not trying to take anything away from lumberton, as they were certainly the best team in the district.  That's just a bit extreme to me.  51 players honored, which represents half the starters in the district (absurd), and 29 of those from 3 teams (more absurd).  If you're going to give out that many awards, you need to find a way to represent the bottom half of district as well.  I'd much prefer to see the MVPs, 11 on 1st team, 11 on second team.  Then the absence of players from the lower teams wouldn't look so offensive.

I can understand the way you feel; however, you talk about it being absurd to have 51 named, but do the other teams you talk about have players better than those 51?  I will say I watched every team in the district muliple times, and the bench and quite a few JV players on the top three teams were better than most of the starters on the lower tier teams.  Not only that, but a few of the lower teir teams were beaten by JV teams. 

I can understand the way you feel; however, you talk about it being absurd to have 51 named, but do the other teams you talk about have players better than those 51?  I will say I watched every team in the district muliple times, and the bench and quite a few JV players on the top three teams were better than most of the starters on the lower tier teams.  Not only that, but a few of the lower teir teams were beaten by JV teams. 

I agree with you.  The key word in your statement is "most".  As bad as those lower teams are, there are a few players on them that would not be stretches to put on the 2nd team (Deavers, for example), even if it means Lumberton's 11th best player only gets honorable mention (or LCM or Nederland's 9th best).  My point, basically, is this.  If you're going to dilute the honor by putting 51 players on the team , then you need make sure the lower teams are better represented, at least on the 2nd team.  If each all district team had been only 11 players, I wouldn't say a word if I didn't see an HJ, Silsbee, or WOS player on the list.  As it is, if the district is going to go out of it's way to pat as many kids on the back as it can, it should honor some of the kids who might have succeeded in other squads, but were stuck on bad teams. 

I agree with you.  The key word in your statement is "most".  As bad as those lower teams are, there are a few players on them that would not be stretches to put on the 2nd team (Deavers, for example), even if it means Lumberton's 11th best player only gets honorable mention (or LCM or Nederland's 9th best).  My point, basically, is this.  If you're going to dilute the honor by putting 51 players on the team , then you need make sure the lower teams are better represented, at least on the 2nd team.  If each all district team had been only 11 players, I wouldn't say a word if I didn't see an HJ, Silsbee, or WOS player on the list.  As it is, if the district is going to go out of it's way to pat as many kids on the back as it can, it should honor some of the kids who might have succeeded in other squads, but were stuck on bad teams. 

I agree with you to an extent if the setup was different.  As far as the kid from Silsbee is concerned, I too feel like he should have been nominated.  The fact he wasn't falls on the coach.

im still trying to pick up my jaw off the floor... i have played with deaver for 3 years and for him to not be on the 1st team is absurd...i dont see how ANYONE could not make an all-district team the plays for the texans? first team  :o :o :o :o

Same here Joseph. The coaches sure did a good job this year.

First, congratulations to all the players selected to the All-District team! A special "thank you" to all the coaches in the area for the time and effort you put into coaching the boys this year.

Second, I can understand the argument about 50+ players receiving all-district honors. Eleven for the 1st team and 11 for the 2nd team would be a legitimate number for the honor. I also look at it like this - the area needs to encourage young people to take up and/or continue to play soccer. Maybe the coaches see that the greater good for this sport may come (at least for the foreseeable future) from honoring a few more players, though not all. This, in turn, may encourage more boys to play and/or continue to participate in soccer. Maybe this is a far-fetched explanation, but it may have some merit.

Third, after several weeks of practice and games Matt Deaver ended his participation with the Texans FC team some time this past fall. I believe he did so to concentrate on his tennis game. He is an excellent tennis player!

Last, can someone post the girl's all-district teams?

***********2008 Womens 20-4A All-District Selections****************

Most Valuable Player: Brittany Holmes Senior       Lumberton

Newcomers of the Year: Emily Hughes Freshman       LC-M

Layken Richard Freshman       Nederland

Offensive Player:             Laurie Abbo Senior       Lumberton

Defensive Player:             Hailey Acosta Junior       Vidor

Utility Player:             Brittany Ansel Senior       PN-G

First Team

Jr Alex Mitchell Lumberton

Jr Stephanie Williams Lumberton

Jr Raindi Paine Lumberton

Jr Ashley Norton Lumberton

Jr Kaylee Begeman Lumberton

Sr Chelsea Smith PN-G

Jr Brandi Guidry PN-G

Jr Breanne Martin PN-G

Sr Marisa Elam PN-G

Jr Megan Melancon Nederland

Jr Taylor Carlson Nederland

So Lauren Washburn Nederland

So Mary Maina Silsbee

Fr Tori Waters Silsbee

Sr Wendy Campbell LCM

Sr Ashley Mayeux LCM

Fr Nancy Alvarez HJ

Fr Brianna Tamayo Vidor

Second Team

Jr Meg Johnston Lumberton

So Molly James Lumberton

Jr Ashley Mauer Lumberton

Jr Alexis Smithy PN-G

Fr Natalie Hager PN-G

Jr Chelsea Horn PN-G

So Lindsey Bombek Nederland

Sr Lauren Alphin Nederland

Sr Halie Clark Nederland

So Katie Eldredge Silsbee

So Shea Hart Silsbee

Shayna Sheppard LC-M

Amber Soileau LC-M

Fr Bailey Fontenot HJ

Sr Jennifer Russell HJ

Jr Brandi Whittington Vidor

Sr Kymberli Barrett Ozen

So Esmeralda Sanchez Central

It appears that each school was given a certain number of "slots" based on where they finished.  That can be unfortunate for a great player on a losing team. Especially if there is more than one great player on such a team.  I would hope the coaches would base this award on individual performance. Anyone on the first team should be able to start on any team in the district. 

Secondly,  for anyone to say that someone with Deaver's talent could be on second team in that area is an understatement as well as an insult to his talent and ability.  I have personally trained with him on many occassions; he would start anywhere.  However, maybe his coach chose not to nominate him for this based on some other criteria.  I know coaches who will not nominate players if they miss games during the season, etc.  In his case, I know it was not his attitude.

I know coaches who will not nominate players if they miss games during the season, etc.  In his case, I know it was not his attitude.

If this is the case for Deaver, that's stupid. The only games he missed were because he was out-of-town on Tennis Tourny's.

I know coaches who will not nominate players if they miss games during the season, etc.  In his case, I know it was not his attitude.

If this is the case for Deaver, that's stupid. The only games he missed were because he was out-of-town on Tennis Tourny's.

I'm not saying i agree with this, but could it be that the coach didn't nominate him because he made soccer his 2nd choice, leaving his team for these tourneys?

not hatin' on my old team, but i know i got frustrated playing in silsbee last year and i am pretty sure he probably did too.  so if i was one of the best tennis players in the state i would probably put silsbee soccer as second also...  but with his ability to not even get second team?

I'm not saying i agree with this, but could it be that the coach didn't nominate him because he made soccer his 2nd choice, leaving his team for these tourneys?

It was 3 games. He made all the others. I just don't see why he didn't make 1st team.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder

• He's steadily improving rapidly. Not that your opinion matters much based on some of the wild projections you've made on this site 
    • Cohen……a lying, backstabbing pos who does nothing but lie every time he opens his mouth. Let him utter words the prosecution wants to hear, and we can convict. Cohen told his ex advisor that he wanted to kill himself. What a worldly loss that would be. Let anyone on this board be put through the wringer with false charges and lies like Trump has had to endure, and you would be screaming at the top of your lungs how illegal all of this is.
    • It was and remains perfectly timed and choregraphed Kangaroo Court, whatever Cohen just said or lied about.  Face it, under Soros installed Biden and Merrick Garland, the USA is now officially a Bananna Republic with a Goverment that weaponizes itself against and destroys its political rivals. Putin and Xi are SO proud!  Dang I miss Democracy.       
    • I haven’t been watching closely, but even the liberal sources even tell the story as “the defense really took apart Cohen’s testimony on Thursday.” It sounds like sloppy work from the prosecution to point out a specific call as being “the one,” when it was easily concluded that this particular call could not have occurred the way that Cohen (and the prosecution) claim it to have happened.    The bad news is that I doubt that it matters much-I suspect that most jurors minds were closed before testimony started.   I don’t see Trump leaving with anything less than a conviction based on the venue (NYC).
    • Tough case all the way around.  The guy had a lot of online activity come out where he made racist statements and statements about killing BLM protesters and looters.  So when he then goes out and does it, it looks really bad.  I've seen a lot of videos where people have driven through protestors, defended themselves against them, etc., and didn't bat an eye.  This feels different, but that doesn't necessarily make it murder, either.  His account of the events that happened vs. the witness accounts were both very different, but I'd also expect both sides' accounts to be self-serving and inaccurate to fit their narrative.  Not really sure what to think on this one.  
  • Topics