Lets talk construction plans..

UNLV

When Lamar pulled in +8,000 for the basketball game early this year, there was a parking problem. Every spot was taken at the

Montagne so many parked way across campus. The master plans shows an increase in Parking on the North and South side of the

Montagne/Stadium. However, even that extra parking will not be enough for 10,000 at the Montagne and 30,000 at the football game.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Lamar pulled in +8,000 for the basketball game early this year, there was a parking problem. Every spot was taken at the

Montagne so many parked way across campus. The master plans shows an increase in Parking on the North and South side of the

Montagne/Stadium. However, even that extra parking will not be enough for 10,000 at the Montagne and 30,000 at the football game.

My one-day career as a parking-lot attendant was for the Southern-Prairie View game (infamous band fight) at the Cardinal Stadium.  Cardinal Stadium was relatively full.  We filled up all the lots on that side of MLK, the ones along the other side of MLK, and began filling the lot by what was then McDonald Gym.  Since then, Lamar has added parking for each part of Cardinal Village, and across University Drive.  There won't be parking within close enough walking distance to show up 10 minutes before game starts, but there should be enough parking.

Guest coachacola

What about the softball facility?  ???

The softball facility will be built next to Vincent-Beck in a year or two.  They're about to enlarge the road next to the stadium from 2 lanes to 4 lanes.  More parking and a field house for baseball, softball and soccer will be built there.  The soccer field will be build there too.  Here's the drawings:

2231793382_0e844e9d00.jpg?v=0

Guest coachacola

Eventually I'd like to see a parking garage built next to the Montagne Center.  Right now that's one ugly parking lot, there's no trees or grass, all asphalt with a refinery behind it.  A parking garage would accomplish several things:  (1) add more parking spaces obviously, (2) help hide the refinery, and (3) give them room to add trees and grass around the parking garage, and (4) have a covered walkway from the 2nd level of the garage to the Montagne Center.

I don't see a parking garage for at least 5 years, and probably never unless enrollment increases to near 15,000 at Lamar.  If they do eventually expand Cardinal Stadium then a parking garage would help.

Guest abovetherim

I don't know about all the construction talk but I got a call last week from the AD office because they had something to "show me" and if they let me shared the information with you guys I will. If not, I have to keep my promise. But, just like the money situation "there is a lot more pledged than most people know" and just can't tell you guys on the forum exactly how much that is. If I get the okay for that too I'll share it. Honesty, I want to tell everything I know but I have to be trusted to some degree or I'll never be told anything.

I don't know about all the construction talk but I got a call last week from the AD office because they had something to "show me" and if they let me shared the information with you guys I will. If not, I have to keep my promise. But, just like the money situation "there is a lot more pledged than most people know" and just can't tell you guys on the forum exactly how much that is. If I get the okay for that too I'll share it. Honesty, I want to tell everything I know but I have to be trusted to some degree or I'll never be told anything.

Can you say this, will it solve the parking situation for students and fans going to the football game. I wonder how many fans

will not show up if they had to park near Cardinal Village.

When the stadium is finished, Lamar needs to bring back the PV/Southern game. It was dumb to allow a band to end something good.

Guest abovetherim

Can you say this, will it solve the parking situation for students and fans going to the football game. I wonder how many fans

When the stadium is finished, Lamar needs to bring back the PV/Southern game. It was dumb to allow a band to end something good.

All I was told on a message left on the answering machine was "I would like what I saw." I honestly don't know "what it" is. As for a the money, in a earlier post you mentioned more than $15 million. Well, from what I've been told and saw with my own eyes you are right it is more.

BTW, I'm not joking about this stuff. I know I made some people upset last time and I would not do it again. At least not this soon.  ;D

All I was told on a message left on the answering machine was "I would like what I saw." I honestly don't know "what it" is. As for a the money, in a earlier post you mentioned more that $15 million. Well, from what I've been told and saw with my own eyes you are right it is more.

BTW, I'm not joking about this stuff. I know I made some people upset last time and I would not do it again. At least not this soon.  ;D

Sure sure Above...lol. You will never live that one down.

Agreed.  There were probably 10000 Southern fans there, and 3-4000 Prairie View fans.  Many of the Southern fans made a weekend of it.  It was very good for the area.  Next time, just separate the bands.

Guest tigersvoice

There's a parking problem for students, too.  Parking at Lamar reminds me of my two semesters at A&M.  Whenever I did go to class I couldn't find a parking spot.  So I just never went to class.  Anyway, something needs to be done about the parking, but when are they planning this stadium expansion?  That's at least five years from now.

How did you stay two semesters with your "Never go to class" routine?

Sad to say but the attendance would be greater for PV/Southern than the Lamar games.

NOT IN THE FIRST FEW YEARS.LAMAR FOOTBALL WILL PACK THEM IN.THE CHALLENGE WILL BE IN THE AFTER THAT.IF ITS A WINNING PROGRAM IT WILL BE WELL ATTENDED.

You could be correct on this one. Maybe time has made the community aware how bad we need a college football team for the area.

Guest coachacola

Lamar wasn't "burned" by the Montagne Center.  Maybe the taxpayers of Texas got burned because that who financed it, but it's worked out nicely for Lamar.  But those days are gone so it's harder to get things built, but if the demand is there a parking garage will probably be built sometime in the future.

Guest abovetherim

You just never know what might be the next major construction project on campus and no, the Montagne Center was no mistake. I do think in the next 5-6 years there could be a reduction of seats but a upgrade in the facility. Maybe a private club and suites added for example. New Video Scoreboard, workout facility and practice facility for the men and women's basketball teams with new lockrooms and coaches offices.

If LU got burned with the Montagne Center, why have this event there.

Senior

[applaud] [smite]

2008 Southeast Texas Rounball Classic -April 4,5,& 6th

« on: March 21, 2008, 08:15:24 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Face (2) Face Sports is extending a invitation/challenge to ALL 17U,15U, 12U, & 10U Boy teams to particpate in the "Southeast Texas Roundball Classic". Coaches this is an opportunity for you to showcase the talent and skill set of your players & team. You will be able to compete against top-notch teams and gauge the ability of your team against the top teams in Texas and Louisiana.

What: Southeast Texas Roundball Classic Showcase Tournament

When: April 4, 5, & 6 2008

Where: Beaumont, TX Lamar University

Cost: $275.00

Hosted by Face (2) Face Sports, All 4Sports 7 Beaumont Hoopstars.

Orin Bailey, Jr@  832-347-7474

Easy answer, it is one of the best basketball facilities in the state of Texas.

Montagne gets passed by more than you guys (?) realize. Venues from Houston bypass this area and would rather go to Lafayette and use their facilities. The majority of the time the Montagne is sitting there gathering dust and grease from Mobil Chemicals. Granted, its an excellent place to play ball. You would also think it would have been an excellent recruiting tool. But your top players still run as fast as they can away from it. Whats' missing is a marketing director to fill up the center at least every 3 months. Ooops! But I forgot, you have that other building on I-10 thats taking business away from the Montagne Center.

Guest coachacola

I never understood why Lamar hardly hosts events at the Montagne Center.  They did have a concert their last year by some hard rock bank, but that's about all I've heard about.  Here in Austin the Erwin Center is always being used for concerts, the Austin Wranglers of the AFL, along with all of UT's events there.  Seems like a good source for Lamar, but Beaumont in general has always had a problem getting events (see Ford Park)!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin