Lets talk construction plans..

UNLV

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford Park was a mistake made by the county.  I know Simmons and Tubbs are a lot smarter than that and will not even consider a stadium out there.  And unless some billionaire gives Lamar $50+ million they won't have the money for a new stadium anyways.  Sharing a stadium with BISD is also a bad idea, unless Lamar wants to play in a high school stadium.

Call me crazy but I like Cardinal Stadium, even with a refinery behind it.  With the right renovations to the stadium, and to the whole area around it, and Lamar will have a great football environment.

OK, I'll call you crazy.  For starters, it's an outdoor stadium...why have it right on top of the refinery???  Second, we don't have enough parking over there.  If we draw more than 5,000 for basketball you have to start parking across MLK.  Third, where is everyone going to park if we actually want to try and draw 10-15,000 for a football game???

Ford Park was a mistake made by the county.  I know Simmons and Tubbs are a lot smarter than that and will not even consider a stadium out there.  And unless some billionaire gives Lamar $50+ million they won't have the money for a new stadium anyways.  Sharing a stadium with BISD is also a bad idea, unless Lamar wants to play in a high school stadium.

Call me crazy but I like Cardinal Stadium, even with a refinery behind it.  With the right renovations to the stadium, and to the whole area around it, and Lamar will have a great football environment.

OK, I'll call you crazy.  For starters, it's an outdoor stadium...why have it right on top of the refinery???  Second, we don't have enough parking over there.  If we draw more than 5,000 for basketball you have to start parking across MLK.  Third, where is everyone going to park if we actually want to try and draw 10-15,000 for a football game???

Exactly....

Guest coachacola

We all know how much SETX loves Ford Park so if Lamar plays their football games their in a high school stadium they'll share with BISD then I'll sure they'll sellout all their games!!  ::)

i dont understand why everyone keeps complaining about the refineries.  if u lived here all or most of your life, where can u go in this area and not see or smell a refinery?  it's just part of life on the gulf coast.  i think cardinal stadium has potential to be a very nice stadium for football with turf and new consessions and restrooms.  i have always liked stadiums that have a sunk-in field to give it that "bowl" look, and cardinal stadium has that.  with the montagne center to the north and a hopefully a large field house to the south with maybe a large scoreboard and tv monitor for replays, i think it will look better.   i would love to have a new stadium too, but i don't think its going to happen.   

Some of you may ask, "why is this North Texas guy interested in what Lamar does"?  Why doesn't he take a hike?

I happen to like college football.  When Lamar begins selling season tickets, I will buy them to support LU's football program.

That being said, Lamar should makeover Cardinal Stadium.  Like a previous poster mentioned, the current LU stadium is below ground level, great for the bowl effect.  Put your money in a new pressbox, field turf, jumbotron, and a new athletic center where the present one sits at the south end zone.  Eventually, close the bowl in on one end.  I firmly believe that Lamar has the leadership and alumni base to cultivate some large money donors to athletics.  LU will have plenty of money to make the necessary changes/upgrades.

As to the parking, if you start filling the stadium for football games, you will have a problem.  So what?  Do like most colleges do in those situations- bus the fans from on campus lots and tailgating areas over to the stadium.  Surely some of you have attended a game at A & M's Kyle field.  Do you really think they have enough spaces around the stadium area for 80,000+ fans' autos?  Heck no.  They bus the fans from the parade field parking areas and parking lots from all over campus.  Parking should not be a concern at Lamar and it should not be the reason to build a brand new stadium at (gasp!), Ford Park.

Regarding a new athletic center, if you want to attract the top recruits in and out of the area, build a top notch athletic center.  Lounges, study rooms, flat panel TV's, trophy room, amineties that will get the attention of quality student athletes.  Lamar is next to refineries, always has been, always will be.  Lamar has to negate the refinery effect.

Guest tigersvoice

Regarding a new athletic center, if you want to attract the top recruits in and out of the area, build a top notch athletic center.  Lounges, study rooms, flat panel TV's, trophy room, amineties that will get the attention of quality student athletes.  Lamar is next to refineries, always has been, always will be.  Lamar has to negate the refinery effect.

As your history will point out, Beaumont was founded and built on the petroleum industry.  The industry and the refinery has provided good living standards for many, many families in this area since the early 1900's.  Who knows what this area would have been without the oil discovery and the developement - refinery - that followed.  Now people use the word "Refinery" like a dirty word.  My, how things change.  I don't live in Beaumont now but did for many years.  The refinery never bothered me.  That's because I came to Lamar in 1955 to try to play football.  The refinery was not the problem - but the sulphur plant (then, but since closed) darned near choked all of us to death. :(

As your history will point out, Beaumont was founded and built on the petroleum industry.  The industry and the refinery has provided good living standards for many, many families in this area since the early 1900's.  Who knows what this area would have been without the oil discovery and the developement - refinery - that followed.  Now people use the word "Refinery" like a dirty word.  My, how things change.  I don't live in Beaumont now but did for many years.  The refinery never bothered me.  That's because I came to Lamar in 1955 to try to play football.  The refinery was not the problem - but the sulphur plant (then, but since closed) darned near choked all of us to death. :(

Sorry Tiger, I can be such a perfectionist at times. Beaumont was founded in 1838, 63 years before oil.

Guest tigersvoice

Sorry Tiger, I can be such a perfectionist at times. Beaumont was founded in 1838, 63 years before oil.

And what growth and prospects did the area have for the period 1838 until the Spindletop discovery?  And, what exactly is a perfectionist?

And what growth and prospects did the area have for the period 1838 until the Spindletop discovery?  And, what exactly is a perfectionist?

Lumber mill town. If not for oil, a mega lumber mill would be next to Cardinal stadium.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ProfessorMandela12
    Newest Member
    ProfessorMandela12