*OF vs. Jasper/JASPER WINS 72-60/COMMENTS*

Orangefield had Kellen Free and Derrick Evans out, they didnt even suit up, and Jeremy Granger had bronchitis i was told.  You could tell something was wrong with him throughout the game, he just didnt have his normal energy. He still had around 12-14 pts, it was a good effort from him being under the weather.  Evans was missed, he was kind of the 6th man on the team who plays a decent amount of minutes. Free doesnt play that much though.  On to the game...I've seen a lot of Orangefield games this year and i can tell you that was by far the best shooting night any team has had against them all season, not even close.  Jasper made every single open shot in the first half, it was uncanny how many shots they made, it was just their night.  Their post man even banked in a 3, which got some chuckles from the Jasper crowd.  They had 6 3-pointers at half if that gives you any idea just hot they were(Bailey made a 3 pter to end the half also).  They were up 12 at half and Orangefield tried to make a few runs in the 2nd half on them but every time they'd answer right back.  That lead Jasper built in the first half i thought was the difference in the game, besides the hot shooting.  Give full credit to Jasper, they played a great game, i was impressed with their team.  Bailey is a very good player, maybe the best i've seen this year.  He has to be one of the top 2-3 players in the district, he made so many shots with a guy in his face and had a quick release.  And he just seems like he knows how to play the game, and he seems like hes always in total control.  As impressed with Jasper being the first time to see them play, i gotta think thats one of the better games theyve played this year, especially shooting wise.  As a fan, I'm still confident OF can beat them at their place.  Dont count OF out, they still get Silsbee at home, who they lost by 2 at their place, and can win that game at Jasper.  It will definitely be an interesting 2nd half of district...

...  Bailey is a very good player, maybe the best i've seen this year.  He has to be one of the top 2-3 players in the district, he made so many shots with a guy in his face and had a quick release.  And he just seems like he knows how to play the game, and he seems like hes always in total control. 

.....Dont count OF out, they still get Silsbee at home, who they lost by 2 at their place, and can win that game at Jasper.  It will definitely be an interesting 2nd half of district...

Yes, the race for a playoff spot is far from over.  I expect to see a big upset somewhere along the line.

You know the amazing thing about Bailey is that he is just a sophmore.  This is at least the second post I have seen from another school praising Bailey.  I think someone from WOS echoed your comment about his being the best.  WOS should think so, he scored 37 points on them.

I have yet to see him play basketball, but I plan to before the season is out.  His future appears to be without limit.  He surely changes the equation on the football field.

There's no doubt Bailey is a fine athlete. I wasn't too impressed with his basketball game against my Tigers. Silsbee really gave him fits, Bailey only scored 4 points in the first half. He did finish with 18 but most of those came in trash time after Silsbee had built a 25 point lead. He is very quick though, but didn't seem to shoot it very well against Silsbee.

What did impress me about him was how small he is. He can't be more than '5"6-'5"7 and 150-155 pounds. He plays MUCH BIGGER than that on the football field, my Tigers can attest to that.

Jasper downs Orangefield in vital 21-3A bout

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — The Jasper Bulldogs could not have started any hotter and the Orangefield Bobcats could not have started out any slower Friday night in Bobcat Gym.

It seemed like the Bulldogs never missed in the first half as the visitors walked away with a 72-60 victory over the Bobcats as Jasper took control of third place of District 21-3A.

Jasper sophomore Dominque Bailey’s 21 points led all players as the Bulldogs are now 10-10 on the year and more importantly 5-2 in the district race.

Orangefield, who was led by sophomore Zach Hayes and his 19 points, is now 16-7 on the season and 4-3 in the district loop.

Hardin-Jefferson remained the front-runner in the district after a 81-40 win Friday over Hamshire-Fannett. Silsbee remained in second with a 10-2-53 win over Bridge City.

The Bobcats went on a 6-0 run to close the third quarter after trailing 46-36.

Orangefield’s Garrett Granger grabbed a rebound with just seconds left before entering the fourth and hit a buzzer-beater as the Bobcats trailed 46-42.

Jeremy Granger, who had 14 points and six rebounds, then made it a two-score game at 46-44 with a bucket to open the game’s final eight minutes.

That is when it seemed Jasper had seen enough.

After a Roderick Kyles bucket, Bailey turned two consecutive steals into two lay-ups as Jasper went on top 52-44. Kyles added 13 points in the win.

The Bobcats then turned the ball over for the fourth straight time and Aaron Garrett made them pay with another jumper.

Orangefield could only pull to within six points the rest of the way and the Bobcats trailed 63-57.

Jasper then went on a 6-0 run to take a 70-57 advantage.

“Every time we would make a run they had an answer,†Orangefield Coach Rea Wrinkle said. “It always seemed it was a three-pointer off the glass or a shot with one of our defenders with a hand in the shooters face. The rest of the season is going to test what kind of team we are. We have to win the first four before taking on those top three teams to finish the year.â€

The Bobcats travel to Kirbyville and Bridge City next week before playing host to Hamshire-Fannett and traveling to West Orange-Stark.

Orangefield finishes the year with home games against H-J and Silsbee before hitting the road to face the Bulldogs.

Even with Jasper’s hot shooting in the first half the Bobcats found ways to keep the game close.

The Bulldogs led 15-11 after the first period as Hayes and Tyler Angelle, who had 12 points on the night, had all 11 of Orangefield’s points.

Jasper got really hot in the second when it outscored Orangefield 20-12 behind four three-pointers, two coming from Bailey.

Kwame Spikes, who had 17 points in the win, had eight points in the second.

Jasper hit six three-pointers in the first half as the Bulldogs took a 35-23 lead into half-time.

“They were so hot in the first half,†Wrinkle said. “They are a good team and they are well-coached.â€

The Bobcats then outscored the Bulldogs 19-11 in the third to close the gap.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33