10 run rule?

i think so... soccer is one of those games where it's not too difficult to keep from scoring without making the other team feel like crap.  i think the key is to get your starters out very early when you know you're going to pound someone.  go up 3-4 to 0, then get your bench in.  this way your subs will not only get some playing time, but get the chance to do some scoring without making you look bad. 

True story:

My first year coaching soccer, I started up the program at Ozen.  I didn't know what tournaments were available so I called Coach Lopez at Nederland to see if he had any suggestions.  He said come to his tournament.  His JV was in it.  It'd be fine...  First day (my first ever game as a varsity coach at the tender age of 25) we somehow get to play Nederland's varsity.  Final score: NHS - 17  Ozen - no shots on goal.  A wonderful experience for a first-time coach.  Thanks, Jorge.

The Langham Creek girls beat Channelview 18-0 last week, too.

True story:

My first year coaching soccer, I started up the program at Ozen.  I didn't know what tournaments were available so I called Coach Lopez at Nederland to see if he had any suggestions.  He said come to his tournament.  His JV was in it.  It'd be fine...  First day (my first ever game as a varsity coach at the tender age of 25) we somehow get to play Nederland's varsity.  Final score: NHS - 17  Ozen - no shots on goal.  A wonderful experience for a first-time coach.  Thanks, Jorge.

The Langham Creek girls beat Channelview 18-0 last week, too.

OUCH!

Everyone hates a spanking, but we all get one from time to time...helps keep us humble & makes us play harder.

this is district play after all & everyone should be here to compete.

i like a juice box & orange slice just as much as the next guy, but let's save all of the touchy feely stuff for rec ball

Everyone hates a spanking, but we all get one from time to time...helps keep us humble & makes us play harder.

i like a juice box & orange slice just as much as the next guy, but let's save all of the touchy feely stuff for rec ball

Disappointing response here.  I don't care if it's district or not, you don't go out and embarrass another team.  Some people ::)

So if someone serves up a piece of humble pie on your team.. and didnt need to.  You have sick players or injured players and the other team just keeps going and runs up the score.  Is it then all about competioin.  What usually happens is the team getting beaten down usualy gets a bit angry and starts trying to release frustration with bad play and gets someone hurts.  If you can you should pull off the dogs... thats the reason most tie breakers that are point differences are for first three goals not all you can score. 

This is ridiculous.  In our district, there are 3 or 4 teams at the top, and 3 or 4 at the bottom, and very little ground in between.  Teams like HJ, WOS, and Ozen have struggled over the past few years.  Do you mean to to tell me they should take 8-10 "spankings" a year so that the big schools can "compete"?  For most of my life i've played on very competitive teams, but i'll tell you, there's a big difference in losing a game 6-0 instead of 10-0.  For struggling teams like these, it's important that opposing coaches do their best to keep the score reasonable, so that these kids do not get discouraged and quit.  All that said, you sound like maybe your husband coaches for a team who doesn't have to eat from the humble pie too often.  If you were on the losing end of a few of these spankings in a row, you might change your tune. 

so should the bench be kept from scoring?  i guess i am just not getting this whole "low score mentality" thing (on another thread)   

no, that's why i suggest getting your bench into the game before the score is already out of hand... if you know you're going to beat a team badly, don't wait until the score is 8-0 to put your bench in.  do it early so that they can score a few without the team being accused of running up the score.

Here is one coaches point of view...It is a district game.  The whole point of playing district games is to see who the best teams are and for those teams to get ready for the playoffs.  As a coach I am much more concerned about my teams chemistry, playing style and mental state than the other team.  In fact that is the other coaches job.  I am absolutely in favor of promoting the game and I do think it is bad form to run the score up.  But, I have played and coached at mutliple levels and have given and TAKEN my share of lopsided victories.  When my team lost, we took it as a loss.  We congratulated the other team and did our best to learn from them and from our mistakes.  I do not agree that a 7-0 loss is better or worse than a 10-0 loss.  Infact when I played (long time ago) select ball we faced a team that scored 7+ goals on us and then they played keep away for 20 minutes.  We looked stupid running around not even touching the ball so we just quit.  As a player on the loosing team I would have rather stacked our defense in the back and have them keep attacking than them just playing keep away.  And guess what???  I survived and love the game now more than ever.  And that was just one of many, many, many defeats I have been involved in.

I would rather lose to a great team 10-0 who wins with class, plays hard, and wants you to play hard back rather than a team who wins 5-0 and patronizes you the whole game by playing less than their best. 

What about teams with back to back games that are against weaker opponents?  Should a coach keep his starters out and expect his team to be firing on all eight cylinders when they play a much tougher opponent? 

I'm tired of this coming up every year it's the same old discussion, One side thinks "Oh no we shouldn't run the score up because we might hurt someone's feelings and make them quit" well wake up, this isn't rec ball  it's high school which is very competitive. People who quit because their team got destroyed don't belong in the game anyway. If you really have a love for soccer  then you will play through the bad times. Momentum is a very powerful thing, teams shouldn't have to stop their momentum or limit it just because one team is weaker. Running the score up in no way "kills" the game and if you believe it does you need to get a new outlook.

There should be a goal rule just like there is a run rule in high school baseball. Since there isn't one, coaches should have the class to self impose one. Double digit victories do not serve any purpose. The prevailing team is more likely to develop lazy, sloppy habits than to accomplish anything positive. Sharkfutbol is correct. The losing team is just as likely to become angrier and rougher. Its not like a red card is going to change the season outcome for one of these teams. Good soccer players hate this kind of boring, uncompetitive game. If you want to slow down the game, take your worst offensive player, even if it a goalie, put them forward and impose a rule that they are the only one who can shoot. I don't think winning with class in a mismatch makes anybody touchy, feely.

I'm tired of this coming up every year it's the same old discussion, One side thinks "Oh no we shouldn't run the score up because we might hurt someone's feelings and make them quit" well wake up, this isn't rec ball  it's high school which is very competitive. People who quit because their team got destroyed don't belong in the game anyway. If you really have a love for soccer  then you will play through the bad times. Momentum is a very powerful thing, teams shouldn't have to stop their momentum or limit it just because one team is weaker. Running the score up in no way "kills" the game and if you believe it does you need to get a new outlook.

LCMFreak

What are you saying?  That you should leave your starters in when the score is 6-0 so you can keep momentum?  I would think with your school's athletic history, you would have some sympathy for the underdog. ;D

why, because our outlook doesn't coincide with yours?  there are a bunch of arguments for and against running up the score.  i will say, in response to Newcastle, that as a player, it's more beneficial to work on your passing against a bad team than scoring easy one on one breakaways every 5 minutes.  Westend is right... your team is going to gain very little by pounding a bad team.  Everything comes easy, and the players don't have to work very hard to succeed, so what do they get, finishing practice?  If you get your subs in early, they get playing time and experience.  Your star doesn't need to score two hat tricks against somebody just because he can.  Against easy competition my coach used to pull me out as soon as i got a hat trick, and if i couldn't get one in the first half of a game we were winning 4 or 5 to nil, then i wasn't going to get one.  At the time, it used to make me mad, but now i understand where he was coming from.  Why break the spirit of a team who loses almost every game anyway?  You don't need to win by 12 to show that you're the best team, and you don't need to score 12 to have a successful game.  Be respectful of your opponents.

I agree with both sides of this so I offer a middle ground so any feedback is appreciative, because I mean there has to be at least two centuries of soccer experience on here. Here's my proposition: Why not set criteria for the players, I mean if a team is so good that it's going to dominate its opposition then it shouldn't have problem with setting certain criteria for scoring, say maybe only headers or left footers outside of the box, I mean wouldn't that improve your teams skill as a whole, and it might teach a team how to attack several ways without completely destroying or humiliating a team. So in y'alls opinion would that be a sensible compromise?

tonight nederland beats west orange 13-0 ... after taking the starters out just a couple of minutes into the game.....  west orange shows up with eight players supposedly to play....  was nederland guilty .. NO... having seven players show up for a game that you load up a bus and travel over for is ridiculous.. they deserve 20 goals... for making a team come and play that game... 

i think so... soccer is one of those games where it's not too difficult to keep from scoring without making the other team feel like crap.  i think the key is to get your starters out very early when you know you're going to pound someone.  go up 3-4 to 0, then get your bench in.  this way your subs will not only get some playing time, but get the chance to do some scoring without making you look bad.   

its true WOS had 9 eligable players. one of those was out for an injury, another was sick. They played with 7 players on the field. I happen to be one of those players. We new that wen our coash said 7 players, we were done, but we still played. I will have to thank the Nederland coach though. After he secured the win he made the game 7 on 7. they didnt run up the score, they just had us.

I know that when I play, and my team is getting beat say 5-0 or worse, I guess I know that its out of hand, and thats when I just started to have fun... I would still play hard, but find the fun in it... Thats what the game is all about, having FUN... When you're in a tough game that means alot, you forget how important it is just to relax and enjoy it as much as possible...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86

• Not yet, anyway. If you can't see that there has been a strong effort to create gender dysphoria amongst young folks AND try to keep it from parents in many instances, you're not paying attention. You may not care about this, but it's ridiculous to ridicule those that do. There is an agenda behind this, no doubt about it, like bullets pointed out earlier, it's just a name change...for now.
    • Bullard 10  LCM - 4  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • I’ve stated over and over that I don’t think that the hush money trial has merit. I also don’t think that the fraud/appraisals case in NYC had merit, either. I think that the evidence in the Election Tampering case down in Georgia is pretty damning, and the case about mishandling documents down in Florida is a real problem for Trump… because that’s what intelligent people do-look at the facts make sound decisions not based on their pwecious feewings.  You know, just saying “Bah! It’s all a bunch of lies because I love him!” Or “of course he did it! I hate him.” But thought processes are something most people are incapable of. They only manage to scroll social media for posts that validate their own opinions and them off as truth or fact when they are just outright lies… but they make the re-poster feel good inside so he believes them without question.    Every time I soundly refute the  idea that trump was good for the economy, y’all yell “but COVID!” His tax cuts provided a short term bubble in the economy by way of an exploding deficit and debt that our grandkids will still be paying interest upon 50 years from now even prior to COVID.  It’s like when Mama takes over the family finances, maxes out all of the credit cards and drives the family into bankruptcy.  Y’all would be the spoiled brat, immature and stupid children that spout off “things were so much better when Mom was handling the finances! We had everything we wanted! Put her back in charge!” Anybody that says “Trump was good for the economy” is just letting they world known that they don’t understand micro/macro economics or the effects of rising interest rates have on a debt the size of ours.    What none of you seem to realize is that the problems were facing today (interest rates and inflation) would be occurring even if Trump were in office because his fiscal policies are more flawed than either conservatives or liberals.    Libs: we should raise taxes on the rich and spend more! Conservatives: We should cut taxes on everybody but cut spending!   Trump: We’re gonna cut taxes and spend more!    It’s a recipe for pure disaster. He’s literally the guy who says “we’re gonna buy high, sell low, and make it up in volume!”    
    • The problem our buddy @CardinalBacker has is that the Dems have been cheating Trump since before his inauguration.  There's 4 cheats going on right now against a private citizen.  But yet he wants us to believe that the 2020 election was squeaky clean.  No cheating what so ever.  That a brain dead individual got 81 million votes.  But the other guy that was supposed to be so bad got 74 million, the most any President ever got for reelection.  Evil people don't turn on and off their evil cheating ways.  
  • Topics