Ronnie Anglin        8pts, 4 steals. 7 assists, 2 rebounds

Dalton Estes        8pts, 1 block, 1 steal, 2 assists, 14 rebounds

Seth Williams        2pts, 1 block, 5 rebounds

Keeton Addison    2pts, 1 block

Howard Stansbury 1 block, 4 rebounds 

Both teams have improved since their first meeting

An exciting game to watch.  Both teams played well

Guest orangeman

Alright Coop... here is my official nomination for Tyler Copeland for Player of the Week.

Stats from this weekend's Spurger Tourn.

vs. Warren - 33 pts & 14 rebs

vs. Jasper JV - 28 pts & 7 rebs

vs. Deweyville - 29 pts & 14 rebs

That's an average of 30 pts and 12 rebs a game.

Good effort by the entire Oiler team and coaching staff. They showed much improvement this weekend.

Some refs with experience, training and fairness is what needed.  In the game following Warrens,  the Logansport coach did much worse but was never given a tech, much less ejected.  You can tell by their mechanics these refs were lost.

Warren    11  20  31  54

Spurger      8  23  40  50

Sims  19,  Andrews  13,  Swinney  10

Look like the coaches from warren,need to watch what they say.What do you think. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think they should have said it sooner.Spurger shot over 20 free throws in the first half and Warren shot 0.I have never seen a half of basketball officiated that poorly.I was proud of the Warren kids they were down by double digits when the coaches got the thumb and really pulled together.I 've seen these kids play with 4 players and almost beat Brookeland and now beat a good Spurger club without a coach.One thing I've learned about them is there isn't any quit in them.Good job guys,you deserved this one.

Phillip Whittaker had 22 in this one and really played well,George Whittaker also stepped up and played a good ballgame.The Sheffield kid,who is one of Spurgers best, just didn't put it up tonight.When he and Blankenship shoot the 3 Spurger is hard to beat.Best of luck to the Pirates the rest of the way.

I think they should have said it sooner.Spurger shot over 20 free throws in the first half and Warren shot 0.I have never seen a half of basketball officiated that poorly.I was proud of the Warren kids they were down by double digits when the coaches got the thumb and really pulled together.I 've seen these kids play with 4 players and almost beat Brookeland and now beat a good Spurger club without a coach.One thing I've learned about them is there isn't any quit in them.Good job guys,you deserved this one.

I was at the game tonight.  It was obviously a very intriguing game to watch.  Both coaches for Warren were ejected midway through the 3rd quarter so the players had to play and make their own substitutions without a coach.  They did have to coach themselves, one player got their 4th foul in the 3rd quarter and they took him out.  They still ran plays on offense too...  Sims seemed to be the team captain or coach out on the court, whether it was huddling the team together or keeping the players cool after a foul was called on them.  I came to the game as a casual observer just wanting to watch a good game.  With the way the game was being called against Warren i found myself rooting for Warren in the 2nd half.  The fouls were about 2-1 against Warren for the game it seemed, yet Spurger was the more physical team on the defensive end, which doesnt make any sense.  Thats probably why Warrens coach was so frustrated watching the game and got ejected.  A lot of coaches in that situation wouldve probably gotten ejected, or at least a technical.  The 2 games i've watched Warren play they were under a lot of adversity.  The first game finishing with 4 players and nearly beating Brookeland and the 2nd game tonight playing without a coach most of the 2nd half and coming back to win.  I'll agree with whsalum, this team plays well with adversity, i've seen it firsthand.  They were down around 10 pts without a coach at one point in the 2nd half and still came back to win.  Hats off to Warren, they have a good team and i'll be rooting for them to slip in the playoffs in a tough 2A district.  It was nice meeting some guys from the board, i got to meet whsalum, warfan, and bucketsitr tonight, they were all very friendly and i enjoyed talking to them.

Spurger played a good game.  I like the players and coach, they should do real well in district.  The Warren and Spurger boys know each other and are mostly friends.  It was a real shame the officials got in the way of a great game between friends and neighbors.  It was good to talk with beeninnikes, I'm sure we cross paths again.  The adversity that Warren seems to have to play with has been with us forever,  these young men will be great citizens with mucho character after basketball is over.  Special thanks to Coach Carter and Coach Hand.

Congrats Warren, very good comment on these young men to step up without their Coach and still win, awesome.

Did an administrator take over for the coaches?

Thats my question too.  Im suprised this hadnt been asked earlier.  Pretty positive UIL rules state a coach or school employee must be present for any and all UIL events.  Thought game had to be forfeited if none were present.

Did an administrator take over for the coaches?

The high school principal was there and assumed that position but the officials would not let him on the bench.He had to sit in the row directly behind the bench.Not sure why but that's where they put him.He is a great baseball guy but was just a spectator as far as this game went.He was an administrator however so the game was legit.

There was a coach sitting at the scorers table next to the bench doing Warrens' books.  The High School Principal was behind the bench. NO UIL problems. However,  the boys did all the adjustments, subs and plays on their own, and obviously did it very well.  Probably a future coach or two on this team. 

Surely not the turnout that Spurger wanted for their own tournament.  These boys are still a great team, they had two extremely close losses with two great teams (Brookeland by 2 & Warren by 4).  Outside shooting wasn't their and free throws could have changed either of these games.

All respect for Paul Sims, great player, coach, team leader.  The Warrior team showed lots of heart and in the end pulled out w/ the win.  Great job!

I think that 4 of the teams @ this tournament playing @ their best are a pretty good match up w/ one another.

Spurger now 14-5, 2-0 district.  They will be going to Brookeland Monday, 12-31 @ 12 & then Friday, 1-4 to Hardin.  The next few games will be real competitive for them.  Hope they can keep their heads up and play ball like I know they can.

Logansport, wow, what would this teams classification be considered in Texas?

Tyler Copeland, great job, & the oilers are looking better.

Caleb Jackson, great job, also.  Bland seems to be not ready to come back yet.  Either he's still hurt or he's scarred of re-injury. Hope the best for him, but didn't seem to be himself in the tournament.  #5 was the only starter I seen missing this tournament.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder