21-3A... the district now and the next week- 2 burning questions

bobcatfan

After 1 week and 2 games of district play, here is how the district looks so far, the scores, and my thoughts on some of the scores

Hardin-Jefferson Hawks  2-0

beat WOS 60-32, beat Kville 80-52

Neither of these scores surprise me, HJ won both convincingly

Silsbee Tigers  2-0

beat HF 99-48, beat WOS 77-49

2 impressive wins by Silsbee, what you'd expect from them

Orangefield Bobcats  2-0

beat Kville 76-53, beat BC 64-29

didnt know how good Kville was so didnt know about that score, but after BC almost beat Jasper, a 35 pt victory against BC was eye opening.

Jasper Bulldogs  2-0

beat BC 64-61, beat HF 89-48

dominant win over HF but no surprise, almost lost to BC which is surprising since they got

West Orange-Stark Mustangs  0-2

lost to HJ 60-32,  lost to Silsbee 77-49

losses to HJ and Silsbee is no surprise, although i thought the games might be slightly more competitive. WOS hard to get a read on yet since they played probably the 2 best teams in district.

Bridge City Cardinals  0-2

lost to Jasper 64-61, lost to OF 64-29

played Jasper closer than i thought, but got beat worse than i thought against OF

Kirbyville Wildcats 0-2

lost to OF 76-53, lost to HJ 80-52

didnt know about them, but i guess i'm not gonna expect much

Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns  0-2

lost to Silsbee 99-48, lost to Jasper 89-48

dont expect much from them this season

Biggest week 2 games (jan 4, 8)

1. Jan 8- WOS @ OF- this could determine the 3rd playoff spot, huge game for both teams

2. Jan 4- Jasper @ WOS- once again, this could determine the 3rd playoff spot, huge game for both teams

3. Jan 4- Silsbee @ HJ- both teams likely going to make playoffs, this game could easily decide the district championship though

Here are my 2 burning questions for everyone about this district

1. Is Silsbee in the same class as HJ(and can they beat them)?

my answer:  I think Silsbee and HJ are in the upper echelon of the district, i would rank HJ a notch above Silsbee though....I think Silsbee is easily capable of beating HJ, but i would also say Silsbee is more likely to be beaten by the next tier of teams than HJ is.

2.  Who will get the 3rd playoff spot in this tough district?

my answer:  I think it comes down to 3 teams- Orangefield, WOS, and Jasper.  These teams are pretty close and i could see any of them getting in but based on the scores i've seen i would give the slight edge to Orangefield and heres why.  Orangefield nearly beat Silsbee and beat BC convincingly while Jasper nearly got beat by BC tuesday.  WOS has lost to Nederland and PNG by 20 while Orangefield has beaten both of those teams.  So on paper Orangefield has been more impressive but we have to let the games play out.

What are yalls thoughts on how the district has gone?  How do yall see it playing out?

Regarding the three teams you have that will battle it out for 3rd, they all will lose to HJ and Silsbee. Therefore it will be how they play each other as to who grabs that 3rd spot. I have seen WOS play a couple of times this year, to me they are not a playoff caliber team. I believe it will come down to Orangefield and Jasper. I think they will split home and home which will put an emphasis on there games with WOS. If both teams beat WOS each time, I see a playoff game between the Bobcats and the Bulldogs to determine the 3rd spot. Right now, I give Orangefield the edge.

As for HJ and Silsbee, I'll comment on them at another time. ;D

I believe Jasper/Orangefield could battle it out, but I don't think it will be easy for either team at WOS because of their speed, athleticism and good rebounding. I do believe there are teams in the district that despite their records, they are capable of  upsetting one of the top two teams at home. I wouldn't put much stock in Orangefield's close loss to Silsbee earlier this year or Jasper's narrow win at BC. I think if the Jasper team could suprise one of the top two teams if they just  get it together and keep it together for 32minutes. I like how the Orangefield team is coming along and their confindence seems sky hihgh. It could be interesting indeed.

As they all say HJ and Silsbee will be the two top teams in district who already got the two top spot on the playoff list. Jasper-I don't really know what to say about them because I haven't seen them play this year yet. Although I hear they almost lost to a mediocre team BC but then blew HF out prett good. They will be fighting for that 3rd playoff spot though. WO-S they lost too much (from last year) and inexperience to me. They got #13 and #23 and they work their inside paint game pretty good. O-Field on the other hand has some experience players back and got some good shooters plus theirdefense really work for them. I would say

1.Silsbee/HJ

2.HJ/Silsbee

3.O-field

O-Field will win at home agaisnt Jasper and WO-S. But lose to both team away.

Jasper will win at home against both team and beat WO-S at their place.

WO-S will win at home agaisnt O-Field but lose to Jasper at home and lose to both away.

As they all say HJ and Silsbee will be the two top teams in district who already got the two top spot on the playoff list. Jasper-I don't really know what to say about them because I haven't seen them play this year yet. Although I hear they almost lost to a mediocre team BC but then blew HF out prett good. They will be fighting for that 3rd playoff spot though. WO-S they lost too much (from last year) and inexperience to me. They got #13 and #23 and they work their inside paint game pretty good. O-Field on the other hand has some experience players back and got some good shooters plus theirdefense really work for them. I would say

1.Silsbee/HJ

2.HJ/Silsbee

3.O-field

O-Field will win at home agaisnt Jasper and WO-S. But lose to both team away.

Jasper will win at home against both team and beat WO-S at their place.

WO-S will win at home agaisnt O-Field but lose to Jasper at home and lose to both away.

With the scenario you have posted, that would put Jasper in the 3rd spot, not Orangefield like you have posted.

Anything can happen on any given night in high school basketball but if all the district teams play up to there potential HJ will win it.Silsbee will be second and Jasper third.Orangefield will be well coached and play disciplined basketball but Jasper should pull it out with the athletes they have.Then again this is high school basketball and emotions will play a huge part in it.Thats why it's so much fun to watch.

it's a little early to start this type of speculation.  let's re-examine things when we're halfway through district.  one thing i will say... silsbee is the only team that can beat HJ this year, unless HJ plays their worst game in two years against one of the other teams.  as for third place, there hasn't been enough head-to-head between the teams that will be fighting it out.  Once we start seeing some of the results from those games, it may be a little easier to call. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder