Multi-Sport Athletes

32 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

Strength, flexibility and range of motion SHOULD be mandatory in EVERY lifting program.

However, we all know that is not the case.

Pitchers should definitely be on a different regiment than other athletes. Arm care is serious business.

Too many football coaches fail other sports because they simply do not care.

There are ways to build strength and power and explosiveness that do not compromise the baseball players ability to throw or the basketball players ability to shoot. Unfortunately, too many football coaches are too lazy to find those alternative options. 

Great post . This is from someone who understands.

8 minutes ago, outanup said:

The battle over multi sport athletes has been fought forever.....This didn't  start 3 weeks ago. Football is one of the few sports that is not played year round. It simply cannot be, too physical and taxing. It requires an offseason of strength training, and conditioning to prepare for a10 to 15 game grind. Coach Rich is installing everything from scratch. A whole new Offense and Defense, from cadence to cleats. And football starts in August. Any AD worth his salt would push his agenda......And as for the social media assault, what's the reason for that? Ill wait........hmmmmmmmmm

Ohhhh I know!!!!  For the social media poster to come out and post what was posted... the kid is one that he will be able to add to his resume.  Especially is the kid has D1 talent. 

7 minutes ago, outanup said:

The battle over multi sport athletes has been fought forever.....This didn't  start 3 weeks ago. Football is one of the few sports that is not played year round. It simply cannot be, too physical and taxing. It requires an offseason of strength training, and conditioning to prepare for a10 to 15 game grind. Coach Rich is installing everything from scratch. A whole new Offense and Defense, from cadence to cleats. And football starts in August. Any AD worth his salt would push his agenda......And as for the social media assault, what's the reason for that? Ill wait........hmmmmmmmmm

Less than 25% of the kids in High School play Football, so according to your logic, we force the remaining 75% to do something that hinders their development, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Golf, Tennis, Swimming all of which have very different needs. Makes sense to me lol.

2 minutes ago, longball24 said:

Less than 25% of the kids in High School play Football, so according to your logic, we force the remaining 75% to do something that hinders their development, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Golf, Tennis, Swimming all of which have very different needs. Makes sense to me lol.

Football is still the breadwinner.  Football brings in more money than all the other sports combined.  Football 1st... all other sports 2nd.

On 5/6/2024 at 12:53 PM, Right99JOH said:

Hmm thats news to me and I have one currently playing college baseball.  

Yet, there are hundreds of high school football players that play in the UA football game and the U.S. Army bowl

Happens all the time.. College coaches limiting their pitch counts in high school. My suggestion is to talk to some high school coaches and see what they are told by their players.. 

As for football Sr. all star football games all you have to do is look at local and state all star games.... you really think the best players in the state of TEXAS are going to small colleges like SFA, McNeese, Lamar and etc... You will rarely see any SEC, Pac 10, Big 12 kids there.. why their school does not want them playing.

4 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

Football is still the breadwinner.  Football brings in more money than all the other sports combined.  Football 1st... all other sports 2nd.

ALL SPORTS LOSE MONEY!!!

From your point of view other kids dreams don't matter... OK... Your opinion. 

2 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

Happens all the time.. College coaches limiting their pitch counts in high school. My suggestion is to talk to some high school coaches and see what they are told by their players.. 

As for football Sr. all star football games all you have to do is look at local and state all star games.... you really think the best players in the state of TEXAS are going to small colleges like SFA, McNeese, Lamar and etc... You will rarely see any SEC, Pac 10, Big 12 kids there.. why their school does not want them playing.

All the time huh... I can get on the phone with 7 kids that all went on to play college baseball.  DI, DII, and Juco.  Out of the 7 kids, 6 pitched and NEVER once did a coach limit their pitch count.  All within the past 2 years.

"School do not want them playing" have you ever watched the UA All American football game or the US Army football game?!?!  EVERY top high school football player in the country is there...PLAYING 🤦‍♂️

With NIL and the transfer portal, more kids are willing to go play at smaller schools.  Why...???  Playing time and they know the following year they can transfer to a bigger, better school.

Ex... local football standout...3 star skilled position player (RB, WR, CB,) on the cusp of being a 4 star.  Has offers from 3 D1 power 5 schools and 9 offers from non-power 5 schools.  The 3 power 5 all say the same thing... come in, develop, redshirt, and in a year or two you might be starting.  The 9 non-power 5 say this.... You'll be competing day 1 for a starting position.  A vast majority of kids are going to say yes to being able to compete for a starting position and playing time day 1 because they know after 1 good year they'll be able to hit the portal and move to one of the D1 power 5 schools.  Jared Verse is a good example.... Played at Albany.  Had a good season.  Transferred to Florida St. Top 20 NFL draft pick.

20 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

ALL SPORTS LOSE MONEY!!!

From your point of view other kids dreams don't matter... OK... Your opinion. 

Name one Texas high school sport that is bigger than football?!?!  I'll wait....  If it wasn't for football programs, how many other sports would survive?!?!?!?

20 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

Name one Texas high school sport that is bigger than football?!?!  I'll wait....  If it wasn't for football programs, how many other sports would survive?!?!?!?

Football is king I admit. If it wasn’t for the Tax payer these multimillion dollar stadium’s would not exist, these huge salaries would not exist. If everyone will vote for the school voucher program this would put a stop to a lot of the excessive spending, because when the 75% find greener pastures the 25% will be wondering what happened.

1 hour ago, longball24 said:

Football is king I admit. If it wasn’t for the Tax payer these multimillion dollar stadium’s would not exist, these huge salaries would not exist. If everyone will vote for the school voucher program this would put a stop to a lot of the excessive spending, because when the 75% find greener pastures the 25% will be wondering what happened.

As long as little Timmy or whoever gets to run into that field on Friday nights, the 25% isn't going anywhere.  If football folded... no more cheerleaders, drill teams, band would surlily dwindle.  I say that cause outside of football the cheerleaders may cheer at a few basketball games, same goes for the drill team, bands I believe do a little more like competitions.

5 hours ago, longball24 said:

Nothings free, the government ain't giving out vouchers without strings attached.....That's not how they do business. More of the same... cause  their hand is still in it. Does anyone think they will pay to have you educated and not have a say? Really?

18 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

As long as little Timmy or whoever gets to run into that field on Friday nights, the 25% isn't going anywhere.  If football folded... no more cheerleaders, drill teams, band would surlily dwindle.  I say that cause outside of football the cheerleaders may cheer at a few basketball games, same goes for the drill team, bands I believe do a little more like competitions.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but drill team and cheerleaders have competitions too - many of them - and camp.

8 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but drill team and cheerleaders have competitions too - many of them - and camp.

You are 100% correct, but I think wanting to be a cheerleader or drill team member is more about being on the sidelines on Friday nights than to compete in competitions.... I may wrong... IDK. Never was a cheerleader or drill team member lol.

4 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

You are 100% correct, but I think wanting to be a cheerleader or drill team member is more about being on the sidelines on Friday nights than to compete in competitions.... I may wrong... IDK. Never was a cheerleader or drill team member lol.

Well, I got a whole house full of 1 football player that played in college, 2 cheerleaders one of whom cheered in college. Football games are super important for the cheerleaders, but I would say 80% of their efforts (and my money) went to competitions.

30 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Well, I got a whole house full of 1 football player that played in college, 2 cheerleaders one of whom cheered in college. Football games are super important for the cheerleaders, but I would say 80% of their efforts (and my money) went to competitions.

No doubt they spend a lot of time training and competing but cheerleading would not exist without football. Even the schools that don’t have football and still have cheerleading are supported institutionally by the schools that do have football. Cheerleading is part of the “football game day experience”

37 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

No doubt they spend a lot of time training and competing but cheerleading would not exist without football. Even the schools that don’t have football and still have cheerleading are supported institutionally by the schools that do have football. Cheerleading is part of the “football game day experience”

100%... Wanting to be a cheerleader starts at an early age... Little league football.  Not little league baseball or little dribblers.

58 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

No real argument there including band, drill team, twirlers, flag corps, etc. - except - at least for cheerleading (I can't speak on the others), all the uniforms, matching work out clothes for camp (5 outfits), many travel expenses, and other things are not paid for by the district. It's the parents who foot the bill. 

22 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

All the time huh... I can get on the phone with 7 kids that all went on to play college baseball.  DI, DII, and Juco.  Out of the 7 kids, 6 pitched and NEVER once did a coach limit their pitch count.  All within the past 2 years.

"School do not want them playing" have you ever watched the UA All American football game or the US Army football game?!?!  EVERY top high school football player in the country is there...PLAYING 🤦‍♂️

With NIL and the transfer portal, more kids are willing to go play at smaller schools.  Why...???  Playing time and they know the following year they can transfer to a bigger, better school.

Ex... local football standout...3 star skilled position player (RB, WR, CB,) on the cusp of being a 4 star.  Has offers from 3 D1 power 5 schools and 9 offers from non-power 5 schools.  The 3 power 5 all say the same thing... come in, develop, redshirt, and in a year or two you might be starting.  The 9 non-power 5 say this.... You'll be competing day 1 for a starting position.  A vast majority of kids are going to say yes to being able to compete for a starting position and playing time day 1 because they know after 1 good year they'll be able to hit the portal and move to one of the D1 power 5 schools.  Jared Verse is a good example.... Played at Albany.  Had a good season.  Transferred to Florida St. Top 20 NFL draft pick.

Really.. I have talked to many high school coaches, players and college coaches about this subject. (by the way, if you have not guessed it... I'M A HIGH SCHOOL COACH - Football and Baseball). I have had several Big D1 players that went to Baylor, Texas, Texas  A&M, UH, and LSU tell me their pitch counts... What they were allowed to throw. How long they had to sit till next outing. All of these were in writing by their college pitching coach.  Even seen a kid this year NOT Allowed to pitch in the First round of playoffs cause his pitching coach from LSU told him not to cause of how many he had thrown the week before. They keep tabs on kids all the time.  Kids stay in contact with their college coaches all year.  

I have Coached in Local and State ALL-Star football and baseball games. I have been on selection committees. I can tell you for a fact, a invite is sent out to all state players. Most Big College players do not accept the invite. 

23 hours ago, Right99JOH said:

All sports lose money... period.. Yes football brings more revenue but still loses money with all its costs...  Football does not "fund" other sports..  It is funded by budget.. which is paid by state and local taxes.  I have seen many games this year where less than 200 parents show up to the games. Do you think these schools got rid all other sports cause their football team did not gain enough revenue at football games??... come on.. 

I would agree football is bigger in Texas.. no doubt... All I'm saying is other sports should not suffer cause of football Offseason... I know coaches think that 10 extra practices in April/May will determine if they are successful in November.. I just don't think its worth destroying another sport to do it.. especially with all the summer to practice...

2 minutes ago, hitman009 said:

All sports lose money... period.. Yes football brings more revenue but still loses money with all its costs...  Football does not "fund" other sports..  It is funded by budget.. which is paid by state and local taxes.  I have seen many games this year where less than 200 parents show up to the games. Do you think these schools got rid all other sports cause their football team did not gain enough revenue at football games??... come on.. 

I would agree football is bigger in Texas.. no doubt... All I'm saying is other sports should not suffer cause of football Offseason... I know coaches think that 10 extra practices in April/May will determine if they are successful in November.. I just don't think its worth destroying another sport to do it.. I believe in all sports importance.. All kids goals and dreams... especially with all the summer to practice...

1 hour ago, hitman009 said:

Really.. I have talked to many high school coaches, players and college coaches about this subject. (by the way, if you have not guessed it... I'M A HIGH SCHOOL COACH - Football and Baseball). I have had several Big D1 players that went to Baylor, Texas, Texas  A&M, UH, and LSU tell me their pitch counts... What they were allowed to throw. How long they had to sit till next outing. All of these were in writing by their college pitching coach.  Even seen a kid this year NOT Allowed to pitch in the First round of playoffs cause his pitching coach from LSU told him not to cause of how many he had thrown the week before. They keep tabs on kids all the time.  Kids stay in contact with their college coaches all year.  

I have Coached in Local and State ALL-Star football and baseball games. I have been on selection committees. I can tell you for a fact, a invite is sent out to all state players. Most Big College players do not accept the invite. 

Damn!... With all that talent you must be one of the winningest coaches in high school sports.  Oh, and congrats on being A HIGH SCHOOL COACH!

"Several" out of the how many thousands that go play the next level?!?