La Vega 20 WO-S 12 Final/Comments

KFDM COOP

La Vega ends WO-S season, 20-12

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

HUNTSVILLE — A tremendous season by the West Orange-Stark Mustangs came to an end Friday night after a sluggish second half, something that the Mustangs never had all season.

The Waco La Vega Pirates ripped off 14 unanswered points in the second half to take down the Mustangs 20-12 in the Class 3A Region III Division III regional semifinals at Sam Houston State University’s Bowers Stadium Friday night.

The Pirates (13-0) received 141 tough yards and two touchdowns from senior fullback Kourtney Parr. The Mustangs (11-2) controlled the first half but failed to get a first down in the second half. The Pirates outgained the Mustangs 310-196 but held a164-22 advantage after intermission.

“We ran 11 plays with no first downs in the second half and you can’t win like that,†said long-time Mustang head coach Dan Hooks. “I’m not blaming our offense, it’s just how the game got away from us in the second half.â€

This is the hidden content, please

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was heart breaking to see the WOS d stop le vega all those times and the offense just couldn't get anything goin. I know we always expect the best from our football teams year in and year out but this team did a tremendous job this year. The sick thing is is that were gunna be pretty good again next year with all the young guys with more experience expecially after this run. Good season guys!

WOS...we don't rebuild..we just reload

Great season to the players and coaches. 

We have got to get a kicking game.  This has been our downfall for years with the exception of a few seasons.  In my opinion kicking is "getting down to basics".  To any soccer players going to high school or already in high school.  Practice and get out there.  Its great training for soccer and being able to say you were apart of the football team puts you in a very distinguished group of guys. 

To the Mustangs...especially the seniors...Hold your heads high because you accomplished SO MUCH this year.  You had a RB (POODIE) who broke a 20-year rushing record and he couldn't have done it without the other 10 Mustangs on the field doing their jobs.  I know tonight hurts, but you proved many wrong this year.

We got beat tonight...plain and simple.  The second half was just off.  To the Mustang chaingang...I don't know of anything that you could have done better.  It's not everyday that you see 4th down and what an inch or two and a defense be able to hold it and take over on downs.  You guys played an awesome game.  As far as our kicking game, yes it needs work, but #11...you did a pretty good job considering you probably never thought that you would be handling the kicks.  To any young middle school kids reading this...practice kicking field goals NOW...we'll need you in a few years.

To the seniors...cherish this year, but know that this is just a stepping stone.  So many of you have so much more to do, get to work.  I can't wait to see next year's team and see some of you play at the next level.  Lastly, what can one say...you are great group of young Mustangs, but more than that...you are pretty good young men too.  Thanks (from this single parent) to the coaches who have filled a void for my own three boys, but more importantly...to the many vulnerable young men who come to you and dedicate themselves to Mustang football.  If we never win a game, what you have contributed to these young men is something extraordinary and something that can never be repaid.  You have done what so many others didn't/wouldn't even attempt to do.  A heartfelt thanks... :'(

Oh-so-proud-to-be-a-MUSTANG and a MUSTANG MOM!!!   8) :'( 8)

Great post stang4life.  There is really nothing of any substance that I can add to that, but I do want to publicly give a HUGE congrats to the Mustangs & the awesome season y'all had.  As always, you represented SETX well, and we thank you for that.  The scary part is, this was supposed to be a down season for you guys . . . yikes!!  :o

Congrats again on a great season.  With any luck, maybe we will play each other again in non-district games for the next couple of years. 

Great post stang4life.  There is really nothing of any substance that I can add to that, but I do want to publicly give a HUGE congrats to the Mustangs & the awesome season y'all had.  As always, you represented SETX well, and we thank you for that.  The scary part is, this was supposed to be a down season for you guys . . . yikes!!  :o

Congrats again on a great season.  With any luck, maybe we will play each other again in non-district games for the next couple of years. 

Yea this whole team is back next year.

Yea this whole team is back next year.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the WHOLE team is back. When you lose players the caliber of D. Garrett and R. Dennis, among a few others, you'll suffer some getting some replacements for them. I am sure the Mustangs will be loaded again next year.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the WHOLE team is back. When you lose players the caliber of D. Garrett and R. Dennis, among a few others, you'll suffer some getting some replacements for them. I am sure the Mustangs will be loaded again next year.

From what I've SEEN and heard, we have some skill players coming up that will fill shoes quite adequately and quite quickly. Quinny has proven that he is as adept at handling the feature back duties as his brother. We have a young JV WR and QB that are going to turn a lot of heads. Yes, pretty much the whole team is back next year, though we'll miss greats like DPG, Dennis and Cory Bell. As well as we played this year, it truly was a "rebuilding" year, which is just another feather in the cap of the program!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder