Lumberton 39 Vidor 48/FINAL

Basically a playoff game here. Lumberton wins, they claim final playoff spot in 19-4A.

A Vidor win along with a win next Tuesday against last place Jasper will give the Pirates the final playoff spot due to their season sweep of Lumberton.

Big big game tonight!

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Lumberton 39 Vidor 48/FINAL
20 hours ago, bullets13 said:

They’ve been logging in but not posting lately for some reason 🤷🏻‍♂️

Remember what was lumberton basketball before Mitchell got there? I actually went to the game, vidor had the better guards and prob one of the better players in the district in number 5. 

27 minutes ago, HasBeen36 said:

I’ve been reading too much about how your bff at HJ might not make the playoffs with the studs he has. 

Missing the playoffs in 20-4A is not the same as missing it in 19-4A.

But neither hasn't missed just yet.

And I think it's been said many times this season. This is one of the weaker HJ teams of late. Coach Davis is doing a great job to have them in position to make playoffs. At least he has more than one win vs. a playoff team this season.

On 2/11/2024 at 10:31 AM, HasBeen36 said:

I’ve been reading too much about how your bff at HJ might not make the playoffs with the studs he has. 

this HJ team is extremely short on studs, but to fair, his “studs” over the last several years have gone on to play D3 and NAIA, mostly due to the fact that he pushes to get them offers.  Listening to you one would think he’s had a steady supply of D1 players coming down the pipeline.   Still, in his “worst” ever season coaching (two of the best basketball minds on the board say it’s his best coaching job) he’s got a fighting chance to make the playoffs.  I made a commitment last year to not talk about Mitchell, as for a time I admittedly criticized him too much for some stuff that happened off the court.  I got past that, but the delusions of his fan club led me into a lot of conversations where I still came off as critical of him, and I’ve heard from enough people to know he’s done some good things over there for the kids and in the community that changed my mind about him to a certain extent.  A lot of what seemed like criticism of him was just disputing outlandish claims made by his supporters.  That said, you like to take shots at "my guy", so I suppose I can at least be objectively truthful about yours. It seems to some degree he's improved the basketball culture in the community, and the team has had some good seasons under him.  None of that changes the fact that the fan club is still delusional.  You literally came on here crowing when Lumberton got their only 2-game win streak of the season, and their only win against a playoff team.  They're 11-20 and need help not to miss the playoffs in an extremely weak district, and you're still on here trying to act like he's the next Coach K.  You’re still trying to crap all over Davis, who's never missed the playoffs at 3 different schools over a long career.  The truth is, the further they've gotten from that once in a generation Lumberton D1 player, the more Lumberton looks like they did pre-Mitchell.  Not sure exactly what that means, but I can make some inferences.  

On 2/11/2024 at 9:58 AM, Excoach1970 said:

Remember what was lumberton basketball before Mitchell got there? I actually went to the game, vidor had the better guards and prob one of the better players in the district in number 5. 

I do.  The further along we go, the more I wonder how much of the improvement has been Mitchell, and how much has been dropping in classification and having a generational player for the first 3 years after dropping.  his only year in 5A he didn't do any better than the guys before him.  Once he got away from Central, Ozen, PAM, and Nederland, combined with having the best? player in Lumberton history, they had a couple of good seasons, including the district championship with the fortuitous covid win over silsbee.  But since then, we're looking at missing the playoffs 2 out of 3 years, with a 4th place seed the other, which wasn't even a possibility for the guys before him.  Would any of the Lumberton teams before 2014 have made the playoffs if 4 teams went?  I honestly don't know.  I think Mitchell has improved the program some, and the basketball culture in Lumberton to some degree, but I also think it's time to quit throwing his name around with the Jouberts and Greens and Siglers and Sutherlands, etc. like some of his biggest fans like to do.  It's great that he has the support of the community, but that doesn't change the results.  It's okay for him to just be a coach who had a couple of pretty good seasons with an all-time great player at a school that has traditionally not been very good.  Maybe he can get them going back in the right direction, I don't know.  .  

On 2/11/2024 at 11:02 AM, AggiesAreWe said:

Missing the playoffs in 20-4A is not the same as missing it in 19-4A.

But neither hasn't missed just yet.

And I think it's been said many times this season. This is one of the weaker HJ teams of late. Coach Davis is doing a great job to have them in position to make playoffs. At least he has more than one win vs. a playoff team this season.

I've followed this team for almost 30 years, and this is arguably the weakest team they've had since before Sutherland was coaching there.  Maybe 2001 or 2002.

18 hours ago, bullets13 said:

I do.  The further along we go, the more I wonder how much of the improvement has been Mitchell, and how much has been dropping in classification and having a generational player for the first 3 years after dropping.  his only year in 5A he didn't do any better than the guys before him.  Once he got away from Central, Ozen, PAM, and Nederland, combined with having the best? player in Lumberton history, they had a couple of good seasons, including the district championship with the fortuitous covid win over silsbee.  But since then, we're looking at missing the playoffs 2 out of 3 years, with a 4th place seed the other, which wasn't even a possibility for the guys before him.  Would any of the Lumberton teams before 2014 have made the playoffs if 4 teams went?  I honestly don't know.  I think Mitchell has improved the program some, and the basketball culture in Lumberton to some degree, but I also think it's time to quit throwing his name around with the Jouberts and Greens and Siglers and Sutherlands, etc. like some of his biggest fans like to do.  It's great that he has the support of the community, but that doesn't change the results.  It's okay for him to just be a coach who had a couple of pretty good seasons with an all-time great player at a school that has traditionally not been very good.  Maybe he can get them going back in the right direction, I don't know.  .  

Sutherland has players every year when he doesn't what happens he’s in the situation he is in now. Joubert has players when he doesn’t what happens? Same with sig what did he do when he was at Livingston? All time great player for one year, how many great players has Davis, sig, Joubert, Sutherland, English,Green coached or college type players have they coached?  We see what PNG is doing in the 5a district and they have some descent talent and they have a really good coach. It’s  hard to compete at that level when you don’t have the dudes. How many times has Lumberton actually made the playoffs? Since you are a history buff and watch basketball for 30 plus years around the area. Lumberton was 3a and 4a for most of the time then moved to 5a when he took over and wasn’t goose and lee in that district also? That’s a tough task taking over a bad program and then having to play PA, Ozen, Central, Nederland, goose, and Lee. Lumberton made the playoffs last year if I’m correct but there is a reason why they have only had one playoff appearance before he took over, it’s because the program was one of the worse in the state and I found that online reading the articles. When did they adapt the 3 team playoffs for districts? I think it was around 94 I think and I know 4 teams was around 2008 so that is a cop out. Lumberton has gotten 3rd place while Mitchell was there but why did they only make it one time in school history before he took over? I remember watching some of those Lumberton teams they had some talent and never got in and I have no dog in the fight with Lumberton or Mitchell I’m just trying to be honest. Seems like some don’t like seeing the guy having some descent success at a place that never had it before hand. 

I've coached against all of those guys and English, Davis, Joubert, Sutherland, and Green. They all have better players each and every year and when lumberton had one college guy what did they do? They won a district ship at Lumberton and honestly I watched Lumberton play in a warm up game that year and wasn't that impressed with Mclure. Dude got a hometown offer to Lamar. Yall say I'm a Mitchell fan club member but honestly I just don't get the hate this guy gets. Dude gets a little passionate and forces his kids to play hard and you think his off the court "antics" make him bad. I see kids who play hard and love the game and then leave his program as young men because he treats them that way. 

27 minutes ago, Excoach1970 said:

Sutherland has players every year when he doesn't what happens he’s in the situation he is in now. Joubert has players when he doesn’t what happens? Same with sig what did he do when he was at Livingston? All time great player for one year, how many great players has Davis, sig, Joubert, Sutherland, English,Green coached or college type players have they coached?  We see what PNG is doing in the 5a district and they have some descent talent and they have a really good coach. It’s  hard to compete at that level when you don’t have the dudes. How many times has Lumberton actually made the playoffs? Since you are a history buff and watch basketball for 30 plus years around the area. Lumberton was 3a and 4a for most of the time then moved to 5a when he took over and wasn’t goose and lee in that district also? That’s a tough task taking over a bad program and then having to play PA, Ozen, Central, Nederland, goose, and Lee. Lumberton made the playoffs last year if I’m correct but there is a reason why they have only had one playoff appearance before he took over, it’s because the program was one of the worse in the state and I found that online reading the articles. When did they adapt the 3 team playoffs for districts? I think it was around 94 I think and I know 4 teams was around 2008 so that is a cop out. Lumberton has gotten 3rd place while Mitchell was there but why did they only make it one time in school history before he took over? I remember watching some of those Lumberton teams they had some talent and never got in and I have no dog in the fight with Lumberton or Mitchell I’m just trying to be honest. Seems like some don’t like seeing the guy having some descent success at a place that never had it before hand. 

4 teams started in 2014.

20 hours ago, bullets13 said:

We aren’t dumb here. We all know that people in this area like to judge coaches. I’ve coached at a high level long enough to know if a coach is good not based off of wins but based off of potential. Lumberton has had some of the worst basketball players I’ve layed my eyes on and manages to make them competitive every single year. I would like to see these SETX elite coaches get the rosters that Mitchell has gotten and see if they can win (they wouldn’t). Until I see them have the caliber of players Mitchell has and win you can’t say he isn’t a great coach. 

9 minutes ago, EagleFan2004 said:

We aren’t dumb here. We all know that people in this area like to judge coaches. I’ve coached at a high level long enough to know if a coach is good not based off of wins but based off of potential. Lumberton has had some of the worst basketball players I’ve layed my eyes on and manages to make them competitive every single year. I would like to see these SETX elite coaches get the rosters that Mitchell has gotten and see if they can win (they wouldn’t). Until I see them have the caliber of players Mitchell has and win you can’t say he isn’t a great coach. 

Depends on how you're defining great.  

11 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

Depends on how you're defining great.  

Where is the word great in anything I said??

Mitchell has had 1 division 1 basketball player ever in his program and guess what? He was district champs in that kids senior year. Imagine if he had multiple D1 athletes like a Sigler, Green, or Boutee. We don’t judge coaches how they should be judged in SETX