Nederland vs. Montgomery Lake Creek

Reagan

4 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

Nederland did not sit at home in 1999 playoffs? They was Co-district champs. They lost to eventual state champions Texas City in the quarterfinals.  

Nederland made the playoffs every year from 1996-2006 2007 season they didn’t then started a streak again.. 

Without digging too much I think since 1996 Nederland has not qualified for the playoffs you can count on 1 hand… 

Sorry you have a wrong year for 1999. PNG went to the state game and lost to Stephenville by a score of 28-18. Art Briles was the coach of Stephenville and his son Kendall was the QB for them. 

3 hours ago, png742 said:

Sorry you have a wrong year for 1999. PNG went to the state game and lost to Stephenville by a score of 28-18. Art Briles was the coach of Stephenville and his son Kendall was the QB for them. 

I do not have the wrong year. Nederland was D1 that year. PNG was Div 2. There was 2 champions for 4A. Just like how it is to this day.. 

Good news Nederland is in the playoffs 

Bad news they are 1 of the worst 5A D2 teams to make the playoffs in the State

6 losses giving up an average of 39 a game and scoring an average of 15 

4 wins against teams with a combined 15-25 record and 6-22 in district 

Lake Creek probably anywhere from 42, 49, 56 points

Bulldogs probably 0, 7, 14 points once LC puts backups in

23 hours ago, Reagan said:

Unfortunately, I hate to say this, but I think the end result of this game will show the fallacy of 4 teams in the playoffs.  The playoffs used to be something of pride.  Now for the first and second place teams it still is.  Why did they go to 3 and 4?  Is it playoff money for schools?  The touchy-feely thought of working towards "everybody gets a participation ribbon?"  I tend to lean towards the former.  If it's the latter, why not allow all the teams to make the playoffs?  Come close the circle and complete the joke!

Ned beating all the weak teams to gain a "playoff" spot, really, is this a badge of honor?  If you end up getting embarrassed because you really shouldn't be there, where's the honor?   Concerning this, being the tallest midget in the room doesn't help much!

I'm more concerned with the UIL changing this so not to put teams like this in an bad situation.  I've seen 2-8 and 3-7 teams make the playoffs.  Really?!  Thoughts?!

Debbie Downer.... aka Negative Nancy has spoken 

On 11/6/2023 at 9:48 AM, Reagan said:

Unfortunately, I hate to say this, but I think the end result of this game will show the fallacy of 4 teams in the playoffs.  The playoffs used to be something of pride.  Now for the first and second place teams it still is.  Why did they go to 3 and 4?  Is it playoff money for schools?  The touchy-feely thought of working towards "everybody gets a participation ribbon?"  I tend to lean towards the former.  If it's the latter, why not allow all the teams to make the playoffs?  Come close the circle and complete the joke!

Ned beating all the weak teams to gain a "playoff" spot, really, is this a badge of honor?  If you end up getting embarrassed because you really shouldn't be there, where's the honor?   Concerning this, being the tallest midget in the room doesn't help much!

I'm more concerned with the UIL changing this so not to put teams like this in an bad situation.  I've seen 2-8 and 3-7 teams make the playoffs.  Really?!  Thoughts?!

Doesn't bother me really. The better teams generally go further and making it to the 3rd or 4th round and beyond is something to be proud of. The 4 team playoffs let us watch more football too which I am always a fan of. Then there's the occasional upset from a 3rd or 4th seeded team. That's always exciting to see. I've thought about it both ways, and I truly don't see a big downside to it. Let 'em play. No harm, no foul.

On 11/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, Rez Ipsa said:

Ok - So, that goes to my point. West Orange was better than a lot of teams that made the playoffs across the state that year. Would they have made it to state? Who knows. But, it wouldn’t have hurt to have West Orange in, and they might have shaken things up. 

Worth noting that West Orange beat eventual state finalist PN-G in district play in 1999.

I'm old school and I like just two teams going to playoffs.

But, I'm good with 4 teams as long as every district has a minimum 7-8 teams. I don't like 4 teams going out of a district that has just 4-6 teams in it. A team should be required to win more district games than they lose or at least be .500 to get a playoff spot. I have seen some playoff teams only win one district game and actually seen a team go without winning a district game because they were in a district with just 4 teams.

I could care less what a teams overall record is because non-district games don't factor in and some teams schedule harder than others in non district. But IMO, a team should have at minimum a .500 record in district play to qualify.

1 hour ago, A BUC 77 said:

Hey, better than last year.  You never know what will happen.  That's why they play the game.  Could it be a butt wippen?  Heck yeah.  Go in there dogs and play loose.  Go in there as if you own the place.  You might wake up some old echoes.

There ya go…What they got to lose. Get #1 the ball however you can. He can be a difference maker.