Nederland vs. Montgomery Lake Creek

Reagan

Unfortunately, I hate to say this, but I think the end result of this game will show the fallacy of 4 teams in the playoffs.  The playoffs used to be something of pride.  Now for the first and second place teams it still is.  Why did they go to 3 and 4?  Is it playoff money for schools?  The touchy-feely thought of working towards "everybody gets a participation ribbon?"  I tend to lean towards the former.  If it's the latter, why not allow all the teams to make the playoffs?  Come close the circle and complete the joke!

Ned beating all the weak teams to gain a "playoff" spot, really, is this a badge of honor?  If you end up getting embarrassed because you really shouldn't be there, where's the honor?   Concerning this, being the tallest midget in the room doesn't help much!

I'm more concerned with the UIL changing this so not to put teams like this in an bad situation.  I've seen 2-8 and 3-7 teams make the playoffs.  Really?!  Thoughts?!

2 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Unfortunately, I hate to say this, but I think the end result of this game will show the fallacy of 4 teams in the playoffs.  The playoffs used to be something of pride.  Now for the first and second place teams it still is.  Why did they go to 3 and 4?  Is it playoff money for schools?  The touchy-feely thought of working towards "everybody gets a participation ribbon?"  I tend to lean towards the former.  If it's the latter, why not allow all the teams to make the playoffs?  Come close the circle and complete the joke!

Ned beating all the weak teams to gain a "playoff" spot, really, is this a badge of honor?  If you end up getting embarrassed because you really shouldn't be there, where's the honor?   Concerning this, being the tallest midget in the room doesn't help much!

I'm more concerned with the UIL changing this so not to put teams like this in an bad situation.  I've seen 2-8 and 3-7 teams make the playoffs.  Really?!  Thoughts?!

(1) UIL collects revenue from playoff games. More games = $$

(2) I like four teams in, and more teams solves a couple problems while not depriving the playoffs of what makes playoffs great. In the old days, teams were often punished for being in good districts. In 1999, state-ranked Nederland team sat at home because West Orange and PNG beat them. Both West Orange and PnG made good playoff runs, and it’s reasonable to expect Nederland would have as well. Far weaker teams than Nederland across the state made the playoffs because they were in weaker districts. I see the dilutive effect of adding more teams, but only if “making the playoffs” is the prize I’m protecting. But, our goal isn’t to see who can make the playoffs. Our goal is to arrive at the best team in the state via a single-elimination tournament. More teams doesn’t hurt that, and there have been four seeds who made it really far (I want to say some have made it to state because I remember hearing that from Dave Campbell’s, but I don’t know for certain). 

Nederland could keep it close.  If they can win in the trenches and control TOP they have a shot.  If Lake Creek looks at the record and thinks they have it in the bag, they may be in trouble.  Remember last season when they were blowing people out until the met FBM and were humbled real quick.  Different areas of the state play different brands of football.  Hit ‘em in the mouth Dogs 

1 hour ago, Rez Ipsa said:

(1) UIL collects revenue from playoff games. More games = $$

(2) I like four teams in, and more teams solves a couple problems while not depriving the playoffs of what makes playoffs great. In the old days, teams were often punished for being in good districts. In 1999, state-ranked Nederland team sat at home because West Orange and PNG beat them. Both West Orange and PnG made good playoff runs, and it’s reasonable to expect Nederland would have as well. Far weaker teams than Nederland across the state made the playoffs because they were in weaker districts. I see the dilutive effect of adding more teams, but only if “making the playoffs” is the prize I’m protecting. But, our goal isn’t to see who can make the playoffs. Our goal is to arrive at the best team in the state via a single-elimination tournament. More teams doesn’t hurt that, and there have been four seeds who made it really far (I want to say some have made it to state because I remember hearing that from Dave Campbell’s, but I don’t know for certain). 

Nederland did not sit at home in 1999 playoffs? They was Co-district champs. They lost to eventual state champions Texas City in the quarterfinals.  

Nederland made the playoffs every year from 1996-2006 2007 season they didn’t then started a streak again.. 

Without digging too much I think since 1996 Nederland has not qualified for the playoffs you can count on 1 hand… 

32 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Nederland did not sit at home in 1999 playoffs? They was Co-district champs. They lost to eventual state champions Texas City in the quarterfinals.  

Nederland made the playoffs every year from 1996-2006 2007 season they didn’t then started a streak again.. 

Without digging too much I think since 1996 Nederland has not qualified for the playoffs you can count on 1 hand… 

I believe Sullivan got hurt early in the playoffs, I think Barbay or DeLage took the reins from there?...Hurt us when he went down....Could be wrong about who took over at qb.....

36 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Thanks - I thought it was West Orange that made it, not Nederland. 

44 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Thanks - I thought it was West Orange that made it, not Nederland. 

West Orange missed the playoffs in 1999 with a 7-3 record and in 2002 and 2003 with an 8-2 record.   Nederland has only missed the playoffs since 1993 five times:  in 1994,1995,2016,2021 and 2022.

16 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

West Orange missed the playoffs in 1999 with a 7-3 record and in 2002 and 2003 with an 8-2 record.   Nederland has only missed the playoffs since 1993 five times:  in 1994,1995,2016,2021 and 2022.

Ok - So, that goes to my point. West Orange was better than a lot of teams that made the playoffs across the state that year. Would they have made it to state? Who knows. But, it wouldn’t have hurt to have West Orange in, and they might have shaken things up.