Crosby vs FB Marshall

Cougar14.2

Crosby travels down to Ken Hall Stadium in Missouri City to play the Buffalos Friday night. Oddly it will be the first time the two played outside the confines of Harris County. Crosby took a revenge beating in the opener for all the ones we gave CEK when they were in our district and FB Marshall beat 6A Klein High 21-15 on a ten yard fade route in OT. Crosby will be looking for a bounce back performance before district play starts next week and FB Marshall looking to avoid a 3rd straight loss to the Cougars. 

If we clean up the problems with dropping balls I think we win this one. If we continue to drop TD passes/long yardage catches then this will likely mirror the Klein game and be a who makes a play at the end type of game. 

FBM has a lot of athletes all over the place but Crosby has had their number lately. I think the new offensive scheme does a very good job of creating bad reads for the opposing teams. The number of times we had time to throw the ball against king even tho they would beat us off the edge 75% of the time is extremely impressive. I also think the running game will have a better day not playing a very good 6a front 7. 

I was exceedingly impressed with our coverage of C.E King this last week when they beat us this week it was due to bully ball which they should and did win. FBM doesn't have that style or type of offense they rely on being extremely fast and athletic. Limit big plays catch the ball and the Cougars will be just fine. 

Feels like this game could be a defensive struggle. If Crosby can contain the little RB #24 I think we'll have decent day rushing the passer and defending in the secondary. Andre Feast is a beast but overall I think the FBM receiving core is a notch below CEK. O-line isn't anywhere near King's overall size but the tackles do go about 285 and 300lbs with one being the younger brother of of former A&M signee Barton Clement. 

FBM runs a two QB system I'm assuming. #15 is the bigger kid and better runner while #6 is the better passer and less likely to pull it down. For example, #15 made all but a couple of FBM most explosive run plays against Klein while #6 was brought in on OT to throw the fade to Feast for the game-winning TD. 

What is concerning is FBM on the defensive side of the ball. Looks like they either got a basketball player to come out of got a DT transfer during the offseason? They already had Koryn Randals who has D1 offers at one DT spot and now they add 6'9" 250lbs DeMarcus Johnson who of course had D1 offers too. They replaced stud linebacker Jordan Sample and is counterpart with a  couple of 6'2" sophomores who absolutely look like they have P5 ability. The secondary is typical FBM, Josh Lair, Caleb Chester and Isiah Williams all have multiple P5 offers. William Mitchell is their weak link in the secondary even though he's currently sitting on 11 D1 offers. Going to be a great test to see if we can scheme guys as open as we had them on CEK last week, hopefully we can catch it this time. 

11 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

If we clean up the problems with dropping balls I think we win this one. If we continue to drop TD passes/long yardage catches then this will likely mirror the Klein game and be a who makes a play at the end type of game. 

FBM has a lot of athletes all over the place but Crosby has had their number lately. I think the new offensive scheme does a very good job of creating bad reads for the opposing teams. The number of times we had time to throw the ball against king even tho they would beat us off the edge 75% of the time is extremely impressive. I also think the running game will have a better day not playing a very good 6a front 7. 

I was exceedingly impressed with our coverage of C.E King this last week when they beat us this week it was due to bully ball which they should and did win. FBM doesn't have that style or type of offense they rely on being extremely fast and athletic. Limit big plays catch the ball and the Cougars will be just fine. 

I wasn't keeping track as I was watching the film but on 26 dropbacks I don't think Eudy was sacked once? Remember Langley didn't play either. Eudy ended up throwing for 223 yards and that was with all those drops, easily goes for over 300 yards and 4tds if we could've hung on to it. They moved my nephew up from JV after he made some spectacular catches on King last week, maybe they intend on him helping us hang on to it on Friday's too. 

To your point about the fronts though. Crosby rushed 28 times for 22 yards and CEK rushed 31 times for 409 yards. We were also 1-13 on 3rd downs and half of those were 3rd and 5 or shorter. I agree though, we clean up some of those first game miscues I think we're going to be more than fine. That being said, this new offense is extremely complicated vs what we've been used to running under Coach Riordan and Coach P. You see Coach P's first rattle out of the box they dropped 60 Friday night. 

2 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I wasn't keeping track as I was watching the film but on 26 dropbacks I don't think Eudy was sacked once? Remember Langley didn't play either. Eudy ended up throwing for 223 yards and that was with all those drops, easily goes for over 300 yards and 4tds if we could've hung on to it. They moved my nephew up from JV after he made some spectacular catches on King last week, maybe they intend on him helping us hang on to it on Friday's too. 

To your point about the fronts though. Crosby rushed 28 times for 22 yards and CEK rushed 31 times for 409 yards. We were also 1-13 on 3rd downs and half of those were 3rd and 5 or shorter. I agree though, we clean up some of those first game miscues I think we're going to be more than fine. That being said, this new offense is extremely complicated vs what we've been used to running under Coach Riordan and Coach P. You see Coach P's first rattle out of the box they dropped 60 Friday night. 

Honestly, a more complicated offense has a lot of staying power. Some of the scheming reminds me of what Aledo/Carthage do with their TE's/WR's. 

3 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

Honestly, a more complicated offense has a lot of staying power. Some of the scheming reminds me of what Aledo/Carthage do with their TE's/WR's. 

I agree 100% in terms of the staying power. For years Crosby has relied on athleticism and we've won a lot of games. I think this is the type team Coach P and Rio would get 50 a night with but I also think a system like we're installing now would've been better for a less talented team like last year. 

If we could post videos I would show you the play Glover scored on is the EXACT play I've see Carthage, Katy and Longview run for years. If we can get the offense figured out in short order and keep the defense healthy I think we may run the table in district play. For instance, the should've been 50 yard TD Hammer dropped was actually supposed to be for Wright. They should've been aligned opposite of what they were. It's ok though, Wright made up for it a couple of series later when he dropped the slant for a TD. If we can improve as much as we did from Lamar to CE King again this week we might go Fort Bend County and come away with a surprising result.

2 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I agree 100% in terms of the staying power. For years Crosby has relied on athleticism and we've won a lot of games. I think this is the type team Coach P and Rio would get 50 a night with but I also think a system like we're installing now would've been better for a less talented team like last year. 

If we could post videos I would show you the play Glover scored on is the EXACT play I've see Carthage, Katy and Longview run for years. If we can get the offense figured out in short order and keep the defense healthy I think we may run the table in district play. For instance, the should've been 50 yard TD Hammer dropped was actually supposed to be for Wright. They should've been aligned opposite of what they were. It's ok though, Wright made up for it a couple of series later when he dropped the slant for a TD. If we can improve as much as we did from Lamar to CE King again this week we might go Fort Bend County and come away with a surprising result.

100% - Looks like the Coach has gotten buy in as well because those kids have to be studying this offense not just going through the motions. 

57 minutes ago, Concerned Citizen said:

Crosby's game to lose. FBM is a better team of players but lack coaching and discipline. FBM "probably" would have beat Crosby in 21 if Chris Marshall had not got thrown out of the game (lack of discipline reared its head). Since then that Cougars have owned FBM and should be the same this year. 

Crosby would have blown out FBM if Dunn ankle wasn’t bad. 

So FBM and Crosby both return 9 players. Crosby won last year in OT now travels to FBM with a new coaching staff and beats them at home ? Y’all are going to be so disappointed Saturday morning. 14.2 is already talking about running the table in district after the slaughter last Friday? If you get with in 14 of this one your state bound😂 

16 minutes ago, BHFAN said:

So FBM and Crosby both return 9 players. Crosby won last year in OT now travels to FBM with a new coaching staff and beats them at home ? Y’all are going to be so disappointed Saturday morning. 14.2 is already talking about running the table in district after the slaughter last Friday? If you get with in 14 of this one your state bound😂 

Nobody cares about who’s bringing back what. Both teams have new transfers, both teams lost their QB and leading receiver, FBM also lost their leading rusher. FBM lost two P5 DE’s and a stud MLB to Arkansas St. out of the front seven. All returnees aren’t equal and last year FB Marshall lost to a Crosby team that had been beaten 63-7 the week prior and literally couldn’t move the football. If we had simply caught the ball Friday night we get 35+, totally different than going into this game last year. 

Crosby isn’t starting as a bottom feeder like y’all had to, plus we actually got the mentor instead of the understudy so we don’t really expect the mediocre results y’all strive for. Interesting that James Williams receives a lot of flak on this site for FBM not having titles but all of a sudden he’s about to out-coach a guy that does because he’s playing Crosby, lol. 

1 hour ago, Old Ape said:

FB Marshall looks real average on that video 

The scout film they sent over this week is 136 plays and they don't look great on any of that either. You also have to take into account that they played a 6A school over twice their size though. That was their first game out and they're trying to replace 80% of their offensive production from last year. Outside of the times when they had Malik Hornsby and JW Ketchum playing QB their offense has always looked unimpressive .  .  .  until you get on the field with them and understand why they have won 6 of the last 8 5A track and field state titles. FBM beats you with overall team speed and defense and their defense looks pretty solid. 

Not that it matters this week but Klein probably would've won the game if not for that holding call in OT on 1st and goal from the 4 yard line. Klein can't throw the ball at all but was gashing FBM with the QB keeper. Klein's base formation is pretty similar to what Crosby runs now, what I'm hoping is that they defend us the same way and we capitalize on some of the big play opportunities Klein couldn't hit. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The scout film they sent over this week is 136 plays and they don't look great on any of that either. You also have to take into account that they played a 6A school over twice their size though. That was their first game out and they're trying to replace 80% of their offensive production from last year. Outside of the times when they had Malik Hornsby and JW Ketchum playing QB their offense has always looked unimpressive .  .  .  until you get on the field with them and understand why they have won 6 of the last 8 5A track and field state titles. FBM beats you with overall team speed and defense and their defense looks pretty solid. 

Not that it matters this week but Klein probably would've won the game if not for that holding call in OT on 1st and goal from the 4 yard line. Klein can't throw the ball at all but was gashing FBM with the QB keeper. Klein's base formation is pretty similar to what Crosby runs now, what I'm hoping is that they defend us the same way and we capitalize on some of the big play opportunities Klein couldn't hit. 

If FBM “did not look great”, Crosby “looked pathetic”. Edge FBM.

3 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

If FBM “did not look great”, Crosby “looked pathetic”. Edge FBM.

Crosby lost by 56 to King last year and beat FBM the next week after them beating Klein 14-7 in their opener. Same scenario and FBM took an L to a beat up Crosby team. Lot healthier this year and better on both sides of the ball. They should have a huge edge, they’re at home and have 10 D1 kids on their roster. That’s why they’re on Crosby’s schedule. 

1 hour ago, prepballfan said:

Go Crosby. Take it to them.

They don’t like physical football, that’s why we beat them, that’s why y’all beat them and that why BH beat them running QB draws. They’re usually and awful chatty bunch but they’ve been very quiet in social media so far this week.