17-5a Playoff race

On 5/2/2023 at 12:09 PM, navydawg31 said:

Those scholarships were still there.

As someone that is actually aware of the facts I can tell that statement is 100% false.   Couple of facts before I get on my rant.  11.7 athletic scholarships in D1 baseball w rosters of 27 players or more.  24 athletic scholarships in Junior College baseball.  Depending on the Junior College you might see rosters as high as 45 to 60 players in the fall before they cut half to play in spring season.  Facts... Driskell after summer had zero offers.  After playing well in fall he had multiple offers.  Ultimately he chose to take a full scholarship to Panola.  Noah Kendrick was committed to Alvin Community College at the end of summer.  After playing well in Jupiter Florida in the fall he received interest from some D1s and ultimately chose to take a scholarship to pitch for Sam Houston.  Which is a program he had always had high interest in but there was never an offer until they saw him at there camp in October.  Although you might see a number of commitments come after a senior's school season very few actually have scholarship dollars associated with them as the money is gone.  That is before you take into consideration the transfer portal.  I know multiple kids that had scholarship amounts change or even pulled due to transfer portal, injury, coaches been fired, or a number of other reasons.  Ultimately those boys made a tough decision which was theirs to make.  They dedicated themselves to a dream and goals.  Did they hit all their goals no but it wasn't from a lack of effort or talent on their part.  They are still working toward there goals.  The funny thing is I read a lot of these blogs and I do not ever hear a pep when a kid decides to stop playing baseball or basketball to focus on football.  This kind of stuff just blows my mind.  How about you tip your hat to couple kids that left on the field for Nederland instead of taking pop shots at them.  I promise this community and culture around our sports would be better for it.  If Navy Dog or anyone else peeking on a keyboard would like to speak further about this matter please fell free to contact me anytime.  Be happy to meet you in person and have chat.  Just let me know I'm not hard to find.  Jamie Kendrick 

27 minutes ago, DogFan1 said:

As someone that is actually aware of the facts I can tell that statement is 100% false.   Couple of facts before I get on my rant.  11.7 athletic scholarships in D1 baseball w rosters of 27 players or more.  24 athletic scholarships in Junior College baseball.  Depending on the Junior College you might see rosters as high as 45 to 60 players in the fall before they cut half to play in spring season.  Facts... Driskell after summer had zero offers.  After playing well in fall he had multiple offers.  Ultimately he chose to take a full scholarship to Panola.  Noah Kendrick was committed to Alvin Community College at the end of summer.  After playing well in Jupiter Florida in the fall he received interest from some D1s and ultimately chose to take a scholarship to pitch for Sam Houston.  Which is a program he had always had high interest in but there was never an offer until they saw him at there camp in October.  Although you might see a number of commitments come after a senior's school season very few actually have scholarship dollars associated with them as the money is gone.  That is before you take into consideration the transfer portal.  I know multiple kids that had scholarship amounts change or even pulled due to transfer portal, injury, coaches been fired, or a number of other reasons.  Ultimately those boys made a tough decision which was theirs to make.  They dedicated themselves to a dream and goals.  Did they hit all their goals no but it wasn't from a lack of effort or talent on their part.  They are still working toward there goals.  The funny thing is I read a lot of these blogs and I do not ever hear a pep when a kid decides to stop playing baseball or basketball to focus on football.  This kind of stuff just blows my mind.  How about you tip your hat to couple kids that left on the field for Nederland instead of taking pop shots at them.  I promise this community and culture around our sports would be better for it.  If Navy Dog or anyone else peeking on a keyboard would like to speak further about this matter please fell free to contact me anytime.  Be happy to meet you in person and have chat.  Just let me know I'm not hard to find.  Jamie Kendrick 

I’m not for any one athlete quitting 1 sport to focus on another. Especially the fact you quit on your teammates, friends, and coaching staff going into your senior year when you are suppose to be a leader, but lead by example I guess? But hey that was your family decision. Just funny you never popped up and said anything prior til now tho… was crickets all football season. Our community and culture is very broken right now and all that did was hurt it even worse. Commitment issues? Good luck to the both of them in college. Travis Williams. 

13 minutes ago, DogFan1 said:

I can assure you taking shots at a couple boys certainly doesn't help our community.  I responded to your comment because you are the one who decided to take cheap shot and spew false information at a couple kids not me.  

What was the cheap shot…? 

On 4/26/2023 at 7:00 PM, PhatMack19 said:

PA Memorial has been outscored 142-4 in 13 district games.  Nederland needs them to beat GCM Friday.  Go Titans!

This is the hidden content, please

This is a good point. I just believe that PA Memorial can be better than that. I just do. I know, I know…it’s a tough district. Man, I get it with the BH, PNG, and Crosby. Get you a coach that has experience turning around losing programs. Beaumont United may have ended up 0-24 or whatever it was , but I still think baseball wise Memorial can do better than the record going forward. Either way , they will get everyone back come football season with the talent they are bringing back on the football field next year. 

19 hours ago, Gametime5 said:

This is a good point. I just believe that PA Memorial can be better than that. I just do. I know, I know…it’s a tough district. Man, I get it with the BH, PNG, and Crosby. Get you a coach that has experience turning around losing programs. Beaumont United may have ended up 0-24 or whatever it was , but I still think baseball wise Memorial can do better than the record going forward. Either way , they will get everyone back come football season with the talent they are bringing back on the football field next year. 

First off PA needs someone to come in and get kids interested in playing baseball. They only had 10 kids in the whole program. It starts with the Little Leagues and the ones PA has are in shambles. Some people have tried to get kids excited about it but failed. It’s all about getting the parents interested in baseball. The parents are centered on Football and Basketball because that’s what they know is the strong sports in their school and better shot at getting scholarships in those sports.

12 hours ago, Coach85 said:

First off PA needs someone to come in and get kids interested in playing baseball. They only had 10 kids in the whole program. It starts with the Little Leagues and the ones PA has are in shambles. Some people have tried to get kids excited about it but failed. It’s all about getting the parents interested in baseball. The parents are centered on Football and Basketball because that’s what they know is the strong sports in their school and better shot at getting scholarships in those sports.

This makes perfect sense. You’re absolutely correct. 

On 5/5/2023 at 1:37 PM, Separation Scientist said:

That's the thing, transfers come in and ultimately displace a hometown guy that paid his dues all up through the system from 7th grade on. I bet it leaves a real sour taste that will last a lifetime at least to some degree.  

So if the transfer is better than the hometown kid he shouldn’t play because he hasn’t paid his dues.

if the transfer meets all the eligibility requirements then as a coach you play the best player.  If a freshmen is better than a senior then the better player should play.  What grade you are in shouldn’t determine your playing time.

6 hours ago, oldman said:

So if the transfer is better than the hometown kid he shouldn’t play because he hasn’t paid his dues.

if the transfer meets all the eligibility requirements then as a coach you play the best player.  If a freshmen is better than a senior then the better player should play.  What grade you are in shouldn’t determine your playing time.

I never said anything about grades. What I did comment on is the statement "Can't get those memories back" which I agree with. If a transfer comes in and displaces a hometown kid who has worked his butt off for years with full dedication and effort to the  program and earned his starting spot, then yes I don't think that's a good thing at all. It would leave a very bitter taste for years I would think. So is it worth it? If winning at all costs is the only thing that matters to you, then maybe you do bench the loyal kid that finally earned his spot and start the transfer who might have arrived to use the program solely for self promotion. Then what happens if the transfer doesn't equate to significantly more wins for you? Or he even causes trouble? Your loyal Senior player who you benched "Can't get those memories back". Loyalty matters to me but maybe not to some others.   

49 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

The best players play….

Hypothetical for you: I don't know if you are a coach or not, but lets say you are a head Football coach in the community you are from. You always "lived and breathed" for your community and team as a player. Later your dream comes true and you are hired as a coach. You go far beyond just being there to collect a paycheck. You really invest yourself and put in all the extra effort. You also invest by buying a home and living in your community. You build your team up, and are super excited for your fourth year as HC, thinking all the hard work you have put in is about to pay off in a big way for your program. Then, the summer before the season starts, a supposedly hot-shot coach from another area becomes available and your ISD decides to hire him to take your spot you earned because he "might be 1% better than you", although that's unproven. You are not fired, but reassigned to coach 7th grade girls tennis. Would you happily say "the best coaches coach" then?       

This happens in coaching quite often. You simply move on if that happens. If you don’t want to move, I guess you coach 7th grade

Athletics is all about having fun, but working to be the best you can be and competing for a position If someone moves in and is better, they win the position The one that has been there needs to support the one that wins the job. Way too many parents want the coaches to play my child and the next best 10. Unfortunately that is not how you win. I know that is tough, but that is reality

25 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Athletics is all about having fun, but working to be the best you can be and competing for a position If someone moves in and is better, they win the position The one that has been there needs to support the one that wins the job. Way too many parents want the coaches to play my child and the next best 10

I am not talking about parents at all. They are not in this equation. I am talking about a totally loyal 17 year old that worked for years like a maniac to become a starter on his team then at the last second a Transfer portal brings in a self promoting move in that cares little about the team and community, just showcasing himself. Reverse the roles and lets be real, a head coach would be beyond PO'ed to be demoted to 7th PE because a shiny new toy just arrived. 

Still, the coach could move on but like was said above, that player can't get those memories back. It would leave a bitter taste for a long time. I hate to see a kid experience that.  

I agree that the player can’t get the memories back, however the team and coaching staff should play the best players to give them a chance to win

I agree that I like you am not a fan of that situation, but unfortunately it happens and as a coaching staff, you need to play the best players

3 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

I am not talking about parents at all. They are not in this equation. I am talking about a totally loyal 17 year old that worked for years like a maniac to become a starter on his team then at the last second a Transfer portal brings in a self promoting move in that cares little about the team and community, just showcasing himself. Reverse the roles and lets be real, a head coach would be beyond PO'ed to be demoted to 7th PE because a shiny new toy just arrived. 

Still, the coach could move on but like was said above, that player can't get those memories back. It would leave a bitter taste for a long time. I hate to see a kid experience that.  

What you just described is the good ole boy system. Play the best player no matter what. If a coach doesn’t win enough games he’s fired and or demoted. That’s his job, his record stays with him forever. You are paid to coach to win every single game, 

On 5/5/2023 at 8:50 AM, DogFan1 said:

I know both of these Athletes personally and I will say this about them both! They made the best decision for themselves and for their personal goals. Neither of these players needed anyone elses opinion on the decision they felt was best for them. It completely blows my mind that so many people are so vocal and what a player should or should not do. Maybe we need to have everyone post on their upcoming possible promotion at their job and we can VOTE on if that is a great decision or not for you. If you decide to take it then we will rake you and your family across the community boards on how that was not the best decision for the community or the program.

I also sit in the stands and so many of our fans are so negative and out right disrespectful to majority of the players for so many reasons. When I hear and see so many the funny thing is they never even played sports in High School. absolutely breathtaking!

Noah and Gage are leaving our school in just a few weeks and they will be representing their Hometown School and it truly sucks that there are those that feel like they let our football program down because they chose the best pathway for their DREAM! Maybe just maybe, everyone can finally be honest and focus on the real issues with Big Ned! It starts from the top and I am not speaking on the AD! Starts higher than that!!! 

Last point I will make is this.....Before you comment please remember that our Athletes from our surrounding areas read and make comments about everything that is posted! Be the Change you wish to see!

Noah and Gage Good Luck to you both and always know there is a lot of us that will cheer you both on until you finally retire your cleats!

On 5/7/2023 at 6:26 PM, navydawg31 said:

Play the best player no matter what. 

Play the best player "no matter what"? So if a kid that comes in self centered, disrespectful, and won't take instruction because he thinks he knows better, and gives poor effort in practice is started "no matter what" just because he has skills? What kind of message does that send?  

“A good coach can change a game. A great coach can change a life.”

John Wooden

8 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Play the best player "no matter what"? So if a kid that comes in self centered, disrespectful, and won't take instruction because he thinks he knows better, and gives poor effort in practice is started "no matter what" just because he has skills? What kind of message does that send?  

“A good coach can change a game. A great coach can change a life.”

John Wooden

Well he’s not playing poor effort in practice, what you just stated. Practice how you play.