Lumberton vs. LaMarque Predictions?..SETXSPORTS WILL BROADCAST THIS GAME!!

KFDM COOP

I was at the LM vs EC game yesterday as well.  It was poorly officiated like many of the games i've been to this year. 

Lumberton can play with LaMargue.  They are good but so are we.  Our defense is better then EC's and our offense is more versatile and we can throw the ball.  LM certainly is not better than Dayton.  The only area that LM is better is in the kicking game.  Their kicker has the strongest leg i've seen in high school in many years.   

We can't afford to give up many big plays.  We need to contain the QB Kerlegan and receiver Haynes (#7).  They are 90% of LM's offense.  #7 catches anything thrown his way.  He's a stud!  Kerlegan left the game with an ankle injury but don't think that will keep him out of the game.  Even wounded he's a threat with his arm and legs.  He's the first dual threat QB we've faced since Dayton. 

Look for Lumberton to shock LM by at least 10.         

I'm just calling it like I see it....Agreed Kerlegan and Haynes were 90% of the offense that game........those coaches and kids took what EC gave them....they saw the mismatch and exploited it.......LM still has 5 other good receivers.........and three good backs......so dont expect the same show........I will say if the passing game opens up on Lumbertons' side then it could get interesting.......

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen LaMarque play since week 0 so its tough to judge relative talent. I dont think LaMarque is anywhere NEAR the team they have been in the past and Lumbertons team is just innocent yet talented and determined enough to not let the hype get to them. I think this year LaMarque is more smoke and mirrors than a legitimately good team. They have been hammered 43-22 recently by a Dickinson team that is now getting ready for basketball season after being thrashed last night by Lamar Consolidated. If Lumberton lets the hype get to them they will fall to a team that is no better than they are..... If they dont, they will win this one by a couple of touchdowns. I like Mavericks score, it sounds realistic to me. Please dont let the pomp and circumstance determine the outcome Raiders. These guys are human, cut them they bleed, they can be shut down just like anyone else. JUst play focused, agressive football and you should not have any trouble winning this game. Like I said before, if the LaMarque posters find this they are going to start giving you the smug, chest thumping, sabre rattling act. Dont buy it, they are just another football team this year, nothing special.  

You know what they say Mike... *Where's there's smoke, there's fire*!

that was sarcasm.  and when you reach this round of the playoffs every year (and much farther, generally), i think execution isn't very much of an issue. 

You're right... since 1992, LM has been in the Quarterfinals 14 times.  In my opinion, there are two teams in Region-III that are capable of beating tha Coogahs (and Lumberton ain't one of them).

I have seen both teams play several times and I think these are two very evenly matched teams.

Lamarque runs the Franklin system on offense. It is the current version of the spread that a lot of Texas HS football teams are running....think Southlake Carroll. Lots of zone reads (2 King or 3 Queen) mixed with an option attack (6/7 Zorro) and a passing game consisting of a lot of mesh routes and crossing patterns. The passing game basically consists of using the inside receiver to draw the attention of the safety and then having the QB read that to make a decision on who his primary target will be. LM's QB, Kerligan, has a good arm to throw to some very athletic receivers. Their front 7 on defense is solid and their DB's can be somewhat undisciplined. Even though LM won the state championship last year, they are NOWHERE near the powerhouse they used to be. They are absolutely beatable and lost two district games this year for the first time in forever.

Lumberton is as solid a football team as you will find in SE Texas. They are very physical on both sides of the ball. Their defense is very impressive, but they will need to move their safeties up in order to stop the medium routes that LM will throw to in their system. You cannot give LM a cushion or they will nickel and dime you to death. If Lumberton's RB can break through the first wave of defenders, he could have another big day like he did against Smiley. El Campo's RB had well over 150 yards against LM today. He is not as good as Lumberton's RB. Lumberton's offense revolves around this kid. Lumberton will need to call some screens and maybe een a little trickery to keep LM off balance.

Having said all of that....I honestly think Lumberton could pull this off and it won't be because LM will be overlooking them or taking them lightly. You don't win multiple state championships by overlooking your opponents. Lumberton is a more disciplined team and that is what carries teams deep into the playoffs.

Lumberton 24

Lamarque 21

Nice post...it's obvious that not only did you put a lot of thought into it, but that you also know your stuff.  Having said that, I don't think Lumberton is going to be able to withstand the pressure, especially if tha Coogahs get up by two scores... if that happens, I expect the *L-Train* to implode and even if it doesn't, I still think the tradition and athleticism of tha Coogahs will be enough to walk away with the *W*.  It's the playoffs and anyone who knows anything about football (in this area as well as the rest of the state) knows that LM has a habit of *turning it up a notch* once the *second season* begins.

Guest BIG HOUSE

Can't wait for this game........Supposed to be around 45degree's and raining......just right!!!!

It will suck to be LaMarque this week................... :-* :-* :-* :-* Here comes the L-TRAIN..................

O,these players from L-Town could really care less about what you guys did last year...... ;D ;D ;D

Guest beards_bro

Nice post...it's obvious that not only did you put a lot of thought into it, but that you also know your stuff.  Having said that, I don't think Lumberton is going to be able to withstand the pressure, especially if tha Coogahs get up by two scores... if that happens, I expect the *L-Train* to implode and even if it doesn't, I still think the tradition and athleticism of tha Coogahs will be enough to walk away with the *W*.  It's the playoffs and anyone who knows anything about football (in this area as well as the rest of the state) knows that LM has a habit of *turning it up a notch* once the *second season* begins.

I'm not going to sit here and try to predict who is going to win but I will tell you that the "Train" will not implode. They have to much heart and will fight till the very end even if they are down. They are very scrappy...you will see.

Nice post...it's obvious that not only did you put a lot of thought into it, but that you also know your stuff.  Having said that, I don't think Lumberton is going to be able to withstand the pressure, especially if tha Coogahs get up by two scores... if that happens, I expect the *L-Train* to implode and even if it doesn't, I still think the tradition and athleticism of tha Coogahs will be enough to walk away with the *W*.  It's the playoffs and anyone who knows anything about football (in this area as well as the rest of the state) knows that LM has a habit of *turning it up a notch* once the *second season* begins.

Guest maverick24

I dont think you can site LM's district record when comparing them to Lumberton seeing as Dayton is the only good team in Lumbertons district besides a decent lumberton team. imo LM by more than a little

Wow you just keep opening your mouth and showing the rest of us that you know nothing about Football.

Prepare like they are a LaMarque team of old, but believe you are still the better team!  This is the winning formula.  I hear alot of talk about past championships and 14 quarterfinal appearences,  I do not know how many of those players will be out there playing friday night, but that is the past.  Also, If tradition accounts for 7 points on the scoreboard, then community support and crowd should also account for points.  This is where Lumberton is second to none this season.  It all starts with believing.  This is something we have done all season.  We lay the foundation with believing we can do anything.  Then we build upon it with hard work and dedication.  Then we starve ourselves to the point  that we are so hungry we will do anything to survive another week.  And all this comes to affirmation on friday nights.  Make no mistake LaMarque... It will not be fear you see in our eyes, but FIRE

Turn It Loose Raiders!!!!

To all Raiders:  Those in attendace at the WB game this weekend was very much appreciated.  The local support is important to all teams.  I made your game last week as was extremely impressed with your team and your fan base.

I will be at Stallworth stadium on Friday bringing my best bag of mojo.  Good Luck...You have my continued support and hope you continue to reciprocate.

Go Raiders...Go Bruins

Now and again, a hog find an acorn, a ho-bo misses a train, and a team wins by 13 and only has 68 yards of total O enroute to the state game which said team won.  FYI for my hommie Luv Ya Blue, there are 30 lettermen and 7 starters from that team.....

The Champs are battled tested and had a week off to heal up and it showed against El Campo......

Now and again, a hog find an acorn, a ho-bo misses a train, and a team wins by 13 and only has 68 yards of total O enroute to the state game which said team won.  FYI for my hommie Luv Ya Blue, there are 30 lettermen and 7 starters from that team.....

The Champs are battled tested and had a week off to heal up and it showed against El Campo......

Love the signature dude!

Lumberton is going to have to control the ground game and clock.  That is the only way they will win this.  LaMarque is down this year, but still better than most.  Keep their offense off the field and Lumberton could pull off an upset.

If you call 8-2 regular season with wins over Ball and Pearland as being a 'down', I'll take down all day long.  Just one win off of last years pace......