Silsbee playoffs

I had a coach ask me how many games has Silsbee won in the playoffs the last several years and got me to wondering myself.

In the last 8 seasons, Silsbee has won 40 playoff games. That's averaging 5 wins a playoff season. Here is the last 8 seasons:

2015        Regional finals (4-1)

2016        State finals  (6-1)

2017        State Champs (7-0)

2018       State Champs  (7-0)

2019       Regional finals  (4-1)

2020       Regional semis  (3-1)

2021       Regional finals  (4-1)

2022      State semis       (5-1)

That's 7 regional final appearances in 8 seasons.

4 Regional champs

4 state tourney appearances

2 state championships

1 runnerup

I think one would have to go back to the Port Arthur Lincoln days of the 80's and 90's to come up with a better playoff run here locally.

If you go back to 2005, Silsbee has reached the regional finals 12 times in that 18 year span, winning the region 6 times. Made the regional tournament in 14 of those 18 seasons.

Pretty phenomenal two decade run so far for Silsbee.

Also, since 2005, one could say the Region III championship goes thru Silsbee. Meaning either Silsbee won the region or someone had to beat Silsbee to win the region. Here is the regional champ from 2005:

2005       Diboll (beat Silsbee in final)

2006      WO-S (beat Silsbee in regional quarters)

2007    Hardin-Jefferson (beat Silsbee in final)

2008     Silsbee

2009     Hardin-Jefferson (Silsbee lost to Jasper in semis)

2010     Silsbee

2011     Mexia   (Silsbee lost to Sealy in Area)

2012     La Vega (beat Silsbee in final)

2013     Yates  (beat Silsbee in regional quarters)

2014     Yates  (beat Silsbee in regional quarters)

2015      Houston Sterling (beat Silsbee in final)

2016       Silsbee

2017       Silsbee

2018       Silsbee

2019       Yates (beat Silsbee in final)

2020      Yates (Silsbee lost to Like Waxahachie in semis)

2021      Huffman (beat Silsbee in final)

2022      Silsbee

So in the 18 year span, only 2009, 2011 and 2020 champs were the only ones who did not have to beat Silsbee in the playoffs. The other 15 seasons either Silsbee won it (6 times) lost in the finals (6 times) or lost to the eventual regional champ earlier in playoffs.

NOTE: in 2009, Silsbee did beat Hardin-Jefferson 2 out of 3 games that season. Split in district and won seed game.

18 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Also, since 2005, one could say the Region III championship goes thru Silsbee. Meaning either Silsbee won the region or someone had to beat Silsbee to win the region. Here is the regional champ from 2005:

2005       Diboll (beat Silsbee in final)

2006      WO-S (beat Silsbee in regional quarters)

2007    Hardin-Jefferson (beat Silsbee in final)

2008     Silsbee

2009     Hardin-Jefferson (Silsbee lost to Jasper in semis)

2010     Silsbee

2011     Mexia   (Silsbee lost to Sealy in Area)

2012     La Vega (beat Silsbee in final)

2013     Yates  (beat Silsbee in regional quarters)

2014     Yates  (beat Silsbee in regional quarters)

2015      Houston Sterling (beat Silsbee in final)

2016       Silsbee

2017       Silsbee

2018       Silsbee

2019       Yates (beat Silsbee in final)

2020      Yates (Silsbee lost to Like Waxahachie in semis)

2021      Huffman (beat Silsbee in final)

2022      Silsbee

So in the 18 year span, only 2009, 2011 and 2020 champs were the only ones who did not have to beat Silsbee in the playoffs. The other 15 seasons either Silsbee won it (6 times) lost in the finals (6 times) or lost to the eventual regional champ earlier in playoffs.

NOTE: in 2009, Silsbee did beat Hardin-Jefferson 2 out of 3 games that season. Split in district and won seed game.

2009 Jasper game still makes no sense.  I think Silsbee beat Jasper by 35pts earlier that season. 

Silsbee fought hard against FFA. To their credit FFA figured it out that most of the spot up 3 pt shooters for Silsbee couldn't get open on their own (talking about last season's team). So they guarded the 3 pt line. Harris and Miller were the only ones going to the bucket. Refs called some tacky tack files on Harris and he got in foul trouble... Plus FFA had a serious size advantage.  That one guard they had was one of the better ballers in the state. He did his thing. I think he was a Senior and has gone on.  They just recruit and load up again.

12 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Silsbee fought hard against FFA. To their credit FFA figured it out that most of the spot up 3 pt shooters for Silsbee couldn't get open on their own (talking about last season's team). So they guarded the 3 pt line. Harris and Miller were the only ones going to the bucket. Refs called some tacky tack files on Harris and he got in foul trouble... Plus FFA had a serious size advantage.  That one guard they had was one of the better ballers in the state. He did his thing. I think he was a Senior and has gone on.  They just recruit and load up again.

Yes FFA guard was unreal, he was a senior and I believe the starting 7’ post was a senior as well. Looking forward to see silsbee at the tournament again. Long tough road but I think they can do it.

On 12/29/2022 at 7:35 PM, Hoopin22 said:

Jasper had two very tough guards that year. Last names were Bailey and spikes. Didn’t get to watch silsbee play that year  though.

The first game Jasper did not have Dominique Bailey.  Not sure he was a 40 point difference before he was more than able to play at the Tiger tempo. 

6 hours ago, Hupernikomen said:

The first game Jasper did not have Dominique Bailey.  Not sure he was a 40 point difference before he was more than able to play at the Tiger tempo. 

He was one of the better guards I had the chance of playing against. Pretty tough from anywhere on the floor.

18 hours ago, Kountzer said:

The state semi finals & finals in SA? You’re right that is a long tough road. One game at a time as they say.  I could be wrong but I think that 7’ post is still playing for FFA. 

They had two post that were 7’ one started and one came off the bench for some reason I was thinking one was a senior.

2 hours ago, Hoopin22 said:

They had two post that were 7’ one started and one came off the bench for some reason I was thinking one was a senior.

The state semi finals & finals in SA? You’re right that is a long tough road. One game at a time as they say.  I could be wrong but I think that 7’ post is still playing for FFA. 

The game I saw, which was FFA vs Silsbee in the state semi finals, they had one 7 footer.  He was actually about 6’10”, 6’11” at the most.  He has a Nigerian name.  They had some other big post who was about 6’8”.  That is what I saw.

That 6’10” guy was just a sophomore. He should be a Jr this year.

7 hours ago, Kountzer said:

The game I saw, which was FFA vs Silsbee in the state semi finals, they had one 7 footer.  He was actually about 6’10”, 6’11” at the most.  He has a Nigerian name.  They had some other big post who was about 6’8”.  That is what I saw.

That 6’10” guy was just a sophomore. He should be a Jr this year.

Your right. I didn’t know their exact height, the one who came off the bench was taller and a sophomore. I’ll be back at the tournament this year so I’m sure I will see them again lol.