Dayton (28) @ Port Neches-Groves (35) - FINAL

jdawg03

3 minutes ago, FrodoNDN said:

You guys play clean ball and you can win out. FBM is a baddie but beatable

If Dayton plays defense and doesn’t make any big mistakes, they can be the one to take out FBM. Their offense is better than ours, and FBm isn’t the juggernaut on offense they used to be. So if Dayton can keep it close they can do it 

1 minute ago, 1989NDN said:

Solid Dayton team.  No quit in the Broncos.  Down 14 in the 4Q and they roar back for a 1 point lead...and then PN-G's #19 did his thing.  Anytime #19 steps on the field, he is the best player on the field.  He needs more touches.  I don't care how you get him the ball, throw it, hand it off, snap it to him, whatever, but get him the ball.  Great things, not good things, but great things happen when he has the football in his hands.  Solid game by two good high school teams.

Truth

3 minutes ago, Daytonfan2010 said:

Not understanding why Dayton didn’t give Vernon touches in the first half it could have been a different game. But with that being said good win PNG and good luck the rest of the season 

He plays both ways - I think they were resting him for the  second half.H e did get the almost winning  52 yard TD 4TH  quarter. 

Just now, jayhawk said:

He plays both ways - I think they were resting him for the  second half.H e did get the almost winning  52 yard TD 4TH  quarter. 

I understand he plays both ways but they haven’t gave him rest all season so why start against one of the best teams in the district. I’m not saying they should have gave him the ball every down but even then if you want to rest him switch him and Campbell out at running back and run the ball. Campbell is just as capable of the big plays as Vernon is so why not utilize ur running backs instead of waiting until the 4th quarter and ur down by 2 possessions?

Great game!

I would like to see a replay of the catch PNG made, where the refs spotted it short and turned the ball over.  From where I was sitting the receiver caught the pass and stepped out of bounds ahead of the first down marker. He was standing right at the marker, and he wasn't pushed out of bounds, he stepped out. The refs seemed to have trouble spotting the ball all evening, in fact. 

Another replay I'd like to see is Dayton's final TD. I was watching the linemen and linebackers and missed the play. Suddenly the runner was dashing down the middle of the field all by himself. 

I'm so glad to get this one behind us. I just don't like homecoming games. 

4 hours ago, 1970 said:

Great game!

I would like to see a replay of the catch PNG made, where the refs spotted it short and turned the ball over.  From where I was sitting the receiver caught the pass and stepped out of bounds ahead of the first down marker. He was standing right at the marker, and he wasn't pushed out of bounds, he stepped out. The refs seemed to have trouble spotting the ball all evening, in fact. 

Another replay I'd like to see is Dayton's final TD. I was watching the linemen and linebackers and missed the play. Suddenly the runner was dashing down the middle of the field all by himself. 

I'm so glad to get this one behind us. I just don't like homecoming games. 

#20 Dayton RB (also great on defense) one of the best athletes on the field ran straight up the middle multiple times (not just that play) on that last TD drive. He's a dynamic power runner and good at flicking off weak arm tackles and any tackle period for that matter.    

15 minutes ago, 89er said:

LOL just like in baseball a dink infield hit scores in the books just like a line drive off the wall.... end of the day its a W! 

Your point? - wasn't anybody disputing a W! Your the only one that was blowing hot air about a shut out - learn to be a little more humble like your fellow fans in a win and give credit where credit is due -      (game could of easily went either way -)

13 minutes ago, jayhawk said:

Your point? - wasn't anybody disputing a W! Your the only one that was blowing hot air about a shut out - learn to be a little more humble like your fellow fans in a win and give credit where credit is due -      (game could of easily went either way -)

Message boards are for smack talking LOL..... at the end of the day thats 90% of what takes place on this board. At the end of the day i was 100% ready for an L and was fully prepared to continue talking smack!

17 minutes ago, 89er said:

Message boards are for smack talking LOL..... at the end of the day thats 90% of what takes place on this board. At the end of the day i was 100% ready for an L and was fully prepared to continue talking smack!

Yeah I get it - I like some smack !   Anybody can do it - I don't know about 100% ready for a L at the end of day stuff ? lol- now that's real smack!

Hats off to Dayton they were as advertised bug offensive line, good rb and a qb that could sling the rock. Our offensive coordinator has got to quit rolling out our qb ,the kid cannot throw on the run. He thru a pass straight to the linebacker thank God he dropped it. I said we would have to not turn over the ball on offense and that was what we did. The ints by Dayton were the difference in the game. I feel like we just let them hang around alil to long, had we not missed the fg it would have been a different ending. Seems like our play calling is just run up the middle smh. We have to get alil more creative. But  a win is a win. Now the schedule gets alil easier till the playoffs, should get a playoff home game 1st round not sure who we will play but we need to get healthy in our linebacker department, need Seth and Nick back in there cracking heads!! Good luck to the broncos they should beat Texas City by 21 if they don't turn the ball over, and hats off to their defense the are incredible when tackling in space, almost flawless! Very impressive.

29 minutes ago, biaplayer said:

Hats off to Dayton they were as advertised bug offensive line, good rb and a qb that could sling the rock. Our offensive coordinator has got to quit rolling out our qb ,the kid cannot throw on the run. He thru a pass straight to the linebacker thank God he dropped it. I said we would have to not turn over the ball on offense and that was what we did. The ints by Dayton were the difference in the game. I feel like we just let them hang around alil to long, had we not missed the fg it would have been a different ending. Seems like our play calling is just run up the middle smh. We have to get alil more creative. But  a win is a win. Now the schedule gets alil easier till the playoffs, should get a playoff home game 1st round not sure who we will play but we need to get healthy in our linebacker department, need Seth and Nick back in there cracking heads!! Good luck to the broncos they should beat Texas City by 21 if they don't turn the ball over, and hats off to their defense the are incredible when tackling in space, almost flawless! Very impressive.

Dayton hadn't faced a team that keep the  pressure on our offense it really disrupted them but will be a good lesson going forward. PNG has a strong team and we will be   backing them in the  post season- Good luck !

44 minutes ago, jayhawk said:

If that makes your ego feel good -any team can say that about any game ever played ,goes both ways !

You can say that on an unrealistic note I guess if you want to feel warm an fuzzy. It wasn’t an ego comment, it was reality, 3 chances to score inside the 20 and only have a field goal to show for it. That’s missed opportunities to be up 3 scores. Maybe you saw something different. W is a w. 

39 minutes ago, 1970 said:

There were too many "what-ifs" to count in this game, for both teams. A missed field goal, dropped passes, dropped interceptions, missed scoring opportunities inside the 20, questionable ball spots, untimely flags. It was a good tough hardnosed ballgame. 

So what you are saying is the better team won. ;)

11 hours ago, workbootz said:

I haven't watched a great game like this in a while.  Dayton went away from Vernon after his first touchdown.  I understand he go both ways but you have to give him the ball against a team like PNG.  They also had a lot of dropped balls from the sure hands.  Congrats PNG on the win.

I was at the game.and I can't understand why they wouldn't give him more carries.that kids runs hard and plays very physical fr.

3 hours ago, jayhawk said:

Dayton hadn't faced a team that keep the  pressure on our offense it really disrupted them but will be a good lesson going forward. PNG has a strong team and we will be   backing them in the  post season- Good luck !

Dayton is every bit as expected. This game could have went either way. Congrats on being back Dayton. We have missed you. 

7 hours ago, biaplayer said:

It's looking like PNG with a match up with Huntsville at the REZ. Dayton looking like heading towards a road trip to Montgomery Lake Creek or Brenham.   Still 3 weeks with several different scenarios. 1 even where Dayton could take top seed still with a 3 way tie for the DC

13 minutes ago, Davidp0403 said:

It's looking like PNG with a match up with Huntsville at the REZ. Dayton looking like heading towards a road trip to Montgomery Lake Creek or Brenham.   Still 3 weeks with several different scenarios. 1 even where Dayton could take top seed still with a 3 way tie for the DC

Montgomery would be a tough out !

32 minutes ago, Davidp0403 said:

Something in the back of my mind says Dayton could possibly take FB Marshall.  Friday night, they showed great determination.  I've said before, they are well coached.