NEWTON VS BUNA part II

Guest kvillecheer

See, I thought all Kirbyville was with Newton on this one. Thats ok, I am still pulling for the Wildcats.

sorry. my best friends boyfriend plays for Buna. nothing big i promise. MOST people from here are pullin for Newton though. don't let me fool you.

Guest FPHS 78

Anyone know where i can find game stats on newton from this year?

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschoolsports/results.html?site=default&tpl=Team&Sport=1&TeamID=276&SearchType=Teams

Buna-Newton, Part II

Morgan says Coogs won't be intimidated by Eagles

By JIMMY GALVAN Managing Editor

Buna wrapped up its share of the District 24-2A title with a convincing 42-6 thrashing of Warren Friday, Nov. 9.

The Coogs ran out to a 35- 0 lead and coasted to the victory over the Warriors.

"We had a little letdown after the East Chambers game and I was worried about how we would play this week," said Buna Head Football Coach Bradley Morgan.

So what is Buna's reward for being co-district champion? AThursday, Nov. 15 date with the Newton Eagles in Lufkin at 7 p.m.

"We get to play the Newton Eagles once again," Morgan said.

Last year, Buna advanced to the Class 2A playoffs only to face Newton in the opening round and suffer a 42-7 defeat at the hands of the Eagles.

"You hear the word Newton and it's like Goliath," Morgan said. "Curtis Barbay is known all over the state of Texas as one of the best. You are not going to out-coach him. The thought of outcoaching that staff is not conceivable to us and they have athletes as well."

But that is not to say that Morgan is counting out his Cougars just yet.

"I think we are more improved from last year and I think our kids are more confident than last year," Morgan said. "We are the same kids but they have improved this year. We might be the underdogs but I don't think our kids will be intimidated and I think they will play hard."

Morgan said he doesn't expect any new wrinkles this week in the Newton game plan.

"We're not going to get away from what got us to where we are at," Morgan said. "But we are going to add some special things in just for them. We are going to live on what got us here."

Morgan knows the biggest hurdle that the Cougars will have to overcome is getting past the Newton mystique that surrounds the program.

"I think the intimidation factor that Newton has over everybody won't play a big part as it has in the past," Morgan said. "That will help us."

The match-up is a hard one for Morgan on a personal level. The Buna coach has forged many friendships with Newton coaches and he respects the Eagle program and what it has accomplished.

"It's not that I am intimidated by them but I don't like to play them in the first round," Morgan said. "I like to see them be successful and I think they would like to see us be successful. Both coaching staffs have a lot of respect for each other."

Buna will be wearing their visiting white uniforms for the game. How was that determined?

"Curtis told me I was going to be a visitor," Morgan laughed. "He is like the daddy. He says we are going to do this and I say yes, sir."

Last year, Buna was home and this year's Morgan chose to be the visitor in the playoff game.

In fact, Barbay agreed to play the game on Thursday because Morgan wanted to have his seniors play a playoff game on turf.

"Once Curtis hears you made a promise to your kids, he's going to make sure you can hold up your commitment to your kids," Morgan said. "Curtis is all about the kids. That is what we are in this business for and playing on Thursday night was the only opportunity we would have to fulfill this promise."

GOOD LUCK COUGARS!!!! WE WILL BE THERE BACKING YOU ALL THE WAY!!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder