4A #2 Silsbee vs #3 Booker T Washington

We are pretty thoroughly out manned by Washington as far as the starting 5 go.  

And we won’t be able to run on them in the first half.  But in the second half all bets are off.

I was paying pretty close attention and it looked like they really do play only 6.

They kept McDurmott in when he got his third foul with about 5:30 left in the 3rd.  He pretty much went the whole way.  If he ever did sit it wasn’t for long.  He was worn out today.  He’ll really be sucking air tomorrow midway through the 4th.

If we can keep it within 10 they will wilt in the 4th.

We’ll go in at halftime down by no more than 10.  And then we’ll whittle it down and take over in the last 3 minutes. I say a 6 point win.

44 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

We are pretty thoroughly out manned by Washington as far as the starting 5 go.  

And we won’t be able to run on them in the first half.  But in the second half all bets are off.

I was paying pretty close attention and it looked like they really do play only 6.

They kept McDurmott in when he got his third foul with about 5:30 left in the 3rd.  He pretty much went the whole way.  If he ever did sit it wasn’t for long.  He was worn out today.  He’ll really be sucking air tomorrow midway through the 4th.

If we can keep it within 10 they will wilt in the 4th.

We’ll go in at halftime down by no more than 10.  And then we’ll whittle it down and take over in the last 3 minutes. I say a 6 point win.

Very good analysis.  I agree.  BTW 5 on 5 is a decided favorite.  Going to come down to whether they can hold up.  Playing twice in 24 hours favors Silsbee’s depth as well.  The down side is they didn’t play well today and teams of that caliber don’t usually have back to back poor outings.  Silsbee on the other hand was clicking and played well.  Silsbee also will be on a few less hours rest which sometimes can make a difference.  Booker T plays like they did today, Silsbee by 10.  Lewis will likely bounce back and play much better.  He tends to get a lot of points on teams that press as well.  Will come down to whether the studs score 60-70 points on the tigers and whether that will be enough.  

14 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Yates hadn't gelled yet in the first game.  A third time and it would be even, a toss up.  Yates could have also beaten  LBJ if they had met.

Even after they “gelled,” Washington is just better.  Period.  Better players, superior size, and Yates never gets creative with their schemes.  BTW must have had 20 dunks or more in those games against the back end of that press.  JY played as well as they could have at home in the second outing and still almost lost by double digits.  

Silsbee has a great shot at another trip to state tomorrow.  But don’t get it twisted that BTW and Yates were basically the same team at the end of the year.  Line em up and play 10 right now and BTW wins at least 8 of them. Future is bright for the Lions, but through next season, HISD belongs to Booker T. 

The Tigers of Bush/McCain/Adams period were pretty good at getting the opponents posts in foul trouble, especially in the postseason play. One year they did it against Yates in the Region final and then again against Brazosport in the championship game.  

Some of that would be real handy right about now.  Thing is we'll have to actually foul McDurmott out.  They won't sit him down with even 4 fouls.

7 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Very good analysis.  I agree.  BTW 5 on 5 is a decided favorite.  Going to come down to whether they can hold up.  Playing twice in 24 hours favors Silsbee’s depth as well.  The down side is they didn’t play well today and teams of that caliber don’t usually have back to back poor outings.  Silsbee on the other hand was clicking and played well.  Silsbee also will be on a few less hours rest which sometimes can make a difference.  Booker T plays like they did today, Silsbee by 10.  Lewis will likely bounce back and play much better.  He tends to get a lot of points on teams that press as well.  Will come down to whether the studs score 60-70 points on the tigers and whether that will be enough.  

The thing is, Silsbee did not press Connally very much last night. More of a token pressure.

Silsbee actually went to a 2-3 zone in 2nd half last night which really confused Connally. I wouldn't be surprised if you see that again today.

21 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

The thing is, Silsbee did not press Connally very much last night. More of a token pressure.

Silsbee actually went to a 2-3 zone in 2nd half last night which really confused Connally. I wouldn't be surprised if you see that again today.

That’s the thing about Coach Sigler.  Unlike certain teams over in Houston, he does make adjustments against certain teams.  And the pressure where you just make them uncomfortable bringing it up is fine.  You’re just keeping the ball in front of you and making the guards work.  What doesn’t work well against BTW is the all-out, full court pressure where you are trapping and selling out to try and force turnovers.  What you force against the elite teams is a lot of abuse of their rim after they’ve broken the press. Silsbee’s press is usually just a full court man that they will trap and jump the ball depending on circumstances (as opposed to a diamond and 1, etc.). 

And I know you are well aware of all of that.  Just stating the differences for those who might not be. 

I think it will be difficult for BTW to play with Silsbee for 4qtrs. Playing twice in less than 24hrs and it being a high intense game would favor Silsbee. We all know BTW has the size advantage and the key to beating them is to get them in foul trouble and shoot well. Only going 6 deep, vs a team who can go 8 or 9 is in less than 24hrs will hurt. Silsbee is battle tested vs teams with size playing United twice, Westbrook, and the Dallas Tournament. Box out, hit them 3s, and wear em down Tigers. Silsbee 73-BTW 67 Final Prediction 

10 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

That’s the thing about Coach Sigler.  Unlike certain teams over in Houston, he does make adjustments against certain teams.  And the pressure where you just make them uncomfortable bringing it up is fine.  You’re just keeping the ball in front of you and making the guards work.  What doesn’t work well against BTW is the all-out, full court pressure where you are trapping and selling out to try and force turnovers.  What you force against the elite teams is a lot of abuse of their rim after they’ve broken the press. Silsbee’s press is usually just a full court man that they will trap and jump the ball depending on circumstances (as opposed to a diamond and 1, etc.). 

And I know you are well aware of all of that.  Just stating the differences for those who might not be. 

Who you got?

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

Who you got?

I’m going to take Silsbee 87-85.  May be more of a heart over mind pick, but that’s what I’m going with.  This is the matchup I’ve wanted to see all season (I don’t care as much about the Dallas teams) because they have clearly been the best two teams in our region all year long.  These two have been on a collision course and I’m just glad people will get to see it.  I say “people” because I won’t since the game fell at the exact same time as a game I can’t miss.  Otherwise I would have gladly made the drive to Lufkin.  But I will be following on my phone.  Go Tigers!

I'm going to turn back the clock a bit to 1998/99. Chris Miller who is Drelon Millers dad is a Silsbee basketball legend/Royalty. He was 4A Player of the Year in 1999. He was about 6'3 220lbs. I came home from college and watched them play Livingston in a district playoff that year. Both teams were 9-1. Livingston had two 6'10 post and a decent 6'6 kid off the bench. Miller proceeded to score 45pts 16rebs and and maybe 8 assist in that game. My point is BIG TIME PLAYERS MAKE BIG TIME PLAYS IN BIG TIME GAMES!!! Let's GO TIGERS!!!!