Electric Cars - Fire Sale

Hagar

Ship crossing the Atlantic loaded with electric Porsches & VWs is on fire.  Don’t know what started it (I’ve got an idea).  Crew abandoned ship and it’s still burning.  Won’t be long before these pos cars block up our roads & freeways.  Forewarned is forearmed.

This is the hidden content, please

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

Ship crossing the Atlantic loaded with electric Porsches & VWs is on fire.  Don’t know what started it (I’ve got an idea).  Crew abandoned ship and it’s still burning.  Won’t be long before these pos cars block up our roads & freeways.  Forewarned is forearmed.

Those batteries are far worst for the environment 

40 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Those batteries are far worst for the environment 

Amen.  The stupidity, we’re going to spend untold dollars preparing for them and as it stands now, they’re not going to work.  Look great on paper but in reality just a pos.

39 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Amen.  The stupidity, we’re going to spend untold dollars preparing for them and as it stands now, they’re not going to work.  Look great on paper but in reality just a pos.

To add to

Waste tax dollars (which isn’t new)

And hurt the oil/gas industry in the short term 

but in the long term we all know oil/gas will prevail.

what can we call educated people with no common sense

8 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

To add to

Waste tax dollars (which isn’t new)

And hurt the oil/gas industry in the short term 

but in the long term we all know oil/gas will prevail.

what can we call educated people with no common sense

If your answers were a slot machine, bells would be ringing and 

JACKPOT

would be up on the screen!   😄

• 2 months later...

Old saying - Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.  In this case, build a better pos and whataya get?  Another pos.

Environmentalist should be more concerned about water for a thirsty planet full of people.  The earth may be warming.  It’s always warming or cooling - always has, always will, but if they ruin the water in the aquifers, rivers and oceans with the poison in these millions of batteries, they’d wished they were breathing smog.  You can breathe some pretty bad air and live but you go without good water for a week, you’re a dead man.  It’s okay to be concerned about the environment, but you durn sure need to have your priorities right.

51 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I remember when vape starting getting popular. Videos of them things exploding in people's pockets. Not so much anymore. All technology has a learning/using curve

Agree on that….

what is not discussed with electric cars other than being far more expensive, is when more of them get on the road, Uncle Sam is going to figure out a way to road tax you…..Government is not going to ignore that revenue loss 

2 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I remember when vape starting getting popular. Videos of them things exploding in people's pockets. Not so much anymore. All technology has a learning/using curve

You are correct but…..

The difference being that vaping is a free enterprise. This country, the free market/free enterprise in general was what spurred most of development in history.

If someone can figure out a way to build an electric cigarette that works, is safe, economical and people willing to buy, awesome. That free enterprise is a far cry from the federal government taking trillions of dollars and forcing you to use a product which they are forcing to be created without free market constraints.

There is a huge incentive for people to come up with an economic alternative to fossil fuels. Even if you could come close to matching the average price of a gasoline vehicle, imagine the money you can make (rivaling Elon Musk) if you could come out with a $30,000 electric car that is driven completely on solar power, even if it is cloudy, which would give you basically unlimited mileage for free. How are we charging stations, no additional load to the power grid, etc. What you put the purchase price of a car on the table, short of maintenance the car will not cost you anything for the next 20 years. at the current cost of gasoline, the vehicle would basically be free within a year. You couldn’t produce enough of them as people would be beating  the path for the better mousetrap.

I doubt that electric cigarettes and their improvements happened because the federal government was spending many billions of dollars forcing companies to produce them. 

I don't have the link, but I saw a video clip of a mechanic showing a 2015 electric car that needed a battery... I think it was a GM product.  The cost of the battery was over $6300.  The total job for the battery replacement was gonna be right at $8000.  Except he can't get his hands on the battery right now.  Don't quote me on the specifics.

Not the actual drive motors which could fail, and not any other mechanical component that could fail.  The battery.  Kinda like if your fuel tank on your car one day "went out" and it would take $8k to fix it, if you could even get your hands on a new tank.

I personally don't understand the logic.  You won't be able to buy gas powered lawn equipment in California in a couple of years.  How does a lawn service run all day on battery powered equipment?  The grid fails when we all turn on our heaters or air conditioners at the same time.  How are all supposed to start charging our electric cars, too?  

11 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I don't have the link, but I saw a video clip of a mechanic showing a 2015 electric car that needed a battery... I think it was a GM product.  The cost of the battery was over $6300.  The total job for the battery replacement was gonna be right at $8000.  Except he can't get his hands on the battery right now.  Don't quote me on the specifics.

Not the actual drive motors which could fail, and not any other mechanical component that could fail.  The battery.  Kinda like if your fuel tank on your car one day "went out" and it would take $8k to fix it, if you could even get your hands on a new tank.

I personally don't understand the logic.  You won't be able to buy gas powered lawn equipment in California in a couple of years.  How does a lawn service run all day on battery powered equipment?  The grid fails when we all turn on our heaters or air conditioners at the same time.  How are all supposed to start charging our electric cars, too?  

Yes.

Therein lies the difference in the government mandating something as opposed to the free enterprise system figuring out a solution in order to make a profit.

4 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Yes.

Therein lies the difference in the government mandating something as opposed to the free enterprise system figuring out a solution in order to make a profit.

I got off work on day last week and made a flying trip to Spring and back pulling a trailer.   That's not feasible with an EV.  Pretending that it will work is just folly.

5 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I got off work on day last week and made a flying trip to Spring and back pulling a trailer.   That's not feasible with an EV.  Pretending that it will work is just folly.

I’m not sure what that has to do with my comment but I have never said otherwise.

Does that mean that in 10 or 15 years, technology will not advance to the point of making it possible?

Whether the answer is yes or no, if it does become reality it will be because of free enterprise and not because the government deep in to be so.

Comparing an EV in 2015 to what will be available in 2035 would be like comparing my 1995 Pentium computer to my cell phone. 

8 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I’m not sure what that has to do with my comment but I have never said otherwise.

Does that mean that in 10 or 15 years, technology will not advance to the point of making it possible?

Whether the answer is yes or no, if it does become reality it will be because of free enterprise and not because the government deep in to be so.

Comparing an EV in 2015 to what will be available in 2035 would be like comparing my 1995 Pentium computer to my cell phone. 

I didn’t mean to quote you. The posts aren’t related, lol

i guess my biggest gripe is when government starts taking steps to phase out fossil fuels before we’re ready for electric… and who knows if we’ll ever be ready. 

I totally agree with the problem of everyone charging their vehicles overnight and collapsing the electrical grids. 
The thing is, let’s say fossil fuels get phased out. Only the rich could afford electric vehicles. The rest of us would be riding bicycles. We’’d look like Vietnam. 
Personally, I think fossil fuels are here to stay. 

2 hours ago, baddog said:

I totally agree with the problem of everyone charging their vehicles overnight and collapsing the electrical grids. 
The thing is, let’s say fossil fuels get phased out. Only the rich could afford electric vehicles. The rest of us would be riding bicycles. We’’d look like Vietnam. 
Personally, I think fossil fuels are here to stay

Yes, in some form they have to be. I can’t imagine any electrical technology in less than at least 100 years that can lift 400 people into the air…. unless we go back to dirigibles. 

2 hours ago, baddog said:

Personally, I think fossil fuels are here to stay. 

No doubt about it, unless we can come up with another feedstock for plastics.

Take fuel needs completely out of the equation, still gotta have petroleum.

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Yes, in some form they have to be. I can’t imagine any electrical technology in less than at least 100 years that can lift 400 people into the air…. unless we go back to dirigibles. 

Right now, the limit is 399, but who’s counting? The Hindenburg could only carry 50+5.  I meant for vehicles anyway. 

• 1 month later...

This EV caught fire in a junk yard.  It had been put in there 3 weeks before.  It was first time the Northern California firefighters had an EV fire.  As they doused it with waters it kept reigniting (imagine this on I-45 between Houston & Dallas on a Friday afternoon).  To finally extinguish the blaze they dug a pit.  Put in @ 4,500 gallons of water and submerged the batteries.  They didn’t specifically say how long it took on this fire, but I’d bet several hours.  The article said sometimes it takes 24 hours to extinguish one of these fires.  And to further complicate things, you now have 4,500 gallons of contaminated water soaking into the ground, and ultimately the ground water we consume.

Back to our I-45 scenario - are we going to dig a pit?  Wait until enough water trucks show up to make 4,500 gallons available?  How far is traffic backed up now?  Again, these EV’s look great on the planning board, but they carry tons of baggage, mostly environmental.  The irony is, they’re being pushed to save the environment.  Analogous somewhat to the Left wanting Wind Turbines - which are killing birds by the hundreds.  It’s time for these folks to stop going off half cocked & study what are the results of their actions.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:58 PM, Hagar said:

Old saying - Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.  In this case, build a better pos and whataya get?  Another pos.

Environmentalist should be more concerned about water for a thirsty planet full of people.  The earth may be warming.  It’s always warming or cooling - always has, always will, but if they ruin the water in the aquifers, rivers and oceans with the poison in these millions of batteries, they’d wished they were breathing smog.  You can breathe some pretty bad air and live but you go without good water for a week, you’re a dead man.  It’s okay to be concerned about the environment, but you durn sure need to have your priorities right.

Of course we should be concerned about the environment. Here’s another angle…. Will there be a used vehicle market if all are electric? Who would buy a used vehicle if they know there is not much shelf life left in the battery? Maybe not a deal breaker for some, especially if they can’t afford a new one. Just a passing thought. 

1 hour ago, baddog said:

Of course we should be concerned about the environment. Here’s another angle…. Will there be a used vehicle market if all are electric? Who would buy a used vehicle if they know there is not much shelf life left in the battery? Maybe not a deal breaker for some, especially if they can’t afford a new one. Just a passing thought. 

Good point.  From what I’ve just read, it could cost up to $20,000 for new batteries, so who buys a ten year old vehicle with that potential cost looming in the near future?  Joe, and his Merry Band of Loons have not given any thought of the repercussions of jumping on the EV bandwagon.  That’s scary.