What Has Happened To Nederland????

Guest Nederland Bulldogs

Jake, great post.  We finished about as good as our talent allowed.  This team didn't seem to have the intangibles that past teams had, don't know why, just didn't.  I said this early this year and will stick by it, this was going to be a tough year, especially after losing Sampere, the whole offense was designed for his strengths.  I also said that look out for the next 5, I agree with your assessment, there is going to be another surge in Bulldog football, the next 5 classes coming throug are loaded like the late 90's early 00 teams, gonna be fun.

Jake, it's hard to add much to what you posted. Everything you said rings true. I would like to add soem though. I hope no one ever thinks I am bashing or in any way trying to lay blame for the outcome of the season on any one player. I would never do that.

1. I would like to see our defense leg tackle. We try to hit high and take down, or sometimes it appears we are doing nothing more than tackling the ball....trying to force a fumble. This just doesn't work at all. Guys like Hemmings and the RB for Dayton (both hosses) have to be hit low or they will drag you, which is what happened.

2. The QB in a spread offense has to be more involved in the run game..a la Vince Young. This is a weapon that Sampere brought to the game. I am not knocking Bellow, just comparing the two styles.

3. Our QB coach needs to teach the QB to look off his receivers. Telegraphing your passes makes it too easy for the defense to react when you eye one receiver from the snap. Also need to throw the ball away and not force a play. Give yourself another chance.

4. (Already mentioned) A more experienced o-line next year will surely have more blocking schemes for the RBs.

5. Other than that, I think we're perfect.  ::)

All great points, baddog. Thanks for adding them. If a positive can be taken from not making the playoffs, I think it is this... We will be more hungry next season to prove that '07 was the EXCEPTION not the RULE. It will also make our kids realize that the playoffs are a PRIVILEGE that must be EARNED and not a foregone conclusion because of what we have done in the past. I think we were a little too complacent this season and it bit us in the butt. I am looking forward to the next several years. This will be a wakeup call for the program in my opinion.

I don't know, since I've never been there before, but it must be harder to take missing the playoffs when your use to going than to not make it year after year (until now).  That said, I don't think it's time to panic down in Mid County.  Good program, good tradition, lot of returning letterman and a good freshman bunch coming up for the Bulldogs.  I know the change in scheme is unsettling since you guys didn't make it, but this year there were 4 good teams and the Raiders had destiny on their side.  Everything is cyclical.

I don't know, since I've never been there before, but it must be harder to take missing the playoffs when your use to going than to not make it year after year (until now).  That said, I don't think it's time to panic down in Mid County.  Good program, good tradition, lot of returning letterman and a good freshman bunch coming up for the Bulldogs.  I know the change in scheme is unsettling since you guys didn't make it, but this year there were 4 good teams and the Raiders had destiny on their side.  Everything is cyclical.

I agree...your freshman team looked really good the other night. I expect a few of them to be on varsity next year.

I WISH DJ ALL THE LUCK -HIS NAME WAS CALLED RARELY FOR TACLES BEING MADE I KNOW LUMBERTON AND DAYTON ARE BETTER PROGRAMS THAN OURS RIGHT NOW BUT NOT NEARLY AS GOOD AS THE BIG 12 SO HE WILL NEED ALL THE HELP HE CAN GET.AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED HE WAS THE THIRD BEST PLAYER ON OUR DEFENSE BEHIND GROGAN AND GUITIEREZ

Not from Nederland but I saw the Dogs last two games this season.  It's like Mike East said.  They played far too loose against Dayton & Dayton's passing was tight.  Defense stepped it up in the last game.  They played Lumberton hard all the way thru.  The big problem was the near total lack of running game (except for one impressive run by Cardenas at QB).  Good luck next year.

Guest BIG HOUSE

Hey 77,

That wasn't a bump, IT WAS A TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

AS far as D.J. on defense, only heard his name 3 times all night. Good luck to him @ UT........

D.Ends-----I'll take either of PN-G's,J.Ward #95 of L-Town,and there was one of Dayton's ahead on D.J.......sorry,might not be the popular choice,but these other players are 100% all night long...

It's called REALITY!

For it's first six games, Nederland really didn't play anybody (except for Brenham in week 1).

There hardest three games were in their last four games and they went 1 and 3.

Not a good way to finish the season.

At least Nederland Fans supports and travels with their team.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder