SB Halftime

Hagar

Big discussion on the other site.  Surprisingly  a lot of them liked it.  Me, being ancient, have no use for that type entertainment.  Here was my response:

You folks still have the soft spot on top of your heads 😂.  Rap?  Hip-Hop?  Entertainment?  I suppose for you young folks who haven’t been exposed to real music.  You want a great halftime show, get film and audio for halftime of The Temptations, The Beach Boys, The Four Tops, The Four Seasons, Sam Cooke and Elvis Presley.  You can understand every word and the music is rated G for all audiences.  Making noise with instruments and using lyrics from a limerick about a man from Nantucket may be entertainment of some sort, but I’d hardly call it music.  So let me take My Girl out in my 1964, 409 SS, and I  Can’t Help Myself.  Her name is Dawn and we’ll go Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, and you won’t have to ask me  Are You Lonesome Tonight.

That’s real music.  Take it from an old man.

😂😂😂😂🤣🤣👽🤣🤣😂😂😂😂

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

Big discussion on the other site.  Surprisingly  a lot of them liked it.  Me, being ancient, have no use for that type entertainment.  Here was my response:

You folks still have the soft spot on top of your heads 😂.  Rap?  Hip-Hop?  Entertainment?  I suppose for you young folks who haven’t been exposed to real music.  You want a great halftime show, get film and audio for halftime of The Temptations, The Beach Boys, The Four Tops, The Four Seasons, Sam Cooke and Elvis Presley.  You can understand every word and the music is rated G for all audiences.  Making noise with instruments and using lyrics from a limerick about a man from Nantucket may be entertainment of some sort, but I’d hardly call it music.  So let me take My Girl out in my 1964, 409 SS, and I  Can’t Help Myself.  Her name is Dawn and we’ll go Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, and you won’t have to ask me  Are You Lonesome Tonight.

That’s real music.  Take it from an old man.

😂😂😂😂🤣🤣👽🤣🤣😂😂😂😂

Yes sir!

Ummmm... I expected it to be a little more dynamic, but overall a decent show.  I got most excited when Snoop started c-walking.  Kendrick Lamar's part was not good at all. 

I couldn't help but notice a complete lack of diversity in this season of change.... Eminem was the only white dude out there, artist, dancer, etc....  This new form of racism isn't any better than the old one.

BUT, I totally wasn't bothered by the kneeling.  Kneel all you want.... I just didn't like when it was happening during the National Anthem.  It made about as much sense as yelling "Black Lives Matter" during every moment of silence.  It doesn't matter how important your message is... if you lose the audience because of your delivery, you haven't achieved a thing. 

Prince was the best ever, in my opinion.  

Except for a few oddities, I like early rock & country.  Sometimes a tune will catch my fancy,and I know not why.  For instance Suo Gan, a song from Empire of the Sun.  Don’t understand the words but love the tune.  

Trivia -In case any of you’ve wondered what language it is, it’s Welsh.  And Christian Bale lip-synched it in the movie.

14 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Except for a few oddities, I like early rock & country.  Sometimes a tune will catch my fancy,and I know not why.  For instance Suo Gan, a song from Empire of the Sun.  Don’t understand the words but love the tune.  

Trivia -In case any of you’ve wondered what language it is, it’s Welsh.  And Christian Bale lip-synched it in the movie.

I like a lot of music.  My middle and high school years I was heavy into alt rock and grunge.  College and mid-20s i was big into emo, which most people on here haven't heard of, but know some of the bands most likely.  These days I still listen to all of those styles, but I enjoy old country and classic rock as well.  I can listen to just about anything except for rap, modern country (outlaw country is okay), and some pop.  

I think it's going to be harder and harder to have a "good" Super Bowl Show.   Our musical tastes have gotten so divergent over the last 30-40 years that NO artist is going to please more than a small segment of the population.  I distinctly remember when songs like Michael Jackson/Paul McCartney's, Kenny/Dolly, and even Garth Brooks (Shameless) were huge crossover hits.  These days music is so fragmented that we all have a specific sub-sub-sub genre that we're really into.  I like country, but not mainstream country.  And more specifically the texas/oklahoma brand of country.  Not the classic, the 90s, bluegrass, Americana, or folk... but I do like the newer stuff from parts of Appalachia. Rock, hip-hop, and pop are just as segmented.

This one was good and it was nostalgic.  I don't know who else you can pick that would please a lot of people.  Lady Gaga was good, but just didn't appeal to anywhere a majority of fans.  I thought the same thing when The Who played years ago... I was pumped.  But kids don't remember The Who having the loudest concert ever recorded or them reuniting for Randy Quaid's party at the Astrodome.   Bruno Mars put on a good show, but I honestly didn't know any of his music.  That's going to be a problem going forward.

On 2/15/2022 at 12:50 PM, Hagar said:

An all time favorite movie and that song is spectacular. 

On 2/15/2022 at 7:36 AM, AggiesAreWe said:

Not my type music but I didn't think it was bad.

Not the best ever though like some are saying. IMO, Prince's performance was the best ever.

Abso-freaking-lutely.  I’m not sure if the Prince show is even able to be topped.  There’s a reason so many of the greats call him the most talented musician of all time.  Because he was. 

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Abso-freaking-lutely.  I’m not sure if the Prince show is even able to be topped.  There’s a reason so many of the greats call him the most talented musician of all time.  Because he was. 

Personally, I’m not going to crown him as the most talented musician of all time, but he’s definitely up there. That was a great show he put on. 

3 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Personally, I’m not going to crown him as the most talented musician of all time, but he’s definitely up there. That was a great show he put on. 

Dave Grohl, (mentioned by CB) who I personally think is as talented as anyone in today’s music, has said in many interviews that it’s Prince and then you can argue after him.  It’s obviously just an opinion but I happen to share it.  My favorite though is Clapton’s comment.  When he was asked what it felt like to be the world’s greatest guitarist he replied, “I don’t know.  Ask Prince.”

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Dave Grohl, (mentioned by CB) who I personally think is as talented as anyone in today’s music, has said in many interviews that it’s Prince and then you can argue after him.  It’s obviously just an opinion but I happen to share it.  My favorite though is Clapton’s comment.  When he was asked what it felt like to be the world’s greatest guitarist he replied, “I don’t know.  Ask Prince.”

I like that Clapton comment. Lol. I’m not saying he’s not the most talented guitarist, just not the most talented musician of all time as you stated. And to your point, it’s all just opinion. Rolling Stone magazine has him at no. 33. It’s hard to waive off the likes of Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Duane Allman, Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc. etc. etc.

He’s one helluva guitar player, just not the best in my opinion. 

16 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I like that Clapton comment. Lol. I’m not saying he’s not the most talented guitarist, just not the most talented musician of all time as you stated. And to your point, it’s all just opinion. Rolling Stone magazine has him at no. 33. It’s hard to waive off the likes of Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Duane Allman, Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc. etc. etc.

One of the best, guitar players... the fact that he can play pretty much ANYTHING at that high of a level says something.  Not even counting his vocal abilities or dance moves.  Michael Jackson is considered great, and he can't even play anything.  

This is an example of why he's great.

18 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Many great guitarists. Saying who is “best” really comes down to style. One of my favorites after Page is Gary Moore. Some of his riffs just blow me away. Again, that’s just me. 

55 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

One of the best, guitar players... the fact that he can play pretty much ANYTHING at that high of a level says something.  Not even counting his vocal abilities or dance moves.  Michael Jackson is considered great, and he can't even play anything.  

This is an example of why he's great.

I’ve seen that video many times. Awesome performance. 

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Wow another list Rolling Stone butchered 😏😉

But seriously… how many of those “best guitarist” listed are decent songwriters? Are decent vocalists? Are decent dancers? Or play other instruments very, very well?

Because Prince did it all. 

Is he the best guitarist? Nah… but like it was said, it’s a matter of style and preference. Best all around? I can’t think of anybody better. 

i like to see greatly under appreciated guitarists. Guys who are known as singer but also pick a mean guitar. 

i never knew what a picker Glen Campbell was… he just sang really well, or so I believed. 

Vince Gill is a good picker. Keith Whitley got his start playing bluegrass. Jason Isbell is a little bit of a guitar hero. Sturgill Simpson can flat pick, just to name a few. 

This is the hidden content, please