LUMBERTON 27 VIDOR 28/Final

AggiesAreWe

Watched what I could, read what I could…couldn’t get/find a radio station…oh well.  

From what I could tell, someone forgot to tell l-town it’s a 48 minute game. Vidor did what they had to do in the first half to keep it close and within striking distance. Even with all the penalties and not so great execution on offense…then BAM The Pirates struck! Defense picked up the pressure, offense ground-n-pounded to a win! INT to seal the deal! 

It’s a great day to be a Pirate!!

Key to this game was Ltrain needed to milk the clock the second half which they were unable to do.Vidor moved the ball every time they had it.Vidors defense kept the train from any sustained drives and giving the ball back to their offense time after time and they made them pay. 

7 hours ago, piratevillain said:

train horn any day, no matter what PNG is gonna play it a million times regardless.😂

Much rather play PNG, NED over lcm and l-town. Mid-county brings the fans, passion to every game and vice versa. 

Plenty of open seats on the lcm side when Vidor strolled into town. Saw quiet a few open seats on the visitor side last night. 

No matter the situation…Mid-county is brining it!!

1 minute ago, PirateNole984 said:

Much rather play PNG, NED over lcm and l-town. Mid-county brings the fans, passion to every game and vice versa. 

PNG and Ned definitely bring the fans and the intensity and some time the hatred of being of long time foes. Hopefully we can schedule one of them for pre-district next season - but i doubt it, honestly.

1 minute ago, piratevillain said:

PNG and Ned definitely bring the fans and the intensity and some time the hatred of being of long time foes. Hopefully we can schedule one of them for pre-district next season - but i doubt it, honestly.

Won’t be long and Vidor will be back in 5A. I can see Vidor and Lumberton taking Crosby’s and Barber Hills spot when those 2 move up a classification. 

3 minutes ago, GUNHO said:

Key to this game was Ltrain needed to milk the clock the second half which they were unable to do.Vidor moved the ball every time they had it.Vidors defense kept the train from any sustained drives and giving the ball back to their offense time after time and they made them pay. 

That's what me and @RaiderGirl2010were just talking about this morning. Lumberton plain and simple abandoned the running game and they had no faith in it which is why they couldn't milk the clock like probably would've wanted to. They learned early in the first half that their running game was gonna get shut down.

here's the game stats from last night according to KOGT.

L                     V

First Downs                15                   23

Rushes-Yards          17-21            63-340

Passing                       346                  71

Total Yards                367                 411

Com-Att-Int            18-33-1            5-6-0

Fumbles-Lost            1-0                   1-1

Penalties-Yards        8-61                8-75

Individual Stats

Rushing – L: Jaddon Ward 12-33, Cade McKinstry 1-4, Kyle Marcantel 1-1, Lucas Powell 3-(-17); V: Elisha Simmons 14-96, Layne Wilhelm 19-87, Christopher Dilley 8-39, Austin Rodgers 11-39, Bryce Dubose 4-35, Jason Watson 5-32, Seth Nunez 1-11, Ricky Gall 1-1;

Passing  L: Lucas Powell 18-33-1  346; V: Elisha Simmons 5-6-0  71;

Receiving  L: Brady Fuselier 5-162, Cade Harmon 6-82, Trey Kersh 3-62, Kyle Marcantel 2-21, Kaleb Koch 2-19; V: Braydon Root 3-47, Christopher Dilley 1-17, Elijah Young 1-7;

11 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Wow… that’s gotta be some kind of record.

If I remember correctly the 2003 vidor squad went 2-8 with 6 of those 8 being from 13pts. That was rough. Also didn't help we took a team that ran the option all of their lives and for 1 year we switch to west coast. The vidor qb was the 2nd fastest kid in the district behind chopper williams at central. Option could have been deadly. But..such is life. 

Now as far as the game last night goes - just wow. That was nice. Sidenote - whomever controls that horn for Ltown... honking it while the raider receiver is on his breakaway td.. wait for him to be in the endzone before you fire it up. I honestly thought Lumberton had a better balanced team. Solid team! Real good team even! It felt like one of those games where the opponents were difficult enough on their own, and combined with the td being called back and the halftime clock fiasco... I thought it would just be too much for vidor to overcome. Nothing seemed to go their way. And when things don't go your way, the opponents seems too hard to keep up with... thats usually when kids lose composure and start taking personal fouls. But they didn't. Proud of you, pirates ☠ 

42 minutes ago, TenaciousK said:

If I remember correctly the 2003 vidor squad went 2-8 with 6 of those 8 being from 13pts. That was rough. Also didn't help we took a team that ran the option all of their lives and for 1 year we switch to west coast. The vidor qb was the 2nd fastest kid in the district behind chopper williams at central. Option could have been deadly. But..such is life. 

Now as far as the game last night goes - just wow. That was nice. Sidenote - whomever controls that horn for Ltown... honking it while the raider receiver is on his breakaway td.. wait for him to be in the endzone before you fire it up. I honestly thought Lumberton had a better balanced team. Solid team! Real good team even! It felt like one of those games where the opponents were difficult enough on their own, and combined with the td being called back and the halftime clock fiasco... I thought it would just be too much for vidor to overcome. Nothing seemed to go their way. And when things don't go your way, the opponents seems too hard to keep up with... thats usually when kids lose composure and start taking personal fouls. But they didn't. Proud of you, pirates ☠ 

For most long time Vidor fans the Pirates keeping their composure is the most amazing thing of all.  That will to not lay down and then come back from an almost insurmountable deficit (based on the Slot T) leaves most of us with our mouths open in disbelief.  I’ll admit, I’m still in shock.  Can’t say enough about these young men. 

1 hour ago, TenaciousK said:

Was that back in the Rick Colbert days or farther back than that? He was lightning fast and a great athlete but not necessarily a good QB for that type of offense.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

For most long time Vidor fans the Pirates keeping their composure is the most amazing thing of all.  That will to not lay down and then come back from an almost insurmountable deficit (based on the Slot T) leaves most of us with our mouths open in disbelief.  I’ll admit, I’m still in shock.  Can’t say enough about these young men. 

I hardly got any sleep last night cause I still couldn't believe we pulled out that win last night. Just another testament that this team will not lay over for anyone. I honestly thought the game was to big for them during the first half, and that Pirate team with the moxie that we all know showed up in the second half.

49 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

I'm curious, does these new coaches at Lumberton teach them to wrap up making an open field tackle? Cause more times than not they were all diving at Vidor's legs and our backs we're getting alot extra yards in the second half when they realized they don't wrap up.

Idk what’s going on with that. Some games they wrap up and some they don’t 🤦‍♀️

52 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

I'm curious, does these new coaches at Lumberton teach them to wrap up making an open field tackle? Cause more times than not they were all diving at Vidor's legs and our backs we're getting alot extra yards in the second half when they realized they don't wrap up.

Read that comment on the Kilgore vs Lindale thread several times.  With a 62 to 55 score ( if not at that, close) at end of 3rd Qtr, wasn’t much wrapping up going on.  Defense seems to be a weakness in Dist 9, but the high powered offenses overcome it.

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

Read that comment on the Kilgore vs Lindale thread several times.  With a 62 to 55 score ( if not at that, close) at end of 3rd Qtr, wasn’t much wrapping up going on.  Defense seems to be a weakness in Dist 9, but the high powered offenses overcome it.

Hopefully, the more powerful defenses of District 10 can overcome all those point scores. We've only had one game break 30 and that was LCM for 33. Oviously our defense is no slouch. That being said, to me it looked like our offense went into a panic mode when Vidor starting scoring. They need to keep a level head out there to finish the game like Vidor and LCM did.

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

It seems like that has become a new norm with these high powered offenses. Good defensive play is an afterthought it seems like. Im glad Vidor prides itself on fundamentals on tackling.

6 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

It seems like that has become a new norm with these high powered offenses. Good defensive play is an afterthought it seems like. Im glad Vidor prides itself on fundamentals on tackling.

If they tackle like the highlight reel shows, I think we can hang with them and even slow them down.