How did everyone do this weekend? DEER

bronco1

I hunt near Roganville south of Jasper and it was not good.  I was on the stand 11 hours over the weekend and only saw a spike.  We had about 10 hunters on three different parcels of land and only 3 deer (small 8 point, spike, and doe) and 2 hogs were killed.  Most didn't see anything all weekend. 

I hope the cool weather gets them moving. 

Good luck on your next outing!!!

I don't think the deer were moving much this weekend in east Texas. Listening to the other leases surrounding ours on opening day usually sounds like a war zone. I think I heard 3 shots in the morning and two more in the afternoon. The other members of my lease didn't see much either and we have been seeing a lot on our game cams and when bow hunting recently. Either the deer just didn't move much or maybe some of the hunters have gotten a little wiser and quit shooting small deer in east Texas. My vote is for the deer not moving however.    ;D

i hunt out in kirbyville and i heard plenty of shots but out of 3 hunts i seen 9 different bucks, did not see a doe or yearling which really suprised me and i had a shot at a nice 8 point right at dark about 240 yards but i chocked!!!  :'(

but out of 35 hunters all we had killed was a 8 point that field dressed at 150 a 5 point that needed to be shot and that was it i believe

We had three bucks killed on our lease in Newton over the weekend.  Overall it was a little slow but the bucks are cruising looking for does and you just never know whe muy will walk by.  There were three bucks killed opening weekend: 138 BC 9 pt., 136 BC 10 pt. and my lucky a$$ brother -in-law killed the 12 pt that I posted a picture of on here, scoring 150+ BC, he was a monster weighing about 200 lbs.  Funny thing is that he killed him a mile and a half from where we got his picture.  All I saw were a bunch of nannies.  :(

I'm going crazy! Can't wait to get in the stand. Can't go until thanksgiving weekend though. My lease is in Ozona and I'm not driving way out there for a day and a half then have to turn around and drive back.  ;D

Ozona, might as well be Arizona, that is a long way.

...............Funny thing is that he killed him a mile and a half from where we got his picture.  All I saw were a bunch of nannies.  :(

I have about 3,000 pictures on game cams since September and this last week I got a pic of an 8 and maybe a 10 point that I have not seen before. I think they are really starting to move into the rut.

The "searching " phase of the rut is my favorite time to hunt because you just never know what will walk by and you better be ready to shoot because he might not come back until next year.  Once they start tending does it gets a little tougher because they tend to stay in the thick stuff but its still better than post rut.  The big bucks still aren't running does yet so this weekend should still be good.

Ok, here is a legit 175 BC typical 13 point from my buddies game cam -

this buck is on the Killam ranch near Freer.

In a couple of years, he ought to be a shooter.  ;D

I don't think he looks that old. He is just a big deer. Assuming that it is a good picture of him, his belly isn't that big and his back is still fairly straight. A 4 1/2 maybe?

In a couple of years, he ought to be a shooter.  ;D

I don't think he looks that old. He is just a big deer. Assuming that it is a good picture of him, his belly isn't that big and his back is still fairly straight. A 4 1/2 maybe?

Well, your close - he's 5 1/2 - my buddies got him on film for the last 4 years - 2 1/2 yrs at 10 point, 3 1/2 yr at 10 point, 4 1/2 yr at 11 point, and now at 5 1/2 he's got 13.

Here is another view -

Big13lookingup.jpg

I too think he's 4 1/2 at 5 1/2 he should have more of a 'pot belly' along with a slight sway in back, no dought a good buck and most ranchers would insist you let walk another yr. Now back to the topic this past week we have taken 3 bucks along with a cpl of does here in Hardin Co. We had a 'Spots n Dots' guide from Venice La down to hunt with us this week, he took home 2 does and a small buck. My dad got a 17 1/2" 5pt that was 3 1/2 y/o that should have been wacked as a yearling, no brow tines with  2" points. The other buck was a typical 8 @ 2 1/2 y/o. Management here in E Texas is "if you dont manage to get a 10 a 8 will be good and if you dont manage to get a 8 a 6 will be fine" The bottom line is a Trophy is in the eyes of the beholder.

On a lease, I can never understand why someone even wants to shoot a year and a half old 4-6 point that weighs 95 pounds (maybe) but in east Texas, that seems to be the norm.

"If it's brown, it's down".

oh thats not my philosphy "if it has a spot it gets shot"  :D not really im jk but yea after seeing them pictures i think i need to go check my pance.....

Guest b-a-g fan

We have two stands a little over 3 hundred yards from each other on 255 in newton county . ME and my dad have shot four bucks from these two stands one 16 and half inch spread 8 point and a nine  and the other two were 8s  most right at dark  seen lots of does some smaller bucks . haveing a great year :o :o

We had alot of good deer moving this weekend down south.  My buddies kid shot a nice 8 point that is leading Los Cazadores big 8 contest.  His name is Palmer and as of today he is in 1st place.  Here is the link -

http://www.loscazadorescontest.com/category.asp?contest_id=10&division_id=1002&category_id=8&cat_div_id=1723

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder