Carthage vs Crosby

Cougar14.2

30 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Lol, I'm sure if they had their 3,000 yard/50td running back from last season it would've been a different story. Looking at y'alls schedule from last year he would've been the highest rated player Carthage faced per the composite rankings. 

You would be wrong actually played against 2 that were higher and 1 that was just a few spots lower and all played on same team

12 minutes ago, Bansheefan said:

And as far as kip goes if he had a little more size he could easily be a five star that's the only measurable tangible he is lacking in is on the smaller size as far as build for a lb

Lots of kids would be a 5 star if. there's a reason there are 5 stars and 4 stars. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Weight room has never been our issue, we may have just won our first 4x100 title but we have had a bunch of individual powerlifting champions and state finalist over the years. O-line paved the way for 3,400 rushing yards last year. Of our playoff opponents Huntsville is really the only one that shut down Crosby's running game. We had 35 carries for only 90 yards against them. Texas high we had 32/352, 42/284 against FB Marshall and 28/237 against Aledo. The question is can Crosby's offensive staff beat some of the defensive schemes that slowed us down last year?  

Team strength. Yall need to get strong along the lines. Just my opinion.  

3 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

Lot's of 4-stars have intangibles, what makes you a 5-star is the measurable on top of the intangibles. 

Like I said above you will have a chance to see with your own eyes and you are correct that's why there are alot of superstars that emerge that were low are barely ranked in college ball and some highly ranked players that wash up its just an educated guess don't mean a projected 4 star player is not better then a projected 5star

1 minute ago, Bansheefan said:

Just cause we are 4a does not mean we don't regularly see a lvl player that is in 5 or 6a

No it just means you rarely see the overall across the board quality of athlete. You'll still see some top end athletes that's inevitable. 

Example. 

Texas high who we beat in the 2nd round last year had the following 

4 Star LB whos now at Oklahoma 

4 Star Edge whos committed to Texas 

3 Star running back with 7 D1 offers 

and another edge rusher committed to a D1 School. 

The defense had allowed 13 ppg in 11 wins. 

Played the cougars? final Score? 62-42 With the cougars maintaining a 21 point advantage basically from the end of the first half. 

So everyone had prospects. 

Like I said above a few standout players does not mean anything if they don't have the other pieces around them I would argue there ranking / numbers givin up really don't mean much considering teams they played 5a d2 around here is not good at all and routinely get blown out by the better 4a teams 

Just now, Bansheefan said:

Like I said above a few standout players does not mean anything if they don't have the other pieces around them I would argue there ranking / numbers givin up really don't mean much considering teams they played 5a d2 around here is not good at all and routinely get blown out by the better 4a teams 

O right a consistent team of stars. So Fb Marshall with 6 3-star players and a 4-star wide out? 

It's a dumb hill to die on trying to pretend 4AD2 has the consistency or depth of higher divisions. Yall have some superstars 100%, but it's a deluded belief to say you play the same level of competition. 

1 minute ago, Cougtalk said:

O right a consistent team of stars. So Fb Marshall with 6 3-star players and a 4-star wide out? 

It's a dumb hill to die on trying to pretend 4AD2 has the consistency or depth of higher divisions. Yall have some superstars 100%, but it's a deluded belief to say you play the same level of competition. 

I 100% agree on that one thing that has set carthage apart from rest of 4a and especially 4ad2 is we do have abnormal depth for a school our size  with 0 kids going both ways 

18 minutes ago, aledoalumni said:

Team strength. Yall need to get strong along the lines. Just my opinion.  

We can always be bigger in the trenches which is what I think you’re actually alluding to but pound for pound you’re not going to find many schools in all of 5A that can match Crosby in the weight room. Our average squat on the offensive line last year was right around 500lbs. 

Before we started winning a couple of games we used to be a punchline in the area because we would walk in and dominate a 6A meet but couldn’t get it to relate to the field. I’ve seen multiple linemen squat over 600+lbs at Crosby. We even had a kid on the d-line a couple of years ago what was approaching 800lbs. 

The kids in the trenches at Spring Westfield, which produces kids like Ed Oliver and Keondre Couburn, are stronger and more athletic than the kids in the trenches at Katy. Every now and then Katy lands a Malick Sylla but in a normal year Westfield has them. Katy would line up and run for 350 yards on Westfield though. Not because they’re stronger but because they have a tougher to defend scheme and execute it with perfection. Katy can also match them size-wise which would negate some of the athletic advantage. Katy would never ever beat North Shore and Duncanville would’ve dominated SLC of strength was a huge factor. 

30 minutes ago, Bansheefan said:

I 100% agree on that one thing that has set carthage apart from rest of 4a and especially 4ad2 is we do have abnormal depth for a school our size  with 0 kids going both ways 

For 4AD2 yall have exceptional depth. But when you play a good 5AD2 team you are average. You dont have that same advantage. Crosby is not Marshall. 

1 hour ago, Bansheefan said:

You will know what I'm talking bout once you seem him play some things can't be measured or taught

Heard the same thing from Texas High fans in regards to Clayton Smith who was a lot higher ranked than Lewis and had exponentially better film than he does to this point. I don't remember him really doing anything of consequence. Lewis is a lot closer to what Crosby saw out of current UT commit Derrick Brown. Lewis is the same size as our starting running back, we have had trouble with smaller backers like Brian Johnson at Manvel but 90% of the plays I'm watching Lewis make are because he's clean. That won't be the case with Crosby. 

1 hour ago, Bansheefan said:

Neither team is bringing players that the other has not seen before as far as skill set but carthage will be bringing the highest rated player between the 2

IDK, looking at Carthage's schedule the last five years I don't see any 5A's y'all have played that have state championship 4x100 speed. Crosby is going to be seeing multiple players of Lewis' caliber the next two weeks against Manvel and Port Arthur Memorial. 

8 minutes ago, house said:

Coach Surratt was a pallbearer few days ago for a covid victim and the football team has apparently been hit with cases.  I'm hearing they will be short manned but looks like the game will be played.  

Hate to hear that. If Crosby wins I want it to be because it was good on good. Even though Chris Marshall did multiple dumb things to get himself ejected from the regional final game it still somewhat bothers me that he wasn't on the field when we beat them. 

Just read in the Carthage paper (Panola Watchmen)

Carthage will be missing many starters due to COVID. 
Coach Surratt said a lot of young players will be getting experience against a very good team. 
Coach Surratt said the Dawgs won’t play another team this year with the speed and said they are very athletic. 
He mentioned several of their players and how good they were. 
He said the Dawgs will playing both QB’S and said the Dawgs will have to play really good to win. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

IDK, looking at Carthage's schedule the last five years I don't see any 5A's y'all have played that have state championship 4x100 speed. Crosby is going to be seeing multiple players of Lewis' caliber the next two weeks against Manvel and Port Arthur Memorial. 

I guess we should just be happy to be able to play such a well known dominate team huh? Lol 

17 minutes ago, Horton said:

Just read in the Carthage paper (Panola Watchmen)

Carthage will be missing many starters due to COVID. 
Coach Surratt said a lot of young players will be getting experience against a very good team. 
Coach Surratt said the Dawgs won’t play another team this year with the speed and said they are very athletic. 
He mentioned several of their players and how good they were. 
He said the Dawgs will playing both QB’S and said the Dawgs will have to play really good to win. 

I am sincerely sorry to hear that. Its hard to bury people in your community and then gear up for a football game while playing shorthanded and possibly even being infectious. I had planned on going tomorrow but now I am just going to wish everyone from both communities the best.