If Lamar had a football team.....

LionHeart

Guest abovetherim

I did an interview with the former LU AD back in the 90s as a reporter for the Lamar paper, then the Enterprise. College football for LU is a money-losing proposition according to him (Billick), even if they win every regular-season game. He told me, "Even a losing basketball team is less of a financial burden than a winning football team for a smaller school."

Well (Billick) forgot about the boost in school pride and tradition football would bring. Then he too forgot Lamar's student enrollment would increase at least 10-20% which would give Lamar $5-6 million dollars in state funding. So, let's say he is right (Billick) "a winning football program would still be a financial burden". A extra $5-6 million annually would ease this burden.

I know there are a lot of people who want football back at Lamar probably more than I do. This includes the current Cardinal Club president Mr. Messina. I believe he played football for Lamar University.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree Dennis - If the team wins then people will come watch regardless of where the recruits are coming from.  Look at Oklahoma - the majority of their kids are from Texas, but those Okies come out every Saturday to watch those kids play.

If Lamar fielded a team of 22 kids from Mexico, and they were winning, the stands would be full.

I don't think so but you maybe right. Would the area back them if they went 5-5,6-4 I don't think so. If you had SOME local kids on the team your LOCAL support would be there. Lets not forget about band support and so on. If Lamar has a team with NO LOCAL kids playing and a LOCAL high school is playing the same day I'm going to watch the LOCAL teams play and so will alot of other LOCAL people. This has been a problem in the past I hope we do not repeat history. If Lamar has LOCAL players on there team I will be there supporting them.

Guest coachacola

Very few schools make money from athletics so Lamar knows they will lose money with football.  But if most schools can afford football then Lamar can too.  As others have pointed out, it's more than money: it's about school spirit, it's giving Lamar name recognition, it's about increasing enrollment, etc.

The trick is how quickly they can get a winning program going, and given the lack of success they had the first time, the honeymoon period won't last that long.  The key will be Tubbs hiring the right head coach, because after 3 or 4 years, they better be winning or everyone will be saying "here we go again..."!!

Guest abovetherim

As some of you guys know, I have two nephews and a niece attending Lamar. I was just notified this evening that a student referendum to add a student athletic fee is the next step toward adding football at Lamar University. Discussing this with family members my gut feeling is this will pass easily. Like I told my family, now is the time to rally the troops! ;)

I was told directly by an athletic official a few months ago Coach Tubbs and Dr. Simmons both told this person football was returning to Lamar University. This is the most I've heard since this conversation and I must admit I'm really excited.

As some of you guys know, I have two nephews and a niece attending Lamar. I was just notified this evening that a student referendum to add a student athletic fee is the next step toward adding football at Lamar University. Discussing this with family members my gut feeling is this will pass easily. Like I told my family, now is the time to rally the troops! ;)

I was told directly by an athletic official a few months ago Coach Tubbs and Dr. Simmons both told this person football was returning to Lamar University. This is the most I've heard since this conversation and I must admit I'm really excited.

When is the vote?

If Lamar had a football team.... they probably wouldn't announce it. I am not going to hold my breath about this. I have been hearing this since I was in school there and that's almost 5 years ago. It's like Lamar and A&M ('06) have the same thing in common "Next year". I hope they do get a football team, and can win. I would hate to see Lamar finally pump money back into this, just to see it all fail. Recruiting in the GT would be important, but they need to go to SA, Houston and up here in DFW. I'd help them up here. I coach and see some outstanding football. If they go D1, good luck. I know I am tired of hearing and reading about the return of football, just for it not to happen. Hopefully the "powers to be" can bring it back.

Guest coachacola

The latest rumor I heard is that the students will vote on the athletic fee in January.  The board of regents still have to approve the return of football, but there's no reason for them to deny it.

2010 is becoming too optimistic.  There has got to be time for facility improvements, coaching search, and allowing those coaches to recruit.  Recruiting begins with jrs. in high school.  So basically we're looking at the '09 hs season as being "the" year/group with next season as the beginning of recruiting.  Of course LU will have several jr. college guys, but still the time is now or this magical 2010 can't/won't happen.

Well this season is a wash with this season's kids signing in February '08.  The '08 hs season signs in Feb '09 and the '09 hs season Feb '10.  I do not have anything confused.  LU would have to announce something before the year is out.  Then a coaching search begins.  The head coach then has to assemble his assistants before any recruiting occurs.  Those sorts of things do not just happen quickly if LU is serious and wants an impactful coach.  There are only 2 springs to legitimately get kids.

Guest abovetherim

One thing I can say without causing a debate is this topic (football returning to Lamar) is the most read, has the most post in this forum and appears to be a passionate topic among Lamar supports and those who may be riding the fence. The last time I counted this thread had been read over 700 times with over forty post. By far the most on this forum.

Well this season is a wash with this season's kids signing in February '08.  The '08 hs season signs in Feb '09 and the '09 hs season Feb '10.  I do not have anything confused.  LU would have to announce something before the year is out.  Then a coaching search begins.  The head coach then has to assemble his assistants before any recruiting occurs.  Those sorts of things do not just happen quickly if LU is serious and wants an impactful coach.  There are only 2 springs to legitimately get kids.

It might be possible a coach search is already happening or maybe a coach is already picked. Maybe the assistant is already picked too. It's possible.

Guest abovetherim

There was a very well known college coach visiting the area last month. Now, I'm not saying he visited with LU officials but he was in the area for a few days.

I think this person even if he turned down Lamar as a head coaching prospect would be willing to help as a consultant. He is a native Texan and you can tell he cares about the area.

Just a few numbers to remember from a TSUS meeting this past summer.

Facility                                             Amount                 Date

Softball Field                                      $1.2m                   2009

Field house, (soccer, softball, baseball)   $3.5m                   2009

Cardinal Stadium Renovation                  $6.5m                   2009

Higgens Field house Renovation              $3.6m                   2009

Vincient Beck Synthetic turf                  $0.95m                  2009

Vincient Beck Renovation                      $5.0m                    2012

http://www.tsus.edu/regents/minutes/Regular%202007%20Feb.pdf

If you add the numbers 6.5m + 3.6m + 0.95m+ 1.5m = $12.55m for Cardinal Stadium. If a private donor or corporate sponsor can match this amount it would be $25.1 million. They could have the naming rights and Lamar would have a $25 million dollar football facility to play their home games. I doubt TSU or McNeese State have $25 million invested in their football stadiums. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami