Area                French 48 La Porte 19

Regional            French 22 Houston Sterling 14

Qtr Finals          French 24 Galveston Ball 13

Semi Finals        French 22 San Antonio Madison 12

Finals              French 21 Odessa Permian 21

Also in the historical forum... 

link--->

This is the hidden content, please

...but I have a feeling most people don't realize these are even there.

This is all of the games I have for 22-5A for the 1984 season...  I'm missing 5 of the 10 scores for French for the regular season but I know who won each game, and I know who the opponent was for all except weeks 2 and 3.  The 1-0, 0-1 and 1-1 are indicators of wins, losses or ties for games that I don't know the actual scores.

French actually tied with WO-S for 2nd place in district that year but they got the 2nd playoff spot due to beating us in the head-to-head match.  I remember that WO-S still had a chance to make the playoffs going into week 10 if French were to lose to B-C-P, which of course was an EXTREMELY unlikely event, and didn't happen...  the ironic thing was the very next year, B-C-P came out of nowhere, and demolished French 35-7 in week 10 of 1985, stealing the 2nd playoff spot away from both West Brook and defending state champ French.

19845a22.gif

French was the 3rd 22-5A team to face Odessa Permian in the State Finals in less than 10 years.  PN-G beat them in 1975, TJ lost to them in 1980, and French tied them in 1984.

I've got the district results just like the one above for over 100 different districts/seasons including the results for every largest classification district in SE Texas back to 1951 except for 1980 and 1981....

Ok, then they changed it.  For the 10+ years they listed it on or around the page where the teams preview was located.  I would have thougt it would have been listed by Beaumont Central since French closed the following year, but if you have access you know better than me.  I will post if I come across something. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but seems like I recall this

game being televised and perhaps one of the first

state championships to be shown live on TV.

actually the French-Permian game was the second championship game to be shown statewide with the first being Converse Judson and Midland Lee from 1983...Speaking of that does anybody remember Channel 6 showing a few years later the WO-S Rockwall championship game from 87 with Dan Gresham up in the booth

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder