Coach Of The Year??

I nominate Chad Landry at Hamshire Fannett-----

He has taken a team that was really not even considered in preseason as a playoff contender; a team that does not have colleges "pounding" at the door (one scholarship signee--Joey Johnson), and done the following:

Victories over LCM, Jasper, Dayton, Huffman, Woodville, Kelly,

Compiled a 20-5 record

Tied for 2nd in 24-3A (tiebreaker went to HJ)

You don't hear about over powering pitching at HF (there is not an Angelle or Elhert that shuts the opposition down).

What you do hear about is good fundamentals, sound defense, and good team play--all the things that reflect good coaching.

How can you argue with the stats?

Coach Landry should win easily!!!!!!!!!

Guest airitout123

Silsbee Coach Todd Trawhon. When he took the SHS baseball job no one else wanted it. His first year he barely had enough to field a JV team. At one time, they had to cancel JV games beacuse they did no have enough to play.

He was instrumental in getting the facilities up tp par. He has spent countless hours working on that field to get it to a respectful level.

He developed a program for the SHS players. He has cotinually improved and to win the district championship this year is a phenonal for SHS baseball.

20-6 overall, 10-0 in district. Coach Trawhon: Coach of the year.

Coach Trawhon from Silsbee!

20-6 season, 10-0 in district!

Best season that I can ever remember in 30 years!

Big wins: HF,WO(2),Jasper(2),Kelly

Big mix of players thru the year! 4 seniors, 3 juniors, 6 soph. and 2 fresh played

at sometime during the year. Two soph. played all 26 games this year!

What a year for Coach Trawhon and the other Coaches(Coach Dennis,Mark and Moore)!

Hello Slim!!!

Let's see here:

27-4 and a 20 game win streak, Beats #1 BC @ BC 5-1, has played mostly 10 players all year. Not to mention hit career win #300 this year. Will send his entire lineup to the next level?

This team was hyped heavy by a few and told no way by others only to prove they are a fine team.

Griff is the Best coach in the area, when it comes to game stratagy no one is better....

Guest airitout123

I agree Bears. He is in my opinion the best coach in the area. However, I picked Trawhon from Silsbee because he has brought the Silsbee program up from nothing.

The LCM needs to share the wealth. :lol:

I agree with Trawhon being the coach of the year.....Not taking anything away from the other coaches but when you have the caliber talent that LCM and PNG have year after year its not hard to turn that into winning.....That doesn't mean Silsbee isn't talented, but those two schools put out player after player into D1 schools to play baseball.....Silsbee doesn't have guys that throw 88-90 MPH, They have a few good players and most of them are average. In the three years he has been there he has improved each year. Sub .500 in 1st, 1st trip to playoffs in 8 years in his 2nd year, and this year he has done something that hasn't been done in around 20 years, win a district title!10-0. I'm sure all these coaches plead good cases but I think he should get it hands down.

Does talent alone win games year in and year out like Griff and Stone does? LCM was really bad when Griff took over that program. Griff develops players, but more importantly have you ever watched him manage a game, The only difference between LCM and BC thursday night was Griff, and i have watched him do this year after year.Many of Griif's players get scholarships because he goes to bat for them, and college coaches know they have been taught how to play the game the right way,and they know they are getting good kids. But check out LCM's website many players get scholarships, but few are Div 1. If talent alone won games PA Memorial would have won many football titles by now, check how many Div1 scholarships they have a year.If Griff went to any school in this area regardless of classification, soon after they would be winning big. Over 300 wins, playing teams like Brenham, Texas City Montgomery etc, in pre-district every year, and in maybe the toughest 4a district in the state,talent alone want get it, because Coaches' like Long , Heard, Stone and Young also have talent and are great coaches.You can vote for who you want to, but don't try to make your point by trying to discredit a great coach like Griff.

Naming a 'Coach of the Year' depends on a lot of variables. Is it the guy who had that 'once in a lifetime' season, where everything went right? The guy who makes good talent into a great team? Etc, etc....

1. First, a couple of people who exceeded expectations -- Trawhorn (Silsbee) and Landry (HF).

The program at Silsbee has grown from one that (2 years ago) couldn't pull up another player to their varsity because they needed 9 guys to field their JV team into the undefeated district champs. An outstanding achievement.

HF probably defeated more 'name' teams early in the season than anyone (knocking off Jasper, LCM) before returning to earth in April. Still, a 20 win season when no one really saw them as a playoff contender is exceptional.

2. Next, an explanation why I wouldn't vote for Moses at HJ. The Hawks made a great run to make the playoffs but, at 14-12, that isn't 'Coach of the Year' material. A great job but probably not equal to the job of others, including Trawhorn.

3. Third, why not Billy Bryant at BC? They are a dominant 3A team and the odds-on favorite to return to Austin in June. Still, it is hard for me to say he did much with all of the talent he had other than point them toward the field and say 'go play'. That is not meant to be harsh, it is just a simple fact. This team has more D1 signees than any other team in the area (Angelle and Haymon) -- they were supposed to be as good as they are right now.

4. And, last -- who do I think it should be? Griff. No question he has a talented team but they have transcended that talent. They have won 20 in a row...went undefeated in a very, very tough district...and proved who was the better team (and had the better coach) last Thursday vs. BC. His career record is noteworth but this season (so far) has been something special. And, before we hear anymore about it being 'just' the talent -- he only has one D1 player (Ehlert) on his roster. ... the same number as PNG (Harwood) and Nederland (Smith). Its something more than just talent...its the coaching and Griff has done a remarkable job.

For what its worth (and maybe not much), he gets my vote.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder