Floyd Died From An Overdose Of Fentanyl - Not From Being Choked Out By Minneapolis Police!

Reagan

11 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

How so? 

Everyone's favorite 69 Charger, the General Lee, as one teeny, tiny example.

If I say "yeah, my great-great grandfather was a Godly man, a timber man, the third Sheriff of Beauregard Parish, Louisiana, and a Major in the Confederate Army,"  guess what?....he was a white supremacist. 

1 minute ago, CardinalBacker said:

Everyone's favorite 69 Charger, the General Lee, as one teeny, tiny example.

If I say "yeah, my great-great grandfather was a Godly man, a timber man, the third Sheriff of Beauregard Parish, Louisiana, and a Major in the Confederate Army,"  guess what?....he was a white supremacist. 

Wouldn’t want to take anything from your grandfather. Sounds like he’s a good man. But if he fought in the Confederate Army chances are he was a white supremacist. One of the main goals of Confederacy was to keep blacks in their place. Blacks were seen as 2/3 of a human amongst the confederacy and their goal was to keep it that way. I’m not holding it against your grandfather because I know that was the norm back then. But I find it strange that you would be proud of that part of his legacy in these modern times. My suggestion would be that you continue to hold your grandfather in high regards as a hard working, godly guy who upheld the law as a sheriff. If you want to be proud of his membership in the confederate army knowing what you know about it in these modern times I have to question that. 

1 minute ago, stevenash said:

Obviously, it does not fit the narrative by virtue of that fact.   Do you  think that cities named Lynchburg should change their names?

1. What narrative?

2. I don’t care about cities changing their names but it’s hilarious how upset you guys get about it 

2 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

Wouldn’t want to take anything from your grandfather. Sounds like he’s a good man. But if he fought in the Confederate Army chances are he was a white supremacist. One of the main goals of Confederacy was to keep blacks in their place. Blacks were seen as 2/3 of a human amongst the confederacy and their goal was to keep it that way. I’m not holding it against your grandfather because I know that was the norm back then. But I find it strange that you would be proud of that part of his legacy in these modern times. My suggestion would be that you continue to hold your grandfather in high regards as a hard working, godly guy who upheld the law as a sheriff. If you want to be proud of his membership in the confederate army knowing what you know about it in these modern times I have to question that. 

Oh, that wasn't my great-great grandfather... mine was probably a wine-headed woman fighter.

It's not that simple.  I realize that from the safety that comes from living in 2020, it's easy to look at grand motives, etc... you don't have to worry about what would happen if you chose not to stand with your neighbors.  People who refused to side with the colonists in the 1770s didn't have it easy.  Same thing happened in the Civil War.  Let's just pretend that you were a Southerner who was opposed to slavery and refused to support the new government.  Would you abandon all that you'd worked for and move north? Would you fight against your friends and family? Do you think Sherman spared abolitionists' places during his march to the sea? 

Why should I be ashamed if my ancestor picked up arms to defend his home from an invading army?  Or held off the Yankee warships with three cannons at Sabine Pass? Or ran out of ammunition at Lookout Mountain and pushed boulders down on the Yankees until they were overrun and killed?  Or fought bravely and then died against immeasurable odds at the Alamo?  Or lost a boxing match?  

There's a reason we still cheer for the fighter who gave his all and came up short....  Or at least we used to. 

10 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Oh, that wasn't my great-great grandfather... mine was probably a wine-headed woman fighter.

It's not that simple.  I realize that from the safety that comes from living in 2020, it's easy to look at grand motives, etc... you don't have to worry about what would happen if you chose not to stand with your neighbors.  People who refused to side with the colonists in the 1770s didn't have it easy.  Same thing happened in the Civil War.  Let's just pretend that you were a Southerner who was opposed to slavery and refused to support the new government.  Would you abandon all that you'd worked for and move north? Would you fight against your friends and family? Do you think Sherman spared abolitionists' places during his march to the sea? 

Why should I be ashamed if my ancestor picked up arms to defend his home from an invading army?  Or held off the Yankee warships with three cannons at Sabine Pass? Or ran out of ammunition at Lookout Mountain and pushed boulders down on the Yankees until they were overrun and killed?  Or fought bravely and then died against immeasurable odds at the Alamo?  Or lost a boxing match?  

There's a reason we still cheer for the fighter who gave his all and came up short....  Or at least we used to. 

I took all those factors in consideration. Never said you should be ashamed. I said you shouldn’t be proud of which side he fought on. Meaning you shouldn’t be waiving a confederate flag around like it’s some great thing. 

8 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

I took all those factors in consideration. Never said you should be ashamed. I said you shouldn’t be proud of which side he fought on. Meaning you shouldn’t be waiving a confederate flag around like it’s some great thing. 

Are you offended by the flags of African countries, or even seeing the shape of Africa posted with all of the violence and genocide that occurred there and is still ongoing today?  It blows my mind that someone who prefers to be called "African-American" would even examine other peoples' history... I mean I really, really don't get it. 

I'm not talking about you specifically... but think about it.  You have people who proudly claim African heritage in spite of all of the atrocities committed there.... but they are offended by people who claim Southern Heritage.  Why would anybody who is so soundly opposed to any references to slavery still identify themselves as "african american," the birthplace of the African slave trade and one of the few continents where slavery still exists today?

I'm not knocking your heritage, your choice of labels, or anything like that.... you need to do what makes you happy and proud.... as you should be.  My opinion isn't needed.  

But.... that's kinda how I feel when people who aren't like me start talking about who I am and where I come from.  It's really not their concern.

6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Are you offended by the flags of African countries, or even seeing the shape of Africa posted with all of the violence and genocide that occurred there and is still ongoing today?  It blows my mind that someone who prefers to be called "African-American" would even examine other peoples' history... I mean I really, really don't get it. 

I'm not talking about you specifically... but think about it.  You have people who proudly claim African heritage in spite of all of the atrocities committed there.... but they are offended by people who claim Southern Heritage.  Why would anybody who is so soundly opposed to any references to slavery still identify themselves as "african american," the birthplace of the African slave trade and one of the few continents where slavery still exists today?

I'm not knocking your heritage, your choice of labels, or anything like that.... you need to do what makes you happy and proud.... as you should be.  My opinion isn't needed.  

But.... that's kinda how I feel when people who aren't like me start talking about who I am and where I come from.  It's really not their concern.

Africa is still Africa. I wouldn’t be able to identify an African flag if I seen one lol. But it wouldn’t bother me at all if those countries are still up and running and weren’t defeated for the freedom of my people. Some people trace our heritage back to Africa but I actually think our heritage goes beyond that 

1 hour ago, Setx fan said:

Africa is still Africa. I wouldn’t be able to identify an African flag if I seen one lol. But it wouldn’t bother me at all if those countries are still up and running and weren’t defeated for the freedom of my people. Some people trace our heritage back to Africa but I actually think our heritage goes beyond that 

I would say everybody’s heritage dates back to Noah and his family.