Name Change

SmashMouth

When you realize that Bridge City used to be named "Prairie View," lol....

From Wiki

The city was originally named Prairie View, as it was located on the coastal grasslands of the upper Texas coastline. But in 1938, the Port Arthur-Orange Bridge (now known as the 

This is the hidden content, please
) was built, and the unincorporated area took on the name "Bridge City". Despite several previous attempts, the city did not incorporate until 1970.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

When you realize that Bridge City used to be named "Prairie View," lol....

Thanks for the lesson on BC. Strange that I know the history of my city but not others around the area. I found that vidor was named after a lumberman. Jasper after a revolutionary war hero killed attempting to plant the American flag at the storming of Savannah in 1779. Now that's history!

23 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Thanks for the lesson on BC. Strange that I know the history of my city but not others around the area. I found that vidor was named after a lumberman. Jasper after a revolutionary war hero killed attempting to plant the American flag at the storming of Savannah in 1779. Now that's history!

That's pretty cool, had no clue. 

5 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Both towns are synonymous with great injustices to people of color. Especially Vidor although Jasper’s Byrd murder was nationally significant. 

I have read that Vidor has actually been trying to change their image.  If true, I am delighted for that.

As for Jasper, a murder can happen anywhere.  The bad guys can get there on the same roads you drive.  It is how the people in the town react to the bad deed that should define the town.  And unlike what might happen in so many places; within 24 hours all three miscreants were sitting in jail.  And within about a year or so, two were sitting on death row (and have been executed) and the third was serving a life sentence.  That is what I hope people remember about Jasper, Texas.  They took care of business.  No need to change the name.  Frankly, I am offended by that suggestion.

45 minutes ago, j_dog said:

I have read that Vidor has actually been trying to change their image.  If true, I am delighted for that.

As for Jasper, a murder can happen anywhere.  The bad guys can get there on the same roads you drive.  It is how the people in the town react to the bad deed that should define the town.  And unlike what might happen in so many places; within 24 hours all three miscreants were sitting in jail.  And within about a year or so, two were sitting on death row (and have been executed) and the third was serving a life sentence.  That is what I hope people remember about Jasper, Texas.  They took care of business.  No need to change the name.  Frankly, I am offended by that suggestion.

You are highlighting my point exactly. Good deeds don’t matter. That’s why we are tearing down statues, taking knees, giving up our police to mob rule, and the list goes on... There is no room in the current climate for anything but change. Even though change continues to happen each day. You’re a racist for suggesting otherwise.