West Orange-Stark 51 Lumberton 44/FINAL-OT

WOSgrad

Great game by WOS Players and their coaching staff tonight.  They had the boys working hard.  WOS ruled the boards, Lumberton struggled mightily rebounding.  WOS played quicker, faster, and stronger.  WOS biggest weakness is turnovers.  At times the Lumberton had glimpses of good play and other times player appeared to just not care.  In over time Lumberton was down by 5, and one of their players on the floor was laughing/joking with a WOS player.  I sat behind the Lumberton bench tonight(it was a first), I’ve never noticed a team that just doesn’t pay attention to their coaches.  On every huddle both players and assistant coaches were laughing/smirking at what I can only assume is at what was being said(gives the appearance of a lack of respect).  One kid went into the game for the wrong player twice, they’d talk about plays and the boys would just kinda do whatever when they went back on the floor.  Their offensive sets were not crisp, they attempt screens but rarely was contact made with a defender.  I’ve never seen a coach have to do so much coaching of basic fundamentals.  Mitchell had to tell his team to block out on basically every possession, yet they still didn’t.  Lumberton has talent, hence why they kept it close.  The one thing that confused me was the lack of substituting.  If your players on the floor aren’t doing what they are told, causing you to get beat you’d think they’d try another player.  Lumberton only played 6 of their 9 players.  Lumberton has a tough road ahead of them if they want to make playoffs, there are definitely issues there that need to be resolved ASAP. 

In short WOS did an excellent job controlling the boards,  their defense forced numerous poor shots attempts by Lumberton.  Multiple turnovers by WOS and the raw talent of Lumberton kept the game tight.  But in overtime WOS took advantage of Lumberton turnovers and put them away.   Best of luck to WOS going forward, for now it looks like a playoff spot is theirs for the taking.  

16 minutes ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

My buddy told me Lumberton probably shot 25 percent from the field and they missed tons of fts and wide open layups. Said they had a chance to win it twice in final 30 seconds but couldn’t convert on really good looks.

It was a combination of poor shooting and poor shot selection.  But yes even as poorly as they played they could have won.  

7 hours ago, Double_Dribble said:

Great game by WOS Players and their coaching staff tonight.  They had the boys working hard.  WOS ruled the boards, Lumberton struggled mightily rebounding.  WOS played quicker, faster, and stronger.  WOS biggest weakness is turnovers.  At times the Lumberton had glimpses of good play and other times player appeared to just not care.  In over time Lumberton was down by 5, and one of their players on the floor was laughing/joking with a WOS player.  I sat behind the Lumberton bench tonight(it was a first), I’ve never noticed a team that just doesn’t pay attention to their coaches.  On every huddle both players and assistant coaches were laughing/smirking at what I can only assume is at what was being said(gives the appearance of a lack of respect).  One kid went into the game for the wrong player twice, they’d talk about plays and the boys would just kinda do whatever when they went back on the floor.  Their offensive sets were not crisp, they attempt screens but rarely was contact made with a defender.  I’ve never seen a coach have to do so much coaching of basic fundamentals.  Mitchell had to tell his team to block out on basically every possession, yet they still didn’t.  Lumberton has talent, hence why they kept it close.  The one thing that confused me was the lack of substituting.  If your players on the floor aren’t doing what they are told, causing you to get beat you’d think they’d try another player.  Lumberton only played 6 of their 9 players.  Lumberton has a tough road ahead of them if they want to make playoffs, there are definitely issues there that need to be resolved ASAP. 

In short WOS did an excellent job controlling the boards,  their defense forced numerous poor shots attempts by Lumberton.  Multiple turnovers by WOS and the raw talent of Lumberton kept the game tight.  But in overtime WOS took advantage of Lumberton turnovers and put them away.   Best of luck to WOS going forward, for now it looks like a playoff spot is theirs for the taking.  

Only played 6 of 9?   Wow, no wonder they’re struggling.  Had a little more depth last year, which was a big help.  I know they have some really good players starting, but you really need some help from the bench.

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

Only played 6 of 9?   Wow, no wonder they’re struggling.  Had a little more depth last year, which was a big help.  I know they have some really good players starting, but you really need some help from the bench.

I’ve watched them a lot this year they have the ability to go 7 even 8 deep which is basically what they had last year.  Their 7th man hasn’t played in the last two games not sure why, he had been playing and contributing prior.