Best pitcher to ever come out of your school?

Others to consider from West Brook would be Royal Thomas and Javier De Jesus

at PN-G.....Ben and Chris Weber......these guys were a great one two punch

When you had Ben(PN-G) vs Royal(WB)........these were some of the best match ups in the area, of any time period.....

BC....Steve Martin (92).....his team road him threw the playoffs, all one gamers, losing in the  state finals [he did not (could not)pitch].......

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect to the Mitchell boy, IMO he was above ave but to say he was one of, or the best would be a stretch. You had 2 boys come out of there the same yr 95-6 ?? that went on to Seminole jr college and one played Pro ball for the Yankees for a cpl of yrs, both played under Lance ?? before he went to Orangefield. The Mitchell boy wasn't ever drafted in his playing days, if my failing memory serves me correctly.

Mike Perkins from LCM in 82".  6'3" 195 lbs, called himself the "TANK".  Threw in the mid 90's with a nasty slider. LCM went three series deep in the playoffs that year under first year coach Vince Buffamonte.  Perkins went to Texas A&M redshirted and never played after that.  I beleive he's a Banker in the Dallas area.

LCM had several pitcher in the early 80's that threw well,  Brian Smith was pretty nasty in his day.

We are talking about best pitchers to come out your school who put up the numbers in there high school career. If your talking about Wade White he was good but in high school  he didn't pitch alot he played more outfield than anything. Mitchell and tate pitch from there freshman season till there senior season and thats very impressive. Maybe if Mitchell didn't pitch all those years he wouldn't have had arm trouble who knows, But when someone says he has had 2 surgeys and still put up good numbers in a good juco conference and at the Div 1 level thats impressive. It doesn't matter if your drafted or not. In my mind Mitchell was good enough to get drafted but arm problems kept him from being drafted thats just plain and simple. I seen the guy pitch all through out high school and thats just my opinion. But being drafted doesn't mean anything becasue those things happen. We are talking about the best pitcher that was the best for there school in high school and I think its either Tate, Mitchell, or Buchholz becasue those 3 guys put up gaudy numbers and if you want to go ny overall numbers and get hitting involve then it was Mitchell becasue he put up big time numbers hitting througout  his high school career.

Guest ltownbaseball9

I would have to go with both Mitchell and Buchholz......your not going wrong with either of them.......its common sense who the better pitcher is now, but in high school it was really really close. So i say its a toss up.

I must have misread the topic of this threadI sure didn't meen to take away anything from the Mitchell boy but I think you could cover a wide variety here. Wade pitched @ Seminole and was drafted and signed as a pitcher, dont matter what he did in HS. I really dont see where you can take anything away from a drafted player no matter when in a players career, as its a recongized talent from the highest level of baseball. Also I went to the JUCO site and did see they now had their FIRST all star game. 

Also I went to the JUCO site and did see they now had their FIRST all star game.  

That was the first year for that all star game. There is a Tex/NM all star game that is played at baylor. I played in the game in the fall of 06 and know for a fact that it was played before that. Like i said they just added an all star game. That was the FIRST one

@Nederland these 4,  Eric Cammack, Jesse Floyd, Brian Sanches and Brad Sullivan. I have to think about this awhile, maybe some of our posters have faced these guys and can chime in.

PNG......Allen Harrington

WOS.....John Patterson

WO.......Paul Richardson

Stark.....Tom Ball

LCM.......Beau Hale

HF.........Phillip Lynch

HJ..........Jeff Moye

BC.........Kevin Angelle

OF.........Jeff Granger

Jasper.....Girdley

Buna.......Tucker

TJ..........Bobby Taylor

Lincoln.....Mcleroy

How can you say Angelle from Bridge City when it was Dan Fletcher who was drafted right out of high school back in 2000.  He had the unfornate task of playing in the tough District 22-4A which also had Kyle Stutes PNG and Brad Sullivan Nederland.  People forget that this district was loaded with great pitchers not only thee three but also Josey Kelly and Michael Dixon from LCM.  We didnt have a weak team really that year.

do u no angelle got drafted right out of highschool also but instead of going he went to school

At PNG its either Jesse cooksey or Kyle stutes........Bridge City is a no brainer Dan Fletcher, Nederland- Brad Sullivan......I know what wade did but Mitchell put up just as better stats  in college then wade did except for the fact mitchell didn't get drafted because of arm trouble.....and Mitchell put up way better stats then wade did in HIGH School..Its either Buchholz or Mitchell the way you look at........

I heard a couple of pro scouts talking about Buchholz when he was at Angelina.

Said he was not scouted as a pitcher out of high school because his Fastball was mid to high 80's.  Angelina had a head coach that taught him a few things and as he matured his velocity increased to mid 90's.  He was a special player both ways in High School but his time at Angelina is what really pushed him into an elite group.  He was promoted to AAA Pawtucket Reds Sox a few days ago and we all wish him the best.  I hope to be watching him on TV soon.  Go Clay !

Jeff Levin was the coach at AC and thinking he's still there, my son and I had a talk with him after a Scouting Bureau tryout and will say he was at the top of the list on schools we were interested in because he was a professional pitcher. I was told by a MLB scout to look into schools with a X pitcher as a coach, at that time there were a few schools that were interested in my son with X pitchers or a bonifide pitching coach. These coaches and scouts recruit players on what they see in them NOT were they play. You take for intsance Josh Hamilton, he was the first pick in the 99 MLB draft, this kid threw in the mid-high 90s consistantly , had outstanding stats, but was drafted as a hitter, and never pitched again. If Clay had not gone to AC he possibly would never had made it as a pitcher. BTW didn't  Mitchell try and 'walk-on' at San Jac and then transfer.

while playing in district 224A, i faced floyd, sullivan, fletcher, stutes, cooksey, mitchell, bucholz, tate,  moye, girdley.  the best of those guys is a coin flip between sullivan and floyd.  the other guys were pretty good but couldnt touch those two.   

HJ was in 4a in 97-98 ONLY so I dont see where you could have faced Mitchel and Moye as there were 3-4 yrs between them. HJ never faced Floyd, Sullivan, Fletcher, Cooskey, Bucholz, or Tate, >> just Girdley, Stutes. I dont remember who PNG threw in 97 in the Bi-dist, but do know they threw Stutes in 98. HJ could have faced Floyd or Sullivan in the Ned tourn but for sure no others mentioned here.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder