Best pitcher to ever come out of your school?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you base it on High school career its prob Jarod Tate or Josh Mitchell back in the 98-2001 years, there team just couldn't hit those years, and they were the starting the pitchers for all 4 years,but if you base it on who has had the better career no doubt its clay buchholz the guy is a stud. But clay buchholz is the  best now but in high school it was prob either tate or mitchell...

For Jasper, probably Phil Hennigan.  Pitched no-hitter at state in 1963.  1964 record was 18-3.  He was a totally dominating pitcher, and pitched 5 years for Cleveland Indians.

There were several good pitchers at Jasper over the years, but never one who so thoroughly dominated the opposition AND took the team to the state tournament as did Hennigan.  Oh yes, he had a 1-0 victory over Nolan Ryan in 1963.   :)

Also, at the time at least, was the youngest pitcher to ever win a game at state, winning over LaMesa as a 15 year old freshman in 1961.

How can you say Angelle from Bridge City when it was Dan Fletcher who was drafted right out of high school back in 2000.  He had the unfornate task of playing in the tough District 22-4A which also had Kyle Stutes PNG and Brad Sullivan Nederland.  People forget that this district was loaded with great pitchers not only thee three but also Josey Kelly and Michael Dixon from LCM.  We didnt have a weak team really that year.

i disagree, buchholz was completely untouchable.

Bucholz was a good HS pitcher but he wasn't even recruited as a pitcher.  He went to McNeese as a position player then transferred to Angelina as a 2 way guy.  The rest, as they say, is history but he was not an 'untouchable' HS pitcher.

Mitchell Started for 4 years and pitched for 3, Tate was a 3 year starter not 4.

Clay started for 4 years and pitched for 3.

I would say Clay was as good if not better than they were because Tate and Mitchell had better teams around them and didnt have to carry as much as Bucholtz did.

I know he played at galveston Juco and made the all star game and put up very good numbers there, and was a starting pitcher for Texas A&M corpus christi for 2 years an put up descent numbers. But I hear he had alot of arm problems and a couple of surgeys so thats impressive with a bad arm. As for as tate I don't know what happen to him. What is Mitchell doing these days do you know.

Didn't mitchell get new comer of the year is freshman year???? Also I know he was a heck of a hitter to becasue he killed us when Dustin Long senior year. Yeah but tate and mitchell had to pitch against floyd, sullivan, fletcher,Girdley, Gray, stutes, so thats some good pitchers they pitch against.......I mean who knows I think its Mitchell or Buchholz and whats odd there cousins lol.......

Here is a list from some of the schools:

West Brook - Castolenia was the best I ever saw there.  Not overpowering but a pure winner...and took the ball anytime he could get it. 

Pt. Arthur - McElroy or X Hernandez.  Tough call either way.

Orange - John Patterson from WOS (and, although I never saw him, they say his Dad was pretty good as well).  Beau Hale from LCM was dominant (I never saw Perkins who supposedly was pretty good.  Clayton Ehlert, although not the velocity that Hale had, was very good and very much a 'refuse to lose' guy).

PNG - I haven't decided.  A lot of good arms have come through down there.

Nederland - Sullivan.

Bridge City - Did not see Fletcher.  Angelle of the ones I saw. 

OF - Granger.

Lumberton - Bucholtz.

I know he played at galveston Juco and made the all star game and put up very good numbers there, and was a starting pitcher for Texas A&M corpus christi for 2 years an put up descent numbers. But I hear he had alot of arm problems and a couple of surgeys so thats impressive with a bad arm. As for as tate I don't know what happen to him. What is Mitchell doing these days do you know.

What All-star game are you refering to?? No such thing in JUCO ball.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder