Best pitcher to ever come out of your school?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bulldog

do u no angelle got drafted right out of highschool also but instead of going he went to school

Fletcher was drafted alot higher than Angelle too...i can't decide tho on who is better......

This post should have read Pitchers>plural, as there have been more than one at several schools, with the resources available today v/s 8-10yrs back, you really cant fairly judge a player from then v/s now. IMO it would be like comparing Ruth and Bonds. 

If I go by what i have seen with my own eyes, statistics aside, the best pitcher to come out of BC was a guy by the name of Terry Cockerham.  He got injured his senior year when someone talked him into punting the football and his fastball was never the same.  This was probably before most of your time!

Fletcher was drafted alot higher than Angelle too...i can't decide tho on who is better......

If I go by what i have seen with my own eyes, statistics aside, the best pitcher to come out of BC was a guy by the name of Terry Cockerham.  He got injured his senior year when someone talked him into punting the football and his fastball was never the same.  This was probably before most of your time!

Goober Anderson hands down the best to ever pitch in High School for BC. Still holds most school records,if not all, for every pitching category. In '85 set State record for k's in a playoff game(19 I think).

He went to McNeese as a position player because McNeese did not have clue!    He should have been a Pitcher/SS.  They tried to put him in outfield because he has so much speed.  He was outstanding at SS and McNeese has no clue.  If they did they would have had him pitching, hence the fact that he is the Boston Red Sox to pitching prospect in thier farm system.  I my opionion he is the best all around baseball player to ever come out of this area.  If boston would put him in the field, he would also excell at that and could probably be in the top ten in stolen base in the majors.  This kid is the real deal.

Bucholz was a good HS pitcher but he wasn't even recruited as a pitcher.  He went to McNeese as a position player then transferred to Angelina as a 2 way guy.  The rest, as they say, is history but he was not an 'untouchable' HS pitcher.

My previous post was in reference to this post.  Sorry.

The most dominant pitcher was Steve Martin (92 BC).  That year the district was very good and Coach Young road him all the way to the 4A state championship.    Alot of people just remeber the recent players like Angelle.  Martin brought BC to state in a much tougher district and stiffer playoff competion then Angelle. 

Guest Orangeboy

The most dominant pitcher was Steve Martin (92 BC).   That year the district was very good and Coach Young road him all the way to the 4A state championship.    Alot of people just remeber the recent players like Angelle.   Martin brought BC to state in a much tougher district and stiffer playoff competion then Angelle.   

You nailed that one on the head.

He went to McNeese as a position player because McNeese did not have clue!    He should have been a Pitcher/SS.  They tried to put him in outfield because he has so much speed.  He was outstanding at SS and McNeese has no clue.  If they did they would have had him pitching, hence the fact that he is the Boston Red Sox to pitching prospect in thier farm system.  I my opionion he is the best all around baseball player to ever come out of this area.  If boston would put him in the field, he would also excell at that and could probably be in the top ten in stolen base in the majors.  This kid is the real deal.

Stupid question....what's this players name?

He went to McNeese as a position player because McNeese did not have clue!    He should have been a Pitcher/SS.   They tried to put him in outfield because he has so much speed.  He was outstanding at SS and McNeese has no clue.  If they did they would have had him pitching, hence the fact that he is the Boston Red Sox to pitching prospect in thier farm system.   I my opionion he is the best all around baseball player to ever come out of this area.   If boston would put him in the field, he would also excell at that and could probably be in the top ten in stolen base in the majors.   This kid is the real deal.

Not to dog Bucholtz b/c he is really doing well in the Red Sox organization but there is a lot of 'selective memory' here.  Not only did McNeese pass on him as a pitcher...so did everyone else.  Angelina wanted him as a position player as well.  For some reason, he showed up in Lufkin with 5 more MPH on his fastball and went from there.

And, again as a HS player, he wasn't near the player Bruce was.  People forget Bruce threw 90+ off the hill in HS...which would have been the most Clay ever touched back then.

With that said, both have progressed well once they entered the prof ranks.  Clay is one of (if not the) #1 pitching prospect in the Red Sox organ while Jay is prob #1 position player prospect in Reds (he's also ranked 1 or 2 ovrerall).  Lot of proud folks in SE Tx on these 2 alone.

BTW, Aaron Thompson (a 1 time Bmt kid) was not the #5 pick...but he was a 1st rounder)

Buchholz was 15-0 as a Junior I gurantee you Bruce isn't that great of a pitcher. Buchholz has always been a great pitcher. Maybe he wasn't a pitcher becasue when your a freshman you aren't going to usually start at the Div 1 level as a pitcher. Also Buchholz tweaked his mechanics a little bit too that help him out so stop being jealous of someone working hard just becasue your not there doesn't mean you have to say he gained 5mph somehow its called hard work.......Buchholz is alot faster than Bruce theirs no doubt about that and also arm wise buchhols has a stronger arm but Bruce does hit better but overall Athlete is Buchholz no doubt in my mind.......Both great players...

So you're telling me Bucholtz ran below a 6.5, which is what Bruce ran? He couldn't hit like Jay and both threw 90 off the mound. Bruce also kept himself out of legal trouble which Clay did not. IMO, Bruce is better but pitching comes as a premium in the bigs which is why Clay might be in the show before Jay. Bruce will be there before you know it though

Bucholtz vs Bruce (for real) July 22 both AAA teams met each other.......in 5 innings of work Bucholtz struck Bruce out twice, swinging.......from the 6th on Bruce ended up with 2hits and 3 RBI's and the team victory........Bucholtz left the game losing 2-1 and took the loss.......

on a side note the night before Bruce hit 2 HR's one to right, one to left.....

I hope this is just one of many meetings between the two!!

They Say clay beat ellsbury in a race and he supposed to be the fastest guy in Minor League Baseball and they said that he would have been a top 8 round pick if he didn't pitch and he ran a 6.4 at Lowell when he played there so yeah I say he's faster than Jay........I mean we didn't hear about Jay untill his senior year of baseball everyone knew of clay when he was a sophmore........no disrespect but Jay could hold his jock pitching.......Clay is the better athlete by far he almost went to go play Div 1 football............

This discussion needs to stop. Clay and Jay are both GREAT players,and very very good friends. It doesnt matter who runs the fastest, who can throw the hardest, or who can hit the best, they are both very close to a dream. Without injury both will be in the Majors very shortly. So just let it go, but if you need to know and you want to know Clay ran a 4.25 forty and a 6.2 sixty and Jay is right ther with him. If you want praise them great, if you want to cheer for them great, if you want to compare them ok but please do it in the correct manor. After Clay and Jay played each other last sunday night they went out and ate and talked about the furture not about the past, so lets do the same for them and wish them the best.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder