OFFICIALS

THE DUDE

2 hours ago, THE DUDE said:

I heard of at least 3 local school as of yesterday that did not have a crew for Friday night.

What will happen if these schools don't get officials?

Sounds/looks like they are scraping the bottom of the barrel just to fill spots. I would think these teams deserve better than that.

I think the situation is only gonna get worse.  Too much disrespect from parents and players. They already weren’t doing it for the money... once you take away the enjoyment there’s not much reason to officiate. 

15 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

As a follow up to this... I’m nowhere near qualified to call football games... but I honestly might commit to working on the chain gang for a season. I’ll bet there are others that feel the same way. Where would someone go to see what’s available?

This is the hidden content, please

10 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

As a follow up to this... I’m nowhere near qualified to call football games... but I honestly might commit to working on the chain gang for a season. I’ll bet there are others that feel the same way. Where would someone go to see what’s available?

If you could get a 3 man crew together, that can commit to the home games for the season ... most schools would be happy to take you right now. Most schools in the area have to pay for an extra crew of officials to do it, and you don't have to have officials doing it until the playoffs. Contact whoever at the school that gets officials for the games and let them know. I don't know about every school but the AD usually gets them for the smaller schools. 

Or if you want to get paid 

This is the hidden content, please

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I think the situation is only gonna get worse.  Too much disrespect from parents and players. They already weren’t doing it for the money... once you take away the enjoyment there’s not much reason to officiate. 

I heard that the houston area has to send officials over to this area to call games.

That seems like a long drive just to call a football game

11 minutes ago, THE DUDE said:

Are all these games being played on Thursday because of a shortage of officials?

Doubt it, alot of these schools that have their own stadium more than likely have that Friday off. I know for this week we do here in Port Arthur. Before Imelda BISD was gonna have United vs WB on Thursday with Friday off but that changed. 

Coaches make officiating a nightmare. The shortage is absolutely due to officials not having the coping mechanism to deal with these coaches. HS officials do not have the luxury of someone in the booth communicating through a head set. Don't have instant replay. Each game is reviewed and criticized to the tenth degree. These reviews do make officials better and they all want to do a better job. Its absolutely NOT for the pay. Its for the love of the game and make a little spending money. Anyone that gripes and complains from the stands should attend some TASO training and get involved to make a difference. They call it like they see it and could care less who wins the game. Most officials have good jobs and dont need the money. The drop out rate of officials is staggering after year 1. GET INVOLVED!!!!!!!!